Can puppy play go too far?

jbwardfamily

Can puppy play go too far?

Post by jbwardfamily » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 pm

I have a 7 year old Chihuahua mix (Jake) that has been great with our 3 month old Brittany puppy, Bella. However, most of the time the pup is play fighting with him. It gets to the point that as soon as the Chi hits the ground, Bella is on him to "play". Jake has learned that she will not go upstairs and will hide from her when he gets enough play. Should I separate them more often? It sometimes gets aggressive on both ends but ends with the sitting beside each other. She sleeps in a crate in the same room with Jake and cries when he is not in there with her.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Can puppy play go too far?

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 pm

I wouldn't worry about the play if they are separating themselves. I would worry about the "crying" and needing to be together. Your pup needs to bond to you first and other dogs second. I'd make sure you have plenty of puppy to person bonding time without the other dog present. Hard to do when they are both running around in the house, but just make time (I say that as I have 4 in the house and one is a 4 month old puppy). I crate the big boys and play with the pup some every night - and he travels with me a lot so we get together time.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 pm

jbwardfamily wrote:I have a 7 year old Chihuahua mix (Jake) that has been great with our 3 month old Brittany puppy, Bella. However, most of the time the pup is play fighting with him. It gets to the point that as soon as the Chi hits the ground, Bella is on him to "play". Jake has learned that she will not go upstairs and will hide from her when he gets enough play. Should I separate them more often? It sometimes gets aggressive on both ends but ends with the sitting beside each other. She sleeps in a crate in the same room with Jake and cries when he is not in there with her.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

In the same boat with a 6 month JRT pup and 2 setters - one old. Pup never gives up. Always ready to play, wrestle. I keep an eye on it., and sometimes close the door to the crate on the older dog so she can have some peace. The younger setter put pup in his place when necessary.My computer is in the basement , and the pup can't figure out how to get down , (:) no one's going to show him how),so the 2 dogs and I have that peaceful time. When I go upstairs 2 flights for a nap , the two setters come with me and we leave the pup downstairs. It's a matter of management I think. Also use a water spray bottle on the pup when I feel she is TOO MUCH - grabbing the setters' heels etc. Why did I do this to myself. ? :D

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:19 pm

LIly at about 8 months with Viking 4 years. This goes on by the hour. Note the couch is pushed half way across the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrI2Kdmhr4

And if Viking isn't available, well there's always the grandson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N96AX2694p8 As long as everyone is having fun....

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:13 am

Thanks for the advice. I think she is bonded with me pretty strong. She is also a very independent dog and does not show affection until she is tired.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 am

I think it can go too far. Different dogs have different tolerences. Especially with extreme size difference or a very young or very old dog. I let them sort it out to a degree, but I also intercede some and use the opportunity to introduce the to "calling off" so that I can better manage them as adults in case the play turns not so playful someday. I just call off or go in and bribe off and then bribe away and then seperate them and give them both good things to do like a treat dispensing toy to cool down a little. It's not a punishment just a "simmer down" sort of thing. My own children get worked up at times to the level that someone will get hurt. Same deal. I have to have them cool it for some time to get them back to a "safe" level.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:24 pm

I have never had dogs with that much size difference. I always just let them figure it out. I see separating them as taking away their ability to figure out their indifferences while they are young, and prolonging it until they are older when they can do real damage. My " pup " will wrestle with the old man, until he gives him a dirty look and that stops him dead in his tracks. He can even give him the look while the pup is coming over to play and he will stop and lay down on the floor. Even though the younger dog is much stronger than the older dog, he seems to have respect for him that I am sure he learned from getting tossed around when he was much smaller.