Decoys?

Double Shot Banks

Decoys?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:09 am

Looking to invest in some decoys before next hunting season. I would like some for myself and my dads are getting out dated as well. I would like full body field decoys for ducks and geese, and water decoys for both too. Im not sure exactly what brand is best, i know decoys should be bought for quality not price and id like to get nice ones. I have heard Dakota Decoys are best for field decoys for geese, is this true? Also is it worth it to get FULLY flocked decoys for water and field or just flocked heads or what?
Around here all we really shoot is teal, wood ducks and mallards. Should i invest in all species of decoys or just mallards? My dad has always just had mallards and thats what everyone seems to use the most because they attract most ducks.
Thanks a lot in advanced,
Isaac and banks

boonebrit

Re: Decoys?

Post by boonebrit » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:56 am

I would go with all three species you mentioned if you don't ponying up the money. Wood duck decoys do well on mallards... something about the black silhouette really draws them in. Mixed spreads do well around here, Im sure it would work for you. If you want to keep it simple, I would go with mallard decoys.

My favorite decoys are G&H, American made quality stuff. Get a dozen or so super Magnums, I usually fill in with cheaper models to finish out the spread. Hope this helps.
Last edited by boonebrit on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Buy you some G&H duck decoys. Best on the market hands down. All you need are mallard decoys. Everything will decoy to them. Coot decoys are great to use as well. A half dozen or dozen of those placed off to the side of your mallard decoys will work very well.

Goose decoys. If your looking to field hunt then Bigfoots are the only way to fly. They are the toughest on the market hands down. I've hunted and used almost every decoy on the marker and the G&H and Bigfoots are the best.

No need for flocked anything. Although I think the Bigfoots come with flocked heads.

Springer

Post by Springer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:36 pm

I have bought some Bigfoot B2's and those worked well this year. I also bought a dozen GHG Shells that look very good also.
Dakota Decoys are very nice also but a little more than the B2's.

I also picked up some Hidgon FB Mallards that look very nice. They were on sale for $89/6.

Some Goose dekes are all you should need in the field. Maybe a Lucky Duck or two for ducks.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Really looking into GHG decoys, going to buy a dozen mallard, 6 woodies and 6 teal. also found a deal on craigslist for a local ad, someone selling 1 dozen GHG "hot buy original mallards" given away at a DU event, for $25 its a deal. Even if they arent the best quality or paint, they will be great fillers.
Isaac and Banks

buckshot1

Post by buckshot1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I got a dozen GHG decoys three years ago that have held up great. Those would probably work out fine for you.

I usually buy cheap decoys. Growing up I shot way too many ducks over beat up styrofoam dekes with questionable paint jobs to believe that felt heads and super realistic paint make any difference. The only cheap dekes that I avoid are flambeaus. I got a dozen flambeau teal dekes a few months ago that are already losing their paint. Also, I would not recommend drake mallard or drake pintail dekes. Maybe its superstition, but I've always thought that other ducks avoid drakes of those two species. A spread of a dozen hen mallards, half a dozen teal, half a dozen woodies, and maybe a hen mojo duck would probably be perfect for you. I know nothing about geese decoys, so can't help you there.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:44 pm

When hunting wood ducks I use 4-6 dekes, anything over that is overkill in my opinion. When duck hunting in heavily pressured public water, I use floating goose decoys, seems to have better results than duck decoys.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 pm

I buy all my decoys off craigslist and then paint them black with spray paint. Cheap and easy, and works better then most other decoys. Go thirty yards away from any ducks sitting on the water and tell me they don't look black, then think who has better eyes, us or ducks. Black also sticks out better, so you will get more ducks swinging by your decoys. Only time this doesn't work is when you are hunting blue bird days out in the open, then just throw a few on the outside edge of your spread that are not painted.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:00 pm

Planning on buying GHG decoys when i get the money.
Just found a deal on craigslist, one dozen new in box GHG "Hot buy original mallards" someone won at a DU event and doesn't hunt like i said above, bought them and they look great. Might not even buy the more expensive ones, just add some species.
Thanks for the tips
Isaac and Banks

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Issac:
Just to add a little to the hunt: Carve up some of your own. They are not as easy to use or carry around but it is neat to see the ducks come into them.

My woodduck set is all hand carved and painted.

But There are many great market decoys.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Issac:
Just to add a little to the hunt: Carve up some of your own. They are not as easy to use or carry around but it is neat to see the ducks come into them.

My woodduck set is all hand carved and painted.

But There are many great market decoys.
I have heard people doing that, I heard since they look different the ducks draw to them. Either way it would be cool to use some carved decoys. I'll look into it for sure.
Isaac and Banks

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:19 am

Issac: You should check out the Pattern books by Tom Matus, Shroud, Grayson etc. Many times in used book stores you can find the pattern books. They are fairly cheap, good reference and of course you have dead ducks to look at as well.
I use pine, for bodies. Used to use cedar but the dust is killer and irritating. Even with the mask, always wear a dust mask.

Also check out the history of duck hunting and decoys. Ward Museum, Harve de Grace. etc.
Back in the day, on the east coast from Maine to North Carolina there were shops with men carving for the market hunter, sporting clubs and them selves. They carved by hand, and then there were kind of factories, that used replicators lathes, but he heads mostly were done by hand.

Enjoy, your hunts and enjoy the history of it all.
Rick

chevyrulz

Post by chevyrulz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:30 am

i would take your mallard decoys & paint them. roll them with a dark grayish greenish black matte paint on the body & a lighter color on the head. you'll be surprised at how eager ducks will be to come investigate your spread.

andrew

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:21 am

To be honest you're better just buying a good decoy, you can get most duck models cheap enough even if you're on a tight budget!