Summer/winter Camp ?

oilcan

Summer/winter Camp ?

Post by oilcan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:28 pm

I have a question i have seen people post on here there Dogs are in or are going to Summer/winter camp what exactly are they and what do they intail ?
Thanks in advance

jimbo&rooster

Re: Summer/winter Camp ?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 am

I can't say as I have ever heards of anyone sending a dog to winter camp so my assumption would be that, this might be a refrence to ssomeones hunting trip.

When someone sends a dog to summer camp, often times it is someone with a field trial prospect and essentially they are putting their dog with a pro, who will ultimately take their dog up to North Dakota or Canada and will spend several weeks/months running these FT prospects on the wide open prarie chasing wild birds where they can cover alot of miles and put your dog into alot of birds to either add polish before the upcoming FT season, or to light a fire under a young prospect.

Most wont send a dog to winter camp because most of the time winter falls smack in the middle of the southern FT season, or hunting season for most.

Jim

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:49 am

Several of the German Shorthair pros have their winter camp in Georgia. There are also several AKC trials going on in the Georgia/N. Florida area. A few have their winter camps in Texas and Arizona. The same goes for trials in Texas, Arizona,and New Mexico.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:16 am

Many of the AF Pros go to "Winter Camp" in GA, SC, FL, AL, etc to get dogs ready for the spring trials and CHs. Running in the south on the sandy soil is a lot different than trying to run them up here with a couple feet of snow on the ground! I wish I could afford to send him off for a couple months to have him back and in shape come March 1.

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the replys and yes Georgia is where I read about the winter camp. That makes sense for the FT guys I didn't know if guys where sending there primarily hunting dogs there for a " tune up " before hunting season.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:36 am

Winter camp serves the same purpose as summer camp just done in different parts of the country south verses north.Winter camp gets the dogs ready for the spring & summer camp ready for the fall.
It's not only for F Trial dogs trainers also take hunting dogs for training during summer & winter camps.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Depending on how far north you live, most upland hunting seasons end in early January, thus it makes sense for many to send their dogs south to be further trained and keep them in peak condition, rather than be laid up in the kennel with a foot of snow. It is far better to never let the dog get out of shape.

Summer camp has been fully explained.

Of the two, my dogs have benefited more from the Summer on the prairies, there is nothing better for a young dog - NOTHING.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:25 pm

Neil wrote:...my dogs have benefited more from the Summer on the prairies, there is nothing better for a young dog - NOTHING.
+ 1 x infinity ;)

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:19 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Many of the AF Pros go to "Winter Camp" in GA, SC, FL, AL, etc to get dogs ready for the spring trials and CHs. Running in the south on the sandy soil is a lot different than trying to run them up here with a couple feet of snow on the ground! I wish I could afford to send him off for a couple months to have him back and in shape come March 1.
I've said more than once during the summer that I'm going to send my dog to winter camp, but then when I look at my bank account after hunting and trialing I say next year. This isn't a cheap sport.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I will be sending my pup to summer camp this year in ND. Plus it will force me to take a vacation to check up on my dog. Money well spent.

Lemondog111

Post by Lemondog111 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:22 am

Are there any winter camps in the Southeastern US where one can take his/her dogs, stay, train, run/hunt dogs for a week or two during the winter? Kind of a winter resort for dog people?