Vizsla owner questions

BigJake

Vizsla owner questions

Post by BigJake » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:02 pm

I work parttime at a kennel, they raise shorthairs there. While working there we took in a little vizsla pup, I believe she was 8 months old. I have to admit that I no nothing about this breed, other than they are a pointer. I would like to say this was just the happiest, friendly, loveable little dog I think I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of puppies. I know the answers will be bias with all dog owners, but those of you that have had, or still have, what are the highs and lows with this breed, how do they do for hunting, are they quick learners, or is this a breed that is slow to develop. Every night I come home I just can't help but smile thinking about my little vizsla friend.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Vizsla owner questions

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm

They look good to me! :)

picture by vizsla girl

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:25 pm

They do look good, do you have any experience with them Sharon?

V-John

Post by V-John » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Have five in the house. Have fostered around at least 20... What do you want to know?

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:32 pm

V-john
How are these dogs for hunting, are they slow learners, are they a soft dog? I know if they are all like the puppy I have played with all week, they sure are loveable. Who are reputable breeders, what are good lines to look for. I am not saying I am getting one, but they sure have peaked my interest to do some research on them. I would like to know some good starting points.
Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:14 pm

BigJake wrote:They do look good, do you have any experience with them Sharon?
No. Life isn't long enough to have all the dogs I'd like. :) I've had beagles, 1 chessie, setters , GSPs and JRTs

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:47 am

They are really nice dogs, nice temperaments, clean, well-behaved, hunt well but for folks in the US and especially trial people they are very much in the continental style like other breeds that get criticized.

I haven't seen too many that have been ruined by US breeders tying to make smaller, faster trial dogs out of them.

Are there more bench types out there, yes, but it wouldn't be hard to find a nice field dog that is true to its heritage.

I really like them.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:42 am

V's are frequently referred to as Velcro dogs. They love to be with their people. They are very intelligent and willing to please. Mine is a real lover - sweet dog. He has his MH title and does enjoy hunting. He enjoys agility, youth hunts, sleeping in our bed and a host of other things that a house dog would enjoy. He's as smart as the border collies I had when growing up.

Having Pointers, GSP's and a V (plus fostering many and hunting over many other V's) I will always have a V - they are absolutely great dogs. They like a lot of attention. Join a Vizsla club - there are several good ones out there. My dog comes from dual lines (CH parents plus hunt test and FT placements for parents). You do want to do a lot of research to find a breeder that is looking at conformation plus hunting ability.

My pointers LIVE for birds - my Vizsla lives to please me. He's not the bird hunting machine that I have in my Pointers - but he is a heck of a well behaved and obedient dog. He finds birds and LOVES to retrieve. He also very much enjoys swimming. Mine was sort of soft - didn't take much correction to get what I wanted. He is now 9 and I have hardly ever needed to use a collar for the past 4-5 years.

cbump

Post by cbump » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Love mine, everything said above is true. I'll also add that they are super clean and do not smell like a dog. Real sweethearts.

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=44480

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:15 am

Few H.V.'s will tear the countryside apart in a search for game, most of the breed that I see here are close in workers. I am training a 2 years old HV and a 12 months old brit at present. The brit pup still goes too fast for her nose and the HV finds game behind her . The HV has a very good nose, is a good pointer and retriever , she is capable of winning a woodlands trial or what we call a "hedging and ditching" trial but would be very unlikely to even get placed in an open ground trial, she lacks the range and pace.

I have yet to meet a viszla with a bad temperament but I suppose there must be a few around. The breed is very loving, very willing to please and although many are a bit "soft" and slow to mature they are also not stupid, they learn easily if the training is gentle.

When out working I find the vizzie I train to be calmer and easier to control than , for example, the average Brittany or GSP.
The HV is not the breed I would choose if I was trying to set the grass on fire in a field trial but as an easy dog to hunt over I like 'em.
This is Rosie with 3 pheasants in front of her.

Bill T.

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:21 pm

What Bill says may be true for the V`s across the pond. But here in the states we can find breedings for Horseback FT that will set the grass on fire or we can find breedings that will work closer. All depends on what you want. Just like the GSP over here, just narrow it down too what type of dog you want and then find a breeder that is producing those types of dogs. Some of my breedings are Horseback FT dogs and the next may be a foot hunting dog, or like my last litter, breed for HB FT dogs and then use them for Trialing or foot hunting, most of the pups went to hunting homes and I kept the picks for Trialing and breed stock. All are excelling and I have a couple of the owners that want another.
As a breed I always tell the new owners that their pup will be the cleanest and smartest dog they have ever owned{field dog} Once in a while one will say that their Lab or whatever was very smart. I tell just wait and tell me that in 6 months. I have yet too have anyone prove me wrong. They are usually amazed.
In regards too training the Vizsla does not like a heavy hand. Cookie cutter trainers usually struggle with them and deem them soft. But in the right hands they are a breeze too work with and learn quickly. They are very affectionate and love to be with you. It is actually one of their faults when FTing. They tend too come back and find you rather than staying forward but most hunters want a dog that checks in so it isn`t a huge problem but is the reason that some FTers don`t really like them, it is harder too win all breed trials.
If there was a "Most Improved Breed" award given by the AF or even the AKC, it would go too the Vizsla.IMO. In the last 15 yrs we have had some great dogs that actually changed the breed. Raany ,Ruger , Diamond, and Duke come too mind, but there are others that have contributed also and many of their lineage are actually doing just as good if not better, just the way it is supposed to work. It is not breeding Like to Like, it is breeding the Best to the Best. :wink:
But be sure to do your homework when looking for a pup. As with the other breeds there are some real stinkers out there. But if you get a well bred dog you will be more than happy with it.JMO

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:40 am

Thank you all for your answers, I am not sure if I will ever get a vizsla, I sure enjoyed playing with that puppy, I do know they are on my list now though:) is there any health concerns with the breed to watch out for. I know so little about this breed, and any of the lines out there. I got a lot of studying to do, and probably a lot more questions.
Thanks everyone.

Jaggerbush

Post by Jaggerbush » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 am

I have a 3 year old vizsla. He's a great hunting dog. He will tear up the woods for grouse but not as much in the field for pheasants and will always find birds. He will run all day. I got lucky with him because I got him from a breeder that never hunted her dogs. Right now I hunt with four gsp's and a weim and he out performs them all. They all are close in age. He's definatly a softy around the house, but a machine in the field. As far as health he has allegies that are skin related.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vman

Post by Vman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 am

is there any health concerns with the breed to watch out for.
In well bred dog with a strong Field pedigree, not really, and most breeders will guarantee the health of the pup for at least 2 yrs. Does sh_t happen? of course, but most V`s are very healthy.

Jaggerbush, have you tried Yogurt on him?

K3Britt

Post by K3Britt » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Really convincing, looking more into Vizslas before I make my final decision.

How do they compare in size to a GSP? Are there lines that are bigger/smaller?

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 pm

I love all the photos!

Our Vizsla is 7 months old, just learning the ropes. But she is a smart, loving dog for sure. Technically she is my 10 year old daughter's dog, so loving is just perfect for that, plus I get a hunting partner.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Vman wrote:In well bred dog with a strong Field pedigree, not really, and most breeders will guarantee the health of the pup for at least 2 yrs. Does sh_t happen? of course, but most V`s are very healthy.

Jaggerbush, have you tried Yogurt on him?
There's some well known vizsla field lines that throw hip dysplasia... and some with epilepsy as well... of course with a small gene pool like V's it's hard to 100% avoid everything.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:53 pm

There's some well known vizsla field lines that throw hip dysplasia... and some with epilepsy as well... of course with a small gene pool like V's it's hard to 100% avoid everything.
True.

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Just out of curiosity which well known vizsla lines throw hip displaysia?

cbump

Post by cbump » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:02 pm

K3Britt wrote:Really convincing, looking more into Vizslas before I make my final decision.

For the most part, smaller than GSPs. My boy is going to be 45 lbs tops.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 pm

K3Britt wrote:Really convincing, looking more into Vizslas before I make my final decision.

Just depends. I've seen 90 pound vizslas, (way out of standard, and not a "well bred" vizsla) and I have one that might be right at 40. She's a little thing.

I also have a male that is probably right at 65 pounds.