k9 Advantix and Leather don't mix

ben

k9 Advantix and Leather don't mix

Post by ben » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

I solved a mystery and learned an expensive lesson this morning. A few months ago, I noticed a stain on my leather sectional and had no idea how it got there. Yesterday evening, I gave my Brit, Ranger, his monthly k9 advantix treatment. He is allowed on the furniture and I thought nothing of it when he got on the couch as my wife and I were watching a movie. Come this morning, I notice the same mysterious stain on a different part of the sectional where he was laying last night. I googled this and apparently it ruins the finish and it has to be professionaly repaired.

This might not be news to everyone, but I had no idea tick medicine has this affect on leather. Hope this might help others.

MonsterDad

Re: k9 Advantix and Leather don't mix

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Yep it stains a bunch of things. One reason I went to a Seresto Collar this year, same company same ingredients pretty much.

The collar worked better than the liquid.

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Ben, It took me two applications before I figured that out last year also. Lucky my wife wants to refurnish the living room anyway (or not). I have just watched him closely for the next 2 days after application ever since. "Monster Dad"- that is interesting that you found a collar that works better with the same ingredients. Seresto Collar- I will look into getting that. Do you have to order direct on line or do they have it at local sporting stores, fleet farm, Cabella's?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:03 pm

I bought Seresto collar from Dr. Foster & Smith online and it was $39.99 after the rebate.

Looks like its $29.99 after the rebate now.

I put it on in April and took it off in early November and it was flawless. This was the first collar I ever used.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=25802

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:45 am

Sounds great! And you didn't use anything else in addition to that in the entire period? My brother uses a collar and Frontline for extra protection. I feel like Advantix does a better job but I will give the Seresto collar a try this year.(thanks for the web site) Are you in an area with a lot of dear ticks? We are loaded with them (outside- not our bodies) in Wisconsin it seems. I'm 59 and used to be a land surveyor (24-33yrs old)- I do not remember ever seeing or hearing of a deer tick and sometimes I was covered with ticks. Where did these things come from. Sorry- drifting from the subject. With the collar maybe we won't have to refurnish the house so often.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am

Yes, the northeast in the worst area in the country. I didn't find one tick of the 3 or 4 species here. No fleas and maybe one or two green head bites in the summer.

I didn't use anything else.

I was preparing myself to ask for a refund but alas this product is on my list of money well spent.