Digging Brittany

jbwardfamily

Digging Brittany

Post by jbwardfamily » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:58 pm

My 3 month old Brittany pup Bella is starting to dig in the back yard. What can I do to stop the act before it becomes a habit? I always heard to put poop in the hole but that doesn't seem to be working yet.

jwnissen

Re: Digging Brittany

Post by jwnissen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:26 pm

I have a shorthair that dug a lot. I learned that when I didnt wear her out, the digging would get worse. Keep her occupied with toys or a ball or something. I also put poop in the hole, makes disposal easier :D Its probabally a phase you just have to get through. One thing I heard a lot is a tired dog is a happy dog!! Although its hard to make an active dog that old tired :roll:
John

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:04 am

I am surprised the poop in the holes trick has not worked. Has always worked for my Vizslas. I put as much as I have in the holes and cover with as much dirt as I can scrape back over the hole. They never did in the same spot again. Back when I had hounds and graveled kennels, that did not work. I kept a couple bags of concrete handy. Every time they dug a crater, I filled the hole most of the way with concrete and covered the rest of the way with the gravel. Eventually they would give up.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Punishment is not really the answer for digging. The bottom line is the pup needs more mental and physical exercise. Working on obedience and exercise keeping age in mind before you leave the dog alone in the yard may help a lot. I would leave stuffed KONG toys for her to work on that will help too. Confinement in a kennel run on a cement pad is the next way to solve the digging issue.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:35 pm

I have 7 Brittanys. If memory serves, all dug as pups.

The boys all outgrew it. 2 of the 4 girls still dig, but with purpose, so there aren't holes all over the yard. Moo digs to escape under the fence, Tessa will try to dig a "den" when she's getting ready to whelp her fake puppies, and only when the weather is nice (gotta LOVE false pregnancies).

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:02 pm

I relinquished my backyard long ago. :)

cjj

Post by cjj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:52 pm

I have 2 young Brittany's 9 months and 11 months , and I also gave up on my yard , Get you self a wheelbarrow and lots of dirt . I just filled in around a dozen holes myself and put a pile of poop on top, then the don,t dig the fresh dirt out . the poop does work , but they just dig another one. Gotta love those brittanys