First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

Del Lolo

First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm

These just came out of the smoker -- then stacked on edge to dry to perfection .

nitrex

Re: First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

Post by nitrex » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Looks great! Do you need me to PM you my address? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nitrex

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:06 am

What a mean thing to do to the member's on the forum. :mrgreen:
Looks good, you should share! :)

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:30 am

Very nice, grinder with spices then using the caulking gun looking shooter? What's the secret to not making it taste like duck?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:47 am

gotpointers wrote:Very nice, grinder with spices then using the caulking gun looking shooter? What's the secret to not making it taste like duck?
Start with some commercial mix of your favorite flavor.
Throw away the "cure" (nasty chemicals and instead use celery ) Celery contains significant amounts of non-harmful, nitrates/nitrites. For 10 lbs of meat (we grind ours) use 12 - 15 stalks of celery. Put them in the food processor and let it run and run and run, until the celery is kinda like pea soup. Blend that in to your ground meat.
Celery is what is used in 'store bought' uncured bacon and ham.
We use a little sesame oil (hides the duck flavor -- nobody will guess what kind of meat it is). Add in some garlic, soy sauce, a little raw sugar, parseley and whatever else you like.
No particular recipe -- just whatever

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 am

Del Lolo wrote:
gotpointers wrote:Very nice, grinder with spices then using the caulking gun looking shooter? What's the secret to not making it taste like duck?
Start with some commercial mix of your favorite flavor.
Throw away the "cure" (nasty chemicals and instead use celery ) Celery contains significant amounts of non-harmful, nitrates/nitrites. For 10 lbs of meat (we grind ours) use 12 - 15 stalks of celery. Put them in the food processor and let it run and run and run, until the celery is kinda like pea soup. Blend that in to your ground meat.
Celery is what is used in 'store bought' uncured bacon and ham.
We use a little sesame oil (hides the duck flavor -- nobody will guess what kind of meat it is). Add in some garlic, soy sauce, a little raw sugar, parseley and whatever else you like.
No particular recipe -- just whatever
Thank you tor the Duck jerky idea's. Also the celery cure sounds interesting for the Bacon. I've made it before with the store bought bacon kit. A healthier than nitrate alternative would be great.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Looks GREAT! I'm buying my hubby a dehydrator for Christmas for jerky making. Saw what looks like a great green chile (for Mark above) jerky. It looked easy and I'm sure it's good. Just blend roasted chiles with warm water and a little salt (peel them first) then soak for 8 hours. Then put in the dehydrator (or smoker).

Del - how long do you smoke the strips?

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:16 pm

RoostersMom wrote: Del - how long do you smoke the strips?
In the smoker 1 hour at 200* F....... Length of actual smoking is up to your taste.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 pm

TY

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:27 am

RoostersMom wrote:Looks GREAT! I'm buying my hubby a dehydrator for Christmas for jerky making. Saw what looks like a great green chile (for Mark above) jerky. It looked easy and I'm sure it's good. Just blend roasted chiles with warm water and a little salt (peel them first) then soak for 8 hours. Then put in the dehydrator (or smoker).

Del - how long do you smoke the strips?
Thank you Elsa! I'm going to have to try that. Are you headed to NM for Christmas? I've got another dog in Missouri with double shipping pay ready to come.

This is a picture from my 14 year olds hunt this past weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.