9week old pup has red or pink eye

chrisss

9week old pup has red or pink eye

Post by chrisss » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:46 pm

My pup just started having red or pink eye for a couple of days now and have started to notice eye booger. Any idea what it is and how to treat it? He has been around the yard only until today. I took him out to for a little duck hunting but that's it. Please help

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: 9week old pup has red or pink eye

Post by shags » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 am

Have you checked under his eyelids for a seed or or chunk of grass? If he's squinty in that eye check thoroughly.

I have had good results with Vetericyn. I buy the all purpose spray and use it as an eyewash. It's available in a gel especially for eyes but the all purpose is more versatile. You can get it at tack stores or livestock supply places like TSC.

You can buy opthalmic ointment from your vet or vet supply. It's expensive at around $9 a tiny little tube. Instead, I use triple antibiotic ointment from walmart which costs about $3 for a big tube. If you go this route, be sure to buy the petroleum based OINTMENT not the creme. And DO NOT use anything with hydrocortisone in it unless directed by your vet ( it can do damage to an eye with a scratch on the cornea). The generic 3X ointment is thicker than the opthalmic when you first apply it, and you have to work a little harder to get it under the eyelid, but it melts quickly.

If you treat the dog yourself and the eye doesn't improve in a day or so, see your vet. Eye problems are not something i'd fool around with for more than that.

Good luck with your pup.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Any way to post a picture of it? At that age depending on the breed,I think you have a pretty good chance that it could be "cherry eye".

chrisss

Post by chrisss » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the help guys looks like it was just dirt in his eyes it cleared out after I rinsed it out

SD44

Post by SD44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm

If it doesn't clear up by tomorrow. I would take the pup to the vet. It is probably pink eye and needs to be treated as soon as possible. Eyes are a medical emergency.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:09 am

I keep eye wash on hand to wash out eyes when hunting in more dusty or weedy areas and also the saline based one is great for if you need to flush out a wound.