Wanted to know if awd drive can handle tough road condtions

gsp4ever

Wanted to know if awd drive can handle tough road condtions

Post by gsp4ever » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm looking at buying a 2006 gmc Yukon xl denali that has awd. Just wondering if anyone that owns one has experience with how it handles muddy dirt roads. I don't know much about cars and have looked up awd versus 4 wheel drive and just seem to get different opinions on which is better. I have tried to get information from the gmc dealership but seem to get biased information pushing the pros of awd and saying it is the same as 4wd. Hoping to find out if the denali can handle hunting trips or would better off sticking with a suburban with 4wd. Maybe I should be asking this at a car forum but figured you guys would understand the conditions I want to make sure the truck can handle on hunting trips. Thanks for any help you could offer.

pointer26

Re: Wanted to know if awd drive can handle tough road condtions

Post by pointer26 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 pm

It really depends on the roads you are going to travel in. I have a lifted subaru that's awd it will handle some mud and rocky terrain. The clearance of the subaru allows me to ride over some rocky and bushy terrain and not hit anything. I also have a toyota pick up and when I want to climb to the tallest hills and climb over big rocks nothing beats
a transfer case ( low range 4x4 gears). I have never gotten stuck in mud with my toyota and come close to spending the night with my subaru. If I hunt quail I use the subaru and If I hunt Quckar I use the toyota

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:11 pm

I owned a 2004 GMC Yukon and it did good. If you get into deep mud or snow, you have to shut off the traction control. I bought mine in Alaska and went through 2 winters up there and 1 winter hunting in central Oregon. I was really impressed with the stabilitrac system and it saved me more than a couple times.

john

gsp4ever

Post by gsp4ever » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for the help.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I have an "06" Chev/ Equinox AWD,and I think it will go places a 4 WD will not. I was really surprised!

tdbmd

Post by tdbmd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Our '11 Explorer has AWD system and it does surprisingly well.

Tires are a problem with heavy mud but in snow and other slick conditions it is pretty good. The tires you have DO matter if it is muddy.