need some advice

shocker35

need some advice

Post by shocker35 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:33 am

Good morning. I need some advice. So recently I have decided to get a dog and what better dog than a hunting dog. I have narrowed my search down to a brittany. I have hunted with them but never owned one. I know about their energy level and I have a fenced yard and there is enough land and parks near me where they can get a good run in on a daily basis to keep their energy in check. I started to contact breeders and have found the priced ranges from $600-$800 for a female. Is that a pretty regular price for the breed and with a hunting bloodline. I dont really care too much about "show quality" or anything of that nature. I just want a high performing dog which I am ready to invest the time, energy, and money into. Now my question is, that I have also contacted the two major brittany rescues and I was curious if its worth it trying to rescue a dog that is under a year old? Has anyone ever rescued a brittany with any success? Also what are some things I need to be asking of the breeders? Any other helpful info you have please share.

Thank you for your time and advice. Happy hunting.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: need some advice

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:27 am

Reputable breeder = health assurances & proven hunting stock

Rescues = uncertain background, possibility that the dog won't ever hunt, health issues are possible

That said, I have two current rescues that we hunt with (among our other dogs). I do foster all the time though - probably well over 50 dogs - I have placed less than 10 in hunting homes (including my two). If you get a rescue you need to be committed to the dog whether it ever hunts or not. A lot less uncertainty if you buy from a reputable breeder. The cheapest thing you'll ever do with a dog is the purchase price - if you end up going with a sub-standard breeder (or a rescue) you could end up with much heartache and lots of vet bills!

That doesn't mean that your reputable breeder dog won't cost anything in it's lifespan - but the chances are better for a healthier dog that will actually hunt.

SD44

Post by SD44 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:37 am

RoostersMom wrote:Reputable breeder = health assurances & proven hunting stock

Rescues = uncertain background, possibility that the dog won't ever hunt, health issues are possible

That said, I have two current rescues that we hunt with (among our other dogs). I do foster all the time though - probably well over 50 dogs - I have placed less than 10 in hunting homes (including my two). If you get a rescue you need to be committed to the dog whether it ever hunts or not. A lot less uncertainty if you buy from a reputable breeder. The cheapest thing you'll ever do with a dog is the purchase price - if you end up going with a sub-standard breeder (or a rescue) you could end up with much heartache and lots of vet bills!

That doesn't mean that your reputable breeder dog won't cost anything in it's lifespan - but the chances are better for a healthier dog that will actually hunt.
Great advice. +1

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 am

First place I'd look is to one of the posters on here, K-9.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

K9 or chukar 12... Really good dogs there.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 pm

I think if you are going to spend that much money as well as the time training the dog you should get a puppy that is well bred in all respects not just field-wise.

There is nothing wrong with having a good looking dog that represents all aspects of the standard.

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I would look to K-Nine or to Chukar 12 as well. Both really know the breed and have some great dogs.

cbump

Post by cbump » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Do either of the breeders mentioned in this thread have websites?

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 am

You can pm them on here.