Dog chasing tweetys

Benjammin

Dog chasing tweetys

Post by Benjammin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:29 pm

What would you do for your dog running after tweety birds when they fly? He'll point them then they fly then he's gone.... Annoying...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Snake bites

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Teach him a solid recall, say NO BIRD, and get him into more gamebirds and he'll give up the nonsense birds.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:25 am

I'm trying with the game there just far and few between around here :? Ad what Exactly do you mean ( solid recall) like he comes when he's called? Every time no matter what...

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 am

Benjammin wrote:I'm trying with the game there just far and few between around here :? Ad what Exactly do you mean ( solid recall) like he comes when he's called? Every time no matter what...
Yes.

Charlie

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm about 80% there with that.

SD44

Re: Dog chasing tweetys

Post by SD44 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:22 am

Mine use to do the same thing but the more birds I was able to get him the better he became at not chasing the birds.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:51 am

Cheer him on, he's learn to hunt. Once he get's going on either pigeon's or game birds, he'll quit the "bleep" birds on his own. Never shoot a "bleep" bird.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:03 am

I took one of my youngins out Saturday for opening day quail. He's been on pigeons and quail all spring and summer. First meadowlark that flew he was gone over the hill. Chased tweety birds all morning. Then all of the sudden it was like a light bulb came on and he just quit chasing them. Guess he figured out it wasn't worth the spent energy.

I would guess that your dog will soon quit as well.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:43 pm

99% quit on their own if you let them be.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:51 pm

DonF wrote:Cheer him on, he's learn to hunt. Once he get's going on either pigeon's or game birds, he'll quit the "bleep" birds on his own. Never shoot a "bleep" bird.
x2

How old is the dog?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:26 pm

duckn66 wrote:I took one of my youngins out Saturday for opening day quail. He's been on pigeons and quail all spring and summer. First meadowlark that flew he was gone over the hill. Chased tweety birds all morning. Then all of the sudden it was like a light bulb came on and he just quit chasing them. Guess he figured out it wasn't worth the spent energy.

I have been waiting for 50 years and a couple hundred dogs for the light bulb to come on. Hasn't yet.

Dogs learn as they learn, one step forward, then 1/2 step back..

To the Op, it eill work out, in time.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:26 pm

duckn66 wrote:I took one of my youngins out Saturday for opening day quail. He's been on pigeons and quail all spring and summer. First meadowlark that flew he was gone over the hill. Chased tweety birds all morning. Then all of the sudden it was like a light bulb came on and he just quit chasing them. Guess he figured out it wasn't worth the spent energy.

I have been waiting for 50 years and a couple hundred dogs for the light bulb to come on. Hasn't yet.

Dogs learn as they learn, one step forward, then 1/2 step back..

To the Op, it eill work out, in time.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Ben -

I think a youngster chasing "bleep" birds in the field is a fantastic learning experience. They get all charged up chasing those swarms of larks. I think the key is YOUR response.

I suggest your response should be a fairly active ignoring of the entire thing especially after the first time the dog chases them.

By active ignoring I mean just walking on as if nothing was going on. It is OK to stand and watch for a while, but ultimately, you want the dog to understand that you are totally uninterested in that type of bird.

I have yet to have a dog that will prefer to chase larks and such in the field when there is a quail, pigeon, pheasant,etc. in the area.

I will say that it may be that a dog will never completely lose its desire to mess with these birds. I had a VERY reliable pointer who would go to mousing when there were no birds to be found. If the dog hunted for a couple hours and there was nothing to be found, she would start looking for field mice and pointing them. It was as if she just had to point SOMETHING.

It was actually pretty comical to watch her point a clump of grass, then pounce and then point again. I always thought it was the puppy in her coming out. Never failed to make me smile, especially in the last years when she was all gray around the muzzle and eyes to see that puppy once more.

Calico's Lady Belle lived to 12 and did it until she died. Helluva good dog, BTW, a field trial reject. Had a cannon for a nose, could run all day, and over the hill honest. Belle would stand on a bird for as long as it took for me to find her and get to her.

RayG

donne

Post by donne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:18 am

Calico's Lady Belle lived to 12 and did it until she died. Helluva good dog, BTW, a field trial reject. Had a cannon for a nose, could run all day, and over the hill honest. Belle would stand on a bird for as long as it took for me to find her and get to her.

Amazing, how those "field trial reject" dogs turn out, ain't it!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:46 am

donne wrote:Calico's Lady Belle lived to 12 and did it until she died. Helluva good dog, BTW, a field trial reject. Had a cannon for a nose, could run all day, and over the hill honest. Belle would stand on a bird for as long as it took for me to find her and get to her.

Amazing, how those "field trial reject" dogs turn out, ain't it!
If you want more I'm sure I can find one or two of them for you next spring. 4-5 months old too.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 am

Ray,

I had a really nice dog that bored easily, if he was finding birds he would stay with you all day. But after 45 minutes of no game birds (i swear he had a watch) he would start mousing, but that only interested him for 10 - 15 minutes, then he was off after deer. This was before telemetry, and he would be lost for a couple days. I wore out a 1970 truck retrieving him.

I wished he would have been interested in tweety birds.

Dogs, you got to love and laugh at them, or they will drive you crazy.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:09 am

What would you do for your dog running after tweety birds when they fly? He'll point them then they fly then he's gone.... Annoying...
Is normal activity, teach whoa and then here this also keeps dog from running over a cliff, or into the path of a car. Whoa is a must IMHO

donne

Post by donne » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 am

ultracarry wrote:If you want more I'm sure I can find one or two of them for you next spring. 4-5 months old too.
Thanks, but kennel is full. Already have too many dogs / county code, and as Ray can tell you there are plenty available around here :?

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 am

How old is the dog?[/quote]
He'll be 3 in jan