shivering?

WillieELk78GSP

shivering?

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm

My year and a half GSP seems to shiver for no reason, just wondering if anyone had any insight to why she does this, its not cold out and its in the house. I know of another GSP that does this frequently. Does this breed just do this or maybe something else is making her do this, So why does she shiver like this?
Thanks,
Will

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: shivering?

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm

excitement, anxiety ??

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 pm

The GSP that I just lost last spring did it off and on his whole life. I believe, as Sharon said it was probably just excitement. But whatever, I never worried about it. It is just the way some dogs/breeds are IMO.

Charlie

SD44

Post by SD44 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 am

My oldest GSP does it all the time. If he can see a bunny rabbit, squirrel or something when he looks out the window he starts shivering and you can see all his muscles twitching. He even does it right before I turn him loose at a trial. With him I think it is both the excitement and anxiety all at the same time.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 am

Mine does it while laying in his bed. To me it seems he is burning energy. This happens even after a good hunt.???????

quailhunter11

Post by quailhunter11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:02 pm

My 4 yr old female does this in anticipation of smelling birds, always has.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:09 am

Mine learned that when it shivered at back door in winter my wife would let it in, now she does it even when it's 90 in the summer to come in.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 pm

fishvik wrote:Mine learned that when it shivered at back door in winter my wife would let it in, now she does it even when it's 90 in the summer to come in.
LOl

And they say dogs aren't smart. I started giving my old dog a little vegetable oil on his food to get her to eat better. Now the other two sit there looking at me saying, " So where's mine?"

SD44

Post by SD44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 am

fishvik wrote:Mine learned that when it shivered at back door in winter my wife would let it in, now she does it even when it's 90 in the summer to come in.
LOL, and I thought if was just our pups that shivered in the summer.

Nutmeg247

Post by Nutmeg247 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:22 am

My pointer will do the shiver with butt wiggle when he sees a leash, backpack, etc., shiver when he gets out of the crate outdoors, and shiver when he hears a train (that last is just an "I'm nervous" shiver, I think). It would be interesting to know if coated high-drive dogs like mals or Border Collies did this; I have seen labs do it. It's easier to see on a pointer for sure.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:08 pm

I call it the coiled spring effect.....ready to go at a seconds notice.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 pm

The only time I see a dog shiver is from two things:

1. anxiety or excitement
2. trying to keep warm

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 am

My shorthair has shivered her whole life (11yrs) when the thermo drops below 70 shiver wiffee covers her with a blanket she wears a coat all winter long and the white box(heater duct) is her best friend... while I type this she is upstairs under the blankies in bed... I have seen many shorthairs shivering.

PistolEd

Post by PistolEd » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:14 am

I was out working in the yard yesterday and it was cold and breezy. Lots of shivering from our dog. The wife kept taking him in because she felt sorry for him, but would bring him out a few minutes later because he wanted out so bad. After going in/out 3-4 times, he got to shiver outside with me... Later that night, she was looking at some of the kids old sweatshirts and trying to figure out a way to fit one on him. :)

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm

My lab has never shivered from cold. But she shivers/quivers on the dock with excitement.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 am

My pointer used to shiver a lot. I did some investigation. One of the possible causes can be too low body fat content. It turned out much of the shivering in my pointer was from this. Her shivers would occur constantly. Even when bedded in warmth. We picked up her weight/fat a bit and she lost most of the shivers.
She still shivers with excitement. But not just laying in bed.

natel24

Post by natel24 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:27 pm

My five year old gsp has done it his whole life while laying down or sleeping. no reason why.

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 am

roaniecowpony wrote:My pointer used to shiver a lot. I did some investigation. One of the possible causes can be too low body fat content. It turned out much of the shivering in my pointer was from this. Her shivers would occur constantly. Even when bedded in warmth. We picked up her weight/fat a bit and she lost most of the shivers.
She still shivers with excitement. But not just laying in bed.
I have had the same question.
My 3 yr old GSP will also (sometimes) shiver while just laying there on a warm day and not sleeping. I know he is not cold or nervous at the time. I like your thought on body fat as a cause. But how would you add body fat to a GSP which has so much energy and burns up everything I feed him? I give him (Purina Pro High Energy)2 cups in a.m. and 2 cups in p.m. year round and an extra 2 on hunting days. And recently I have broken my rule :oops: of no people food and he has been getting some plate leftovers - he loved Thanksgiving! But he hasn't an ounce of fat on him. Do you suggest a different dog food or supplement?
Also, I don't know why but when I bought the F150 crew cab (he has to stay in the back seat all the time), he shivers almost the whole time back there (for the last year)He didn't do that in the SUV. He has been driving with me 70% of the time when I work for 3 years, so it is not like he is uneasy traveling. Maybe he doesn't like Fords.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 am

Nerves, anxiety, more of a mental issue IMO. To put weight on a dog you increase calories, add some oil to the dogs food.