Hunting Vehicle

mlittle

Hunting Vehicle

Post by mlittle » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 pm

What do you drive now? What would you get if you wanted to get your ultimate rig.

The reason I ask: I am currently driving a Dodge 1500 4 wheel drive pickup with a dog box in back. I am getting ready for a new vehicle (new to me, not brand new). Thinking about a Suburban or Yukon XL and pulling a dog trailer. I am wanting something that I can travel in and be comfortable. Would you go back with a truck or a Suburban if you had the choice?

Would you think 4x4 is important in something as big and heavy as a Suburban pulling a dog trailer?

What is your thoughts of your ultimate rig? Do you have pictures of the ultimate hunting rig?

gotpointers

Re: Hunting Vehicle

Post by gotpointers » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 am

I had a ford excursion with the 7.3 powerstroke for about ten years as my hunting rig. Way too heavy and long for real off roading. Dog trailers get in the way if you get on narrow trails and need to turn around. I use an 85 4runner for my dog wagon now. Usually if its a longer trip I tow the 4runner.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:39 am

I went from a 1/2 ton Suburban to a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton truck. If I could I'd gladly go back to a Suburban if I could get a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive. We need the towing power of the bigger vehicle.

The Suburban had plenty of room for dogs and gear, and could be configured to be handy to get to my stuff. The truck is capped and it's a pain in the neck to crawl into the back to access whatever it is we need to get to, even with flip up windows in the cap. The truck also limits passengers and their comfort ( which may or may not be a bad thing, depending :mrgreen: ) where the Suburban offers more without limiting room for gear.

4 wheel drive is a gotta-have. You might not use it very often, but when you need it you're very glad to have it. My trucks both have gotten 'stuck' and spun wheels on wet lawn, let alone a little ice/snow. The Suburban wasn't quite as light in the rear but there were times the 4wheel got me going and I was happy to have it.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:04 am

Right now I'm driving an f250 crew cab. It does alright, but there is no cap, and it's tough to cram everything in teh back seat and the dog and other people. It's also my work truck so I am constantly switching things in and out of it to go hunting.

My plan is to pick up a mid 90's full sized bronco. Do a complete overhaul on teh truck, lift it a little, nice paint job. Integrate a couple dog boxes in the back. Also have lockable drawers for guns and clothing, and other stuff as well. I'd be able to take a couple dogs and friends to the woods comfortably and safely. Capable 4wd in a package that would look and sound good to.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 am

I guess I have never really considered buying a vehical based on its hunting atributes. I currently drive a F250 ex cab longbed 4x4, I own it more for the farm, and it gets used for everything my Jetta doesnt. I also have a 79 powerwagon that is my go to beater for hauling wood and such. I do have a couple different camper tops for it, and for a short weekend trial where I can haul the bumper hitch and just need a place to sleep the toppers are nice. But, for everyday hunting and use it is a PIA.

I hunted for a couple years out of an 89dodge ramcharger (dodges version of a bronco or blazer) and it was great for getting places, it was fine for the dogs with a barrier keeping them in the back, but it sucked if one of them got in a gut pile, or a skunk, or cow crap, or whatever stinky stuff dogs find appealing.

For a hunting rig I will always have a pick up with a dog box. A truck is just more useful for my personal situation. As far as dog trailers, Im not exactly sold on the idea, short wheel based trailers can be a bigger PIA than they are handy, in a tight spot.

If I were looking to buy an SUV I would look very hard at Toyota 4Runners, my wife drives an 07 and it is a pretty sweet little rig.

JIm

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:46 am

We use a suburban, They're nice because the dog stays warm in the back, and you can stack the back high with decoys.
Isaac and Banks

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am

1/2 ton Extended cab 4wd Chevy. Put a box in the back for pointing dogs, guns and clothing go in the extra cab part. To me an extended cab pickup (4wd) is the perfect hunting rig. For waterfowling I take the box out and replace it with all my decoys etc and the lab goes in the back seat.

In the summer I tow my 19ft Basscat and anything that doesn't go in the boat goes in the back seat.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:02 am

Right now I am a 1 dog upland game hunter mostly. I bought a 2013 Subaru Outback and put in the dog barrier behind the back seat. Works great. I put about 500 miles a weekend on the rig so the gas mileage is important.

If I need off road ability or have to haul more stuff, I'll take my 94 Land Cruiser instead, at 1/3 the mileage and much less replaceable if something happens. I try to save that for wheeling trips in the summer.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am

I currently drive a Honda Element. For the most part I love it. Rubber floors throughout and the upholstery seems to pretty much stain resistant. Make’s for easy clean up. It’s AWD and decent on gas. It’s easy to navigate in tight situations. Only has four seats and most of the time only has three seats in at a time. Works well for (2) dogs and (3) hunters. Eventually I’d like a two or four hole dog trailer so I could haul (4) people inside and the dogs in the trailer. Would also like to add a roof rack one day.

Our dog has been skunked three times, a trailer or pickup would have been nice in those instances otherwise its nice having the dogs inside with us.

Going from not having AWD or 4WD to now having it, I don’t think I’d want to go without it.

Next vehicle will probably be a Toyota Tacoma, with 4 doors and a topper. I also like Subies.

Don’t have a ton of photos of my vehicle, here’s one with my father. I don’t think that my vehicle is the ultimate machine but it gets the job done. I’d eventually like to add some storage space for guns, supplies, etc..right now it just kind of goes wherever.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:58 am

We have a 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4 x4 with a topper. 3 crates in back sitting on a platform with storage underneath. When we need more room for dogs we also pull a 4 hole trailer. This truck gets great gas milage , lots of power and easy to manuver in the woods.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 pm

I like the dogs (especially after a skunk encounter) to be in dog box in the bed. IMO I would go with a 4 door 4x4 pickup. Trailers are a hassle sometimes on narrow back roads or muddy farm lanes. The 4 door option gives you room for gun, shells, clothing and everything else, yet is really nice the rest of the year for passengers!

Nitrex

BirdCrazy

Post by BirdCrazy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I have an F150 4x4 with a cap. I built a drawer system and absolutely love it. The platform above the drawers also slides out so I don't have to climb under the cap, and also gives me easy access behind the crates.
Back.JPG
Drawers.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:19 pm

05 duramax crew cab shortbox. Just got done driving a cummins to south Dakota and back, and I will never be driving it again. 4 wheel drive is a must have for me, some hunting spots can get a little dicey to get too. My old man just had a 2013 Tahoe flex fuel while his truck was in the shop, and it seemed pretty comfortable to drive around in.

Angus

Post by Angus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:32 pm

BirdCrazy wrote:I have an F150 4x4 with a cap. I built a drawer system and absolutely love it. The platform above the drawers also slides out so I don't have to climb under the cap, and also gives me easy access behind the crates.
Back.JPG
Drawers.JPG

That's fantastic and very similar to what I'd like to do, though SUV vs Pick up.

The removable crates are a great idea. I was going to build mine out of wood and make them a part of the back, but with a setup like yours I can remove the crates when needed in case I need to use the vehicle for another purpose. Like fishing. :P

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 pm

If I'm staying someplace where I can sleep inside I like my Subaru forester. I can put two medium crates in the back. There's lots of room for gear and there's a nice rubber mat to go under the crate. If we are going on a hunting camp we take the Toyota Tundra crew cab. The dogs sleep in a crate in the back seat and we sleep under the topper. I also have a tent that attaches to the back of the truck. The Subaru has AWD and the PU 4WD. The Subaru gets 30+ MPG so that's my preference if possible.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Hey Mark, I've had them all and I think the Yukon class vehicle with a trailer would be the way I'd go if I didn't need the pick-up. I would look real hard at the Jeep Grand Cherokee with a diesel engine. 4X4 is a must for any but I like the shorter turning radius of the Yukon class over the Suburban. I never really wished I had the extra storage space which I gave up when I sold the Suburban. A diesel Yukon would be the ultimate for me. The small V8 gasser just doesn't pull enough load for my needs.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:18 pm

I've had pickups in the past and currently have an Expedition and a Tahoe. LOVE the Tahoe. Don't like the Expedition at all. I like having the dogs inside if we don't take the trailer. I wouldn't go back to a pickup - too cold and too difficult to access for me (I am short and I have arms like a tyrannosaurus rex).

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:32 pm

My current is a 4 door Dodge 1/2 ton 4wd with a utility cap and bed slider.

The cap has a rack on top for carrying a canoe or kayak and will also fit a bird crate or two.

Two more crates can fit in front of the dog box.
I do have a trailer as well, but try to use it as little as possible. It doesn't give the dogs the best ride and pulls in a lot of dust on country roads. It is a pain to back around when needed; often easier to unhook and rehook.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Switchgrass has one of the best set ups I've seen. I always admire it when I see him.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:27 am

Pre-season scouting trip. It's never left me stuck no matter how deep the sand is or how steep the trail is. But it's a turtle on the freeway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gspmike82

Post by gspmike82 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:13 am

My Hunting Rig

bmcox86

Hunting Vehicle

Post by bmcox86 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:04 am

91 Toyota pick up ext cab 4x4 with tool box and diamond place dog box. It's great but I'd love one if those truck vaults for it

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:44 pm

BirdCrazy wrote:I have an F150 4x4 with a cap. I built a drawer system and absolutely love it. The platform above the drawers also slides out so I don't have to climb under the cap, and also gives me easy access behind the crates.
Back.JPG
Drawers.JPG
BirdCrazy, that's an awesome set up !
I started a drawer system for my 2004 F-350 that has long drawers like yours. My question to you is where or what did you use for sliders ? I want one of my drawers to be able to hold 3 shotguns but I can't find sliders locally at least that are about 50" long
Do you have plans that you might be willing to share ?

Again, Nicely done !

Nick

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Toyota Land Cruiser

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:04 pm

I told my best hunting buddy to shoot me dead if I ever had a truck with a topper on it.

Previous truck I sold this January with 250k on it was a 91 Chevy 1/2 ton reg cab long bed 4x4

Got a heckuva deal (though I just had to spend some money on the front end) on a 2005 3/4 ton Reg Cab Long Bed Duramax. Had only 92k miles on it when I bought it last August.

Wouldnt mind picking up an older Suburban or Tahoe for an alternate bird hunting only vehicle. The truck I use for some work and deer hunting.

Pictures I had on my computer from the dealer I purchased it from. BTW, the wheels are for sale - have 5 of them and they are Hutchinson / Rockmonster Beadlocks -- 16x8" size and bolt pattern is 8 on 6.5 This was a Forest Service truck so the wheels are what youd find on some military, secret service and border patrol trucks. Someone make me an offer.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm very fortunate to be able to hunt close to home so I have a 95 bronco with the big engine and heavy duty transmission. I set it up with Detroit lockers and a winch and off road tires. This rig is for hunting only and sees very little highway use. When we go on our yearly out of state hunt to Montana, North Dakota, and Canada we take the one ton duramax.

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:19 am

We have a half-ton Chevy Silverado extended cab. We built drawers along the bottom of the bed like most folks. We also have a water tube built in along the right side. But we use a different crate set-up than most folks. We have one extra long wire crate that takes up the whole back of the pick-up bed with a door facing the back of the truck. We built this crate by buying two wire crates and cutting them and splicing them back together. This crate fits 2 DLs comfortably. And then we just have a regular wire crate in the middle of the bed with a door facing a hallway area. We have an open space near the very back of the truck. Sometimes we put a 3rd wire crate in this spot so we have the capability to put in 4 crated dogs (2 in the back, extra-large crate and 1 in each regular-sized crate). But usually, we leave this spot open to place our bird crates, cooler, or decoys, or whatever other gear we have.

This was our first attempt at building drawers...you can see that they aren't as nice. But this photo illustrates what our truck looks like with all 3 wire crates in place.

And then like most folks, we have built dividers into our drawers to keep gear organized. We have one drawers for guns, ammo, vests, and chaps. And then the other drawer is for dog training equipment.

I have been really happy with our set-up. We have a wooden dowel with the hook that we can use to reach the latches on the back crates and open them without crawling into the truck. And I really like using the wire crates. They allow lots of air circulation. They are easy to pull out if we have something else we need to haul in the back of the truck besides dogs. And when it is cold in the winter, we just pack them full of straw (and straw on top of them) and that keeps the dogs warm enough to sleep in the truck.

If I had to do over again, I'm not sure if I would change anything or not. It would be nice to have a crew-cab pick-up to have more space in the back seat for people to sit in, but I don't want to lose any of the pick-up bed space. So I guess our next truck will probably have the same set-up in a 3/4 crew-cab truck.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:57 am

GMC 2500hd with the 6.0, extended cab short bed. Have a matching cap on it and a bed slide. Next one will be a diesel with a long bed.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Some great setups! I think I am going to invest in a truck cap and build a slide out drawer system for the truck bed. Leave the kennels in the back as now Im loading and unloading them everytime I take the dogs out.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:19 pm

I just bought a 4 hole trailer, I've used it with a truck and an SUV in SD. The trailer as storage and water on top of the dog area.

With the suv it was only two guys so we had tons of space and we could have worked out of the back of the suv. The extra space was really nice. Working out of the truck with the trailer was waaaaaay better then trying to have 4 kennels in the back, we couldn't get 4 in anyway. Having the bed of the truck open we had room for coolers and randomness. We kept all the dog stuff in the trailer along with our bags.

I'm looking at getting rid of my truck, a f-250 powerstroke, to get an SUV and get better MPG.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 am

dsmtsi wrote: I'm looking at getting rid of my truck, a f-250 powerstroke, to get an SUV and get better MPG.
Have you considered a newer F150? My mileage in my 5.0 V8 2012 Super Crew has been on par with what we were getting in a Honda CRV we had. Plus tonnes more space. In 35,000km I am averaging 13.3 L/100 ( 18MPG US numbers) and this is life time. Towing travel trailer ( 5000lbs) a number of times in the summer, towing ATV on regular basis, use if 4x4 in winter and off road etc. On long highway trips without anything in tow I have seen L/100kms in the low 10's which is creeping up on 23mpg.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:10 am

The ecoboost f150 is a nice alternative too. The 7.3 powerstroke I have now I'm able to get decent mileage with an edge programmer, cold air intake and straight 4" from the turbo back.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:22 pm

crazyboy wrote:GMC 2500hd with the 6.0, extended cab short bed. Have a matching cap on it and a bed slide. Next one will be a diesel with a long bed.

I have the diesel currently and am happy with it but would have bought a 6.0 if I had found a good enough deal and it was an 08 or newer so I could get the 6 spd auto with it for better fuel mileage.

Why would you prefer the diesel over the 6.0? Do any towing, just personal preference etc?

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:25 pm

gotpointers wrote:The ecoboost f150 is a nice alternative too. The 7.3 powerstroke I have now I'm able to get decent mileage with an edge programmer, cold air intake and straight 4" from the turbo back.
The 5.0L Coyote in the new F150 returns pretty close to ecoboost numbers without some of the issues the Eco has been having. The does have a nice torque curve though.

BirdCrazy

Post by BirdCrazy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:21 am

nwnick wrote:
Back.JPG
Drawers.JPG
BirdCrazy, that's an awesome set up !
I started a drawer system for my 2004 F-350 that has long drawers like yours. My question to you is where or what did you use for sliders ? I want one of my drawers to be able to hold 3 shotguns but I can't find sliders locally at least that are about 50" long
Do you have plans that you might be willing to share ?

Again, Nicely done !

Nick
Here are some pictures. I made my own sliders with square tube and roller bearings. I cut some vinyl siding so the tube would slide easier when contacting the side. These are super heavy duty; I have had a dog ~55lbs. and 6 gallons of water cantilevered out on the platform with very little deflection.
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:44 pm

BirdCrazy, I responded to your PM before I logged into the forum
Thanks for the additional pictures, seems simple enough to me now.

Again, very nicely done, now I can complete mine !

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:07 am

Knowing we have some pretty skilled carpenters on this forum I thought you may enjoy this project to enhance your hunting truck.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/15 ... your-tools

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:32 am

Brilliant. I will make use of this. Thanks

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:16 am

NLsetter wrote:
dsmtsi wrote: I'm looking at getting rid of my truck, a f-250 powerstroke, to get an SUV and get better MPG.
Have you considered a newer F150? My mileage in my 5.0 V8 2012 Super Crew has been on par with what we were getting in a Honda CRV we had. Plus tonnes more space. In 35,000km I am averaging 13.3 L/100 ( 18MPG US numbers) and this is life time. Towing travel trailer ( 5000lbs) a number of times in the summer, towing ATV on regular basis, use if 4x4 in winter and off road etc. On long highway trips without anything in tow I have seen L/100kms in the low 10's which is creeping up on 23mpg.
I have looked at getting a half ton truck, right now I don't want to have a payment and I can't spend a ton to upgrade. The 6.0 powerstroke has such a bad rap I don't know what I would get out of my truck. I can get more SUV for the money then I can truck, the used truck market is nuts!
We have a month and a half of hunting left here and 3 weekends of that is deer so I may wait untill after winter to try and get something.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:14 am

Dsmtsi the 6.0 is not too bad from what I hear if you do the Egr delete. Also intake and exhaust upgrades along with a tuner should get you better mpg than any SUV I know of. I just picked up a 08 6.4 f450 I'm going to do the same to. The 4.88 gears are what's going to kill the mpg on mine.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 am

gotpointers wrote:Dsmtsi the 6.0 is not too bad from what I hear if you do the Egr delete. Also intake and exhaust upgrades along with a tuner should get you better mpg than any SUV I know of. I just picked up a 08 6.4 f450 I'm going to do the same to. The 4.88 gears are what's going to kill the mpg on mine.

I have done head studs and egr delete, I need to do the rest. My MT 10ply tires are not helping any with the MPG. So I may try adding the tuner/intake/exhaust and change tires. If I can get the MPG in the 18-20's I would be happy with that.

joel21

Post by joel21 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:21 am

Very nice birdcrazy, I may have to build something similar. Did you install any kind of stop on the drawer so if your parked on a bit of a hill she wont come sliding all the way out? And did you leave much of a gap between the tailgate and the bottom side of the drawer for if it sags at all when pulled out?

Thanks
Joel

joel21

Post by joel21 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:22 am

Very nice birdcrazy, I may have to build something similar. Did you install any kind of stop on the drawer so if your parked on a bit of a hill she wont come sliding all the way out? And did you leave much of a gap between the tailgate and the bottom side of the drawer for if it sags at all when pulled out?

Thanks
Joel

BirdCrazy

Post by BirdCrazy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 am

joel21 wrote:Very nice birdcrazy, I may have to build something similar. Did you install any kind of stop on the drawer so if your parked on a bit of a hill she wont come sliding all the way out? And did you leave much of a gap between the tailgate and the bottom side of the drawer for if it sags at all when pulled out?

Thanks
Joel
I have a pin in the bottom of the drawers so they will catch on the 'box frame' before they come all the way out. As far as a gap under the drawers, the 'box' that the drawers are in has 1/2" plywood on the bottom. That would be the only gap. With the square tube and bearings, there is very little deflection. The deflection is dependent on the gap between the bearings and the tube.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Current is a 3/4 F250 diesel crew cab short box.

Only thing I would change is get a long box and add a nice dog box with top storage.

I use it to pull the camper on our long hunting trips, seats 5 comfortably with guns and gear. 4x4 is a necessity, as even as well built as it is, there were spots I couldn't get to last weekend due to the snow. :cry:

SUVs are nice, until the dog gets skunked and you are a couple hours from home...

atothek

Post by atothek » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:20 pm

The AEV Brute Double Cab looks awesome.. if only I had the $....