What funny little hunting quirks do your dogs have?

41magsnub

What funny little hunting quirks do your dogs have?

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:25 pm

My Maddie - when retrieving has to do 2 quick victory laps around me everytime before she will give me the bird or ball. After that, without having to say anything, she brings it right to hand.

The other thing is when she points. When she is pointing a bird her front end is kind of crouched down and tail at about a 45 degree angle - basically a fairly normal, if not stylish, point. However, if she spots something in the distance that catches her eye (a truck on the road, a cow, or whatever) she does this perfect show dog point for about 3 seconds - head held high, one front foot lifted up, and her tail straight up. Then she gets back to looking for birds. Confuses the heck out of folks new to hunting with her :P

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: What funny little hunting quirks do your dogs have?

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Hides outside the bathroom door , so that if you leave the door open she can dash in and grab the toilet paper out of your hand. Pup. ( We now shut the door.):) You didn't say what kind of hunting.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Mine has the quirk of making 500+ yard casts into deep nasty canyons and going on point near the bottom. She did it again today. :D

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Mine like to help bring in firewood. They bring it to hand every time! :D

Labs4Me

Post by Labs4Me » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Mine brings me bunnies. Damp and scared stiff, but still alive. :roll:

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Vision wrote:Mine has the quirk of making 500+ yard casts into deep nasty canyons and going on point near the bottom. She did it again today. :D
My setter will something similar except instead of 500+ yards and deep nasty canyons it's 200-300 yard cast in thickest and often wet cover in grouse woods. I've been told by judges in cover dog trials that my dog likes to bring me into the nastiest stuff.

One not so funny quirk to me though my setter seems to like tissues and napkins. If I leave any on the coffee table or end table she'll have them ripped up when I get home. Pain to clean up, but at least it's not the furniture.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Not really a hunting quirk but mine likes to lick metal jewelery (earrings, necklace, etc.) and loves to lick lotion and chap stick off. Makes for some awkward couch snuggling sometimes. :lol: She also talks (sortof a cross between a howl and a growl) and throws shoes at me when she wants to go for a run. Pest.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm

snorting on point