Good DOGS with GREAT TIMES

S&J gsp

Good DOGS with GREAT TIMES

Post by S&J gsp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Well I'll start this off talking to someone yesterday on the phone I realized I may never own a great dog but I will own good dogs with great times. Like my wife's first double on a covey raise, my son's first chucker at 35 steps my 5 year old daughter asking if she can work dogs my oldest daughter making a nice double on a covey raise. That person made me realise that I've had great dogs and didn't know it. Because with out the dogs I had I wouldn't have any of those memories.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Good DOGS with GREAT TIMES

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:14 pm

S&J gsp wrote:Well I'll start this off talking to someone yesterday on the phone I realized I may never own a great dog but I will own good dogs with great times. Like my wife's first double on a covey raise, my son's first chucker at 35 steps my 5 year old daughter asking if she can work dogs my oldest daughter making a nice double on a covey raise. That person made me realise that I've had great dogs and didn't know it. Because with out the dogs I had I wouldn't have any of those memories.
I sure hope everyone reads this and stops to think about it. I realize I am older than most of you and I also know that what is really important changes as you get older but this hits the nail right on the head. As my signature says it is not how many breathes you have taken but how many time something took it away. Oh the memories we all have that will live there forever that our dogs have produced. Great dogs, everyone!

Ezzy

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Ezzy
It took talking to someone to make he think about it. I've spent the last 2 years chasing ribbons in place of enjoying all the dog work and memories. I would not trade anything I have for any amount of ribbons. Not saying I won't trial anymore just enjoy it a lot more

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:45 pm

S&J gsp wrote:Ezzy
It took talking to someone to make he think about it. I've spent the last 2 years chasing ribbons in place of enjoying all the dog work and memories. I would not trade anything I have for any amount of ribbons. Not saying I won't trial anymore just enjoy it a lot more
I too found that same feeling, kind of like just coming to peace with yourself.

EZZY

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm

S&J gsp wrote:Well I'll start this off talking to someone yesterday on the phone I realized I may never own a great dog but I will own good dogs with great times. Like my wife's first double on a covey raise, my son's first chucker at 35 steps my 5 year old daughter asking if she can work dogs my oldest daughter making a nice double on a covey raise. That person made me realise that I've had great dogs and didn't know it. Because with out the dogs I had I wouldn't have any of those memories.
Nice post, enjoyed reading it. Enjoy the dogs and the journey they take you on. You are blessed to have a family that enjoys the dogs and the field with you.

Mo

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:46 am

I could not agree more!!! My Britt certainly isnt going to win any contests - he creeps a bit, tends to hunt for himself on occasion, and wont back another dog for $hit! BUT, that dog loves to hunt, always finds me birds, and has given me some fantastic memories over the years. Because of that dog, my father-in-law, brother-in-law and I have an annual pheasant hunting tradition that has brought us all closer. The mother-in-law always sends a big cooler full of homemade sandwiches, brownies, etc, every time we go. Sometimes i think sitting in the truck, eating, and shooting the bull is just as fun as the hunt! and we wouldnt be able to do that if I didnt have that dog. unfortunately, he probably wont live long enough for me to have many memories like that with my kids, but hopefully there will be other dogs. sometimes i think we all have a tendency to get too worried about things being perfect, and it causes us to miss out on alot of little things in life that can bring alot of joy. Thanks for your post! i am hunting with my family tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it even more now than before!

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Great Post, As a newbie to bird dogs I have enjoyed training my GSP. We went on our first hunt and it was pure happiness. My 2 sons (9&6) are have the time of their life. All they know previously was deer hunting and that was not "fun". I will take your words to heart and enjoy all this time with my dog and my boys!

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:48 pm

I have hunted with my son and my dad at the same time. Dad being 80 is not hunting any longer. I have a grandson, and look forward to him, his Dad, and I hunting together. I love to hunt alone, but like hunting with Dad, kids, grand kids eventually even more.

It may be an age thing, but I have had several dogs, all have had their positives and negatives. Yeah, I am still looking for the perfect dog, but I love all of them.

Last week when I hunted alone I could have hunted longer and possibly limited out, but I had such a great hunt I didn't care for any more. Years ago I would have went for the limit.

Things change.

Mike

cjj

Post by cjj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:28 pm

I had a Perfect dog , He was perfect to me , He was a 6 year old boxer named Joe , We lost him and my 10 month old Brittany in a fire about a year ago , No ribbon no titles he was just Joe , A dog I will never forget, He gave use lots of memories and that is what it is all about. I now have 2 young Brittany 9 and 11 months . I already can tell you some stories about them , so it is all about memories and the good time we have with them so in joy them wile you have them because they are gone before you know it

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Memories sometimes is all we have. I have great memories hunting quail in Arizona, chukar and Huns in Washington. Pheasants in Nebraska, S. Dakota and Kansas, and Sharptail in Montana. I have hunted with great friends, the wife and my dogs. I would not trade those times for anything. I now getting ready to take my dogs out tomorrow for a day of quail and pheasant hunting in Nebraska. Life has been good and I hope it never ends.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 am

Amen, I loved the post, Thanks Jonesy

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

What a great name for a post. They could do a magazine article on that. You know, a great dog is in the eyes of the beholder. Some times a great dog is NOT an enjoyable dog to be around. It's all in what each of us enjoys.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Shady HIlls Billy - Cover dog- Forman brothers

Uplander Kennels (Ugo) and I bred my bitch to this dog and the pups turned out to be fine hunters. The runt I kept was "Walking Amateur Derby Dog of the Year " in ON. Not much to some , but as it was the first dog I trained by myself, it was very special to me.:)

http://www.shadyhillskennel.com/wins.htm

the runt:

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:18 am

What would we do if we didn't have our dogs?
Sure, I like to big game hunt and flyfish for trout, but it is the times the dogs were along that makes the memories. We and the dogs, that's when the fun kicks in.

My dogs won't win any prizes, but they hunt for me, and my sons and their kids. They are family.

The other day I missed a shot on a ruffed grouse, shortly afterward I needed to relive myself of some coffee, while at it with my back turned towards my grown son, my son says, "Johnny is peeing on the back of your pants". Johnny, my male liver and white American Brit, looked up at me like, "these birds are hard to find, try to hit it next time," then lowered his leg and walked away. I guess he had to express his disdain for me somehow, since dogs can't talk.

Be hard to forget something like that. Big game hunting and flyfishing is a lonely sport, with our dogs we are always among friends.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am

jack the dog wrote: Big game hunting and flyfishing is a lonely sport, with our dogs we are always among friends.
I like that statement!! A lot! :D