Right time to spay my Brittany

jbwardfamily

Right time to spay my Brittany

Post by jbwardfamily » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi everyone,

My Britt is 4 months old and the vet started talking about getting her spayed at 6 months. I have read some places that say not to do it that early and others that say it is fine. I have no intentions of breeding her and want to make sure she is at the right stage in her development when I get it done. I also do not want to wait long enough for her to go through her first "cycle" either. I've never had a female dog before and need input. I got a female because a hunting buddy of mine said that my current dog (Chihuahua) would accept her more than a male and would not try to establish dominance. He's been right so far.

Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Right time to spay my Brittany

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Many folks say based on what they've read , to wait for 2 years for a male's bone structure growth to be complete. I have a new pup and my vet wants him spayed in January ; pup will be 8 months old. She's says it has nothing to do with bone growth . I have confidence in her - was Dean at the Ontario Vet College. So I don't know what to say ..........................

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 pm

The Breeder I just got my male from told me wait till 9 months old then get it done.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:57 pm

All of our dogs but the new pup are spayed or neutered. If I had it to do over again, I would reconsider neutering on the males (or do a lot more research) - but I would definitely spay any female I own. I would, however, wait until she was fully developed (18 months - 2 years).

That's just my personal opinion based on reading articles about pros and cons of spay and neuter. I've seen no adverse reactions in our spayed or neutered hunting dogs or any of the fosters I've dealt with.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:21 pm

I would wait till at least a year. Sex hormones are responsible for closing the growth plates in the bones. If the sex hormones are removed (via castration or spay), the growth plates don't close when they should and the bones keep growing for a time. Theory is the longer bones change some of the forces on the joints, and may lead to some of the orthopedic injuries, etc. we see in dogs.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:16 pm

I say not untill you've evaluated the qualities which should be close to 2 years,but then you have to be dilligent about not having an accident.I've met more than one guy who has expressed extrememe remorse from spaying a female.At a minimum I'm with the dog Dr,which equates to the 2 heat cycle rule of the olden days.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:18 pm

For the layman this is a totally muddied issue, there are so many studies, I won't call them contradictory(but darn close), though they will say "because of this it is better to wait or early is required because of this". There are upsides and down sides of both positions, so it comes down to your goals and the risks you want to take. Personally I am waiting to fix the boy until 2 years, the bone growth plate issue is well documented so I did not want to risk orthopedic issues, I want him to have the best chance at having a long and comfortable working life and retirement.

But I will fix him, and the single biggest issue is safety, The reality of where I live dictates that I spend a significant amount of time on public off leash areas, and intact male dogs get extra attention there and if we come in contact with the wrong dog there is risk of a fight.

Roostersmom - what were the issues that make you rethink neutering of the males dogs?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Aulrich - I may decide not to neuter based on reading about leg injuries mostly, but some concern about cancer as well. The orthopedic reports concern me....though from what I glean, these are all studies with relatively small sample sizes. Plus, I often wonder how you can compare the dogs who are raised in different environments with different lifestyles fairly. Having dealt recently with ACL injuries and reading that early neuter might contribute (I don't think it did in my dog since she was spayed later), I just don't want to take the chance with my boy. His bloodline on the males side is also VERY mellow and not prone to aggressive behavior with other males, so I think I'll just see how it goes. I won't raise a litter or breed him though - I figure that should be for folks that really know what they're doing.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm

jbwardfamily wrote:Hi everyone,

My Britt is 4 months old and the vet started talking about getting her spayed at 6 months. I have read some places that say not to do it that early and others that say it is fine. I have no intentions of breeding her and want to make sure she is at the right stage in her development when I get it done. I also do not want to wait long enough for her to go through her first "cycle" either. I've never had a female dog before and need input. I got a female because a hunting buddy of mine said that my current dog (Chihuahua) would accept her more than a male and would not try to establish dominance. He's been right so far.

Thanks.
My setter pup is almost 10 months now and appears to be on the tail end of her first cycle, the britt I had before went into heat at around 9 months as well. A co-worker has a springer pup that went into heat at 6 months. I guess what I'm saying is it could happen real soon for you, or be another 6 months out. I doubt I'll breed my setter but I wanted her to have time to develop before spaying. I'll likely let her go through another cycle then get fixed next summer. It's a bit of a PITA, but she wears the doggie diaper without any issues when running around the house. I take it off when she's in the kennel.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:26 pm

dog dr wrote:I would wait till at least a year. Sex hormones are responsible for closing the growth plates in the bones. If the sex hormones are removed (via castration or spay), the growth plates don't close when they should and the bones keep growing for a time. Theory is the longer bones change some of the forces on the joints, and may lead to some of the orthopedic injuries, etc. we see in dogs.
What Dog Dr says wait till at least 1 or a little older let them fully mature

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Never, never ever before 14 months.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Sharon wrote:Many folks say based on what they've read , to wait for 2 years for a male's bone structure growth to be complete. I have a new pup and my vet wants him spayed in January ; pup will be 8 months old. She's says it has nothing to do with bone growth . I have confidence in her - was Dean at the Ontario Vet College. So I don't know what to say ..........................
50% of all Vets (including Deans) graduated in the bottom half of their class.
It's obvious that your Vet does not keep up with current research information.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't do it until three and may not even do it at all and I don't let them get bred either.

There is a lot of conflicting info but the idea they don't need he hormones nature gave them is kind of hard to believe for me

zrp

Post by zrp » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I would recommend a spay (or neuter) at around 6 months - before the first heat cycle. That will eliminate the chance of pyometra, mammary cancer and other health concerns.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
Sharon wrote:Many folks say based on what they've read , to wait for 2 years for a male's bone structure growth to be complete. I have a new pup and my vet wants him spayed in January ; pup will be 8 months old. She's says it has nothing to do with bone growth . I have confidence in her - was Dean at the Ontario Vet College. So I don't know what to say ..........................
LOL I'll tell her that. :) NOT.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:04 am

Graduating in the bottom 50% is better than not having gone to school at all, as is the case with most of the experts on here.
Do whatever you and your vet feel comfortable with. Thousands of dogs( maybe millions) have been spayed at six months with no problems.
I had a male neutered at six months tear a tendon when he jumped out of a moving truck. I think it would have happened if he still had his nads...................................Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Look -

The simple answer is this:

For male dogs, there is absolutely no medical reason to neuter a healthy dog with two descended testicles. Period.

For female dogs the two significant medical reasons for spaying are pyometra and mammary cancer. Spaying essentially eliminates those conditions which typically occur later on in a dog's life.

In either case, male or female there is no medical reason, that I am aware of, to rush into the spay or neuter for an otherwise healthy dog.

Non -medical reasons for spaying an neutering abound. There is, and has been for some time, a drumbeat of political correctness being pounded at pet owner's to be "responsible" and to neuter their pets...the sooner the better, so as to eliminate unwanted pregnancies and unwanted puppies. The assumption this campaign is based on is highly offensive to me. The assumption is that I am a clueless jerk who will let my dog breed indiscriminately.

I am sorry, but I do indeed take offense to that. The fact that this pressure to spay and neuter comes from, in many cases, veterinary professionals... in no way lessens it's offensiveness to me.

Spaying or neutering your pet is a personal decision, and should be based on your needs, your family's needs and what is right for the pet. The fact that a dog is not physically, or mentally mature until at least one year old, or approximately two heat cycles, should be considered along with other factors, IMO.

RayG

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 pm

EXACTLY what Ray said.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Ray, you read my mind right to the very word. I may not take offense at what they tell us to do but it just is another example of people in our government who become automatically more intelligent than the rest of us just from getting elected to a government position. Makes me wonder why we need schooling when intelligence and learning is all controlled by being elected.

Ezzy

klewis

Post by klewis » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Ray, you read my mind right to the very word. I may not take offense at what they tell us to do but it just is another example of people in our government who become automatically more intelligent than the rest of us just from getting elected to a government position. Makes me wonder why we need schooling when intelligence and learning is all controlled by being elected.

Ezzy
these are my thoughts exactly.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:15 pm

klewis wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Ray, you read my mind right to the very word. I may not take offense at what they tell us to do but it just is another example of people in our government who become automatically more intelligent than the rest of us just from getting elected to a government position. Makes me wonder why we need schooling when intelligence and learning is all controlled by being elected.

Ezzy
I don't know what the government has to with spaying. While Ray,ezzy,Klewis and most on the forum are likely responsible owners, many are not there is a major problem with over population of dogs and cats and the more of them that are spayed the better and the sooner the better...........Cj

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:02 pm

The reason most dogs are neutered or spayed is for the convienence of the owners & only the owners sure not the dogs!! I have never in over 40 years neutered or spayed a dog & never will unless for a medical reason that leaves no other choice. As far as cats go you could shoot every one of them as far as I'm concerned.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:36 pm

I think a common frustration some members experience with their veterinarian that I see on this forum is dealing with veterinarians that don't have experience with hunting dogs or any high performance dog. That is unfortunate, but what a lot of people are forced to work with. But at the same time, most veterinarians don't see a high number of working dogs. If I think about the last 100 dogs I saw at my practice, less than 5 of those were working dogs (one police K9, a couple of hunting labs and an aglity dog). Most of the other pets are mixed breed dogs, or at minimun shouldn't be bred. I would imagine most people on here agree that people breeding dogs just because, to make a few bucks, or so their child can witness the miracle of life are not good reasons to breed pets and has helped contribute to the demise of several breeds. Couple that with vets that have likely had some exposure to shelter medicine in vet school (my shelter vet at school euthanized 1500 pets a year when she worked at a shelter before coming to teach), this creates at strong desire to see pets castrated before they are able to have offspring. Most of what we see is pets, not working dogs. I imagine this is the same for a lot of veternarians that members see.

My opnions on when to castrate follow that 6 month recomendation, but is modified on a case by case basis, depending on the pet. Although I recommend castrating at 6 months, my main reason is for owners not wanting to breed their pets. I think when it comes to castrating males, their are little "health" benifits seen from doing so. The diseases that present themselves associated with an intact male (enlarged prostate, testicular cancer) often come later in life, and if caught early, usally cause no severe issues. Prehaps there is some decreased roaming on dogs that run free, I guess if they don't roam and don't get hit by a car that is a health benefit, but that is a bit of a strech.
When it comes to castrating females, there are some health benefits, but I can argue against most of those if I need to. Spaying early can decrease mammary tumors, but only before the third heat. I think observant pet owners should be aware of a mammary mass early and early removel helps reduce the risk of spreading to other organs. A spayed female can't get a pyometra. You can't tell which ones will get it, but I can tell you the ones that do get it, the surgery isn't like a routine spay, it is dangerous, and will cost more for sure. So again these are't solid reasons to spay, but along with unwanted puppies, these diseases are reasons to consider spaying your pet. This is sort of the spill I give clients that are on the fence about castrating or don't want to spay their pet early. As far as disease associated with early castration, I think we may see some increased cases of orthopedic injuries, and I suspect increased cases of hypothyroidism. But when Mr. Smith brings in his back yard bred lab at 2 years old that has some dysplasia in the hips and is 20 lbs overweight or Mr. Jones brings in her Morki-Poo, who's patellas have never stayed in its pateller grove, I am not blaming spaying a dog too early when their cruciate tears.I think spaying after the first heat for people that have no desire to breed a hunting breed is a good time, but this is just one guys opinion.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:35 pm

cjhills wrote:
klewis wrote:

Ezzy
I don't know what the government has to with spaying. While Ray,ezzy,Klewis and most on the forum are likely responsible owners, many are not there is a major problem with over population of dogs and cats and the more of them that are spayed the better and the sooner the better...........Cj
In our county we pay 40 dollars for a years license if the dog is not neutered and only 15 if it is. That rate schedule was set by our government.

Ezzy

Petra

Post by Petra » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:53 am

When my female had her first acl tear I did my research and read an article done by a vet at the MN vet school that noticed an increase in hip displasia with the increase in early spay and neutering but found a larger increase in ACL tears due to what dog dr mentioned was the increase in the long bones growth ( Femur ) which decreases the angle in the rear legs. Also, I take my dogs to run in a large dog park that also has a large natural grass area where we have found birds my intact male (5 years old ) no fights and no signs of aggression the only dogs that we have had issues with has been a neutered male that attacked my female with no provocation. My experience has been that the aggressive dogs are mentally unstable ( for all sorts of reasons ) and has little to do with their sex organs, having said that I do understand that if a female is in heat all males in the area will have issues. I have had many vets tell me that they are changing their automatic 6 mo spaying and discussing the issues with the owners , breed, working dog , responsibility of owners , and having the owners take a responsible decision in the process instead of across the board 6 mo. of age , and no questions asked. There is a lot to be considered when making this decision.

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:07 am

Peter (and anyone else that may know). How do you go about finding a vet that is experienced in the sporting dog breeds? Do I just call each office and just ask if they have experience and how much experience they have? Fortunately I live in MI and from what I can see of a lot of people owning working dogs there should be enough in my area that I could find a decent vet.

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 am

A long read but informative....

Basis for Position on Mandatory Spay-Neuter in the Canine and Feline
The American College of Theriogenologists (ACT) is the certifying college for veterinarians board certified in
reproduction (specialists) and the Society for Theriogenology (SFT) is an organization of veterinarians with a
special interest in reproduction in veterinary medicine. The ACT and SFT believe that companion animals
not intended for breeding should be spayed or neutered; however, both organizations believe that the
decision to spay or neuter a pet must be made on a case by case basis, taking into consideration the
pet’s age, breed, sex, intended use, household environment and temperament. The use of generalized
rules concerning gonadectomy (removal of the ovaries or testes) is not in the best interest of the health
or well-being of the pets or their owners. Each of the following considerations must be assessed for each
individual animal and household.
1) Health concerns
a. Research has shown that there can be positive effects of the sex steroid hormones. The sex
steroids are hormones produced by the ovaries and testes, and are only present in intact males
and females. Gonadectomy at any age deprives the body of the positive health effects of these
hormones. Although in most cases, the benefits of spay-neuter outweigh the benefits of
exposure to the sex steroids, this is not true in all cases. Since gonadectomy prior to puberty or
sexual maturity may make the risks of some diseases higher in certain breeds or individuals, the
option to leave an animal intact must be available to the pet owner.
i. Advantages of remaining intact:
1. There is a decreased incidence of hemangiosarcoma in intact bitches and
dogs.
2. There is a decreased incidence of osteosarcoma in intact male and female
dogs.
3. There is a decreased risk of transitional cell carcinoma in intact dogs and
bitches.
4. There is a decreased risk of prostatic adenocarcinoma in intact male dogs
compared to gonadectomized male dogs.
5. There is a decreased incidence of obesity in intact male and female dogs and
cats, which may be due at least partly to increased metabolic rate.
6. There is a decreased incidence of urinary incontinence in intact bitches
(equivocal if bitches are spayed after 5 months but before their first heat).
7. There may be a reduced incidence of urinary tract infection in intact bitches.
8. There may be a reduced incidence of feline lower urinary tract disease
(FLUTD) in intact male and female cats which may be partly due to decreased
obesity in these animals.
9. There may be a reduced incidence of autoimmune thyroiditis and
hypothyroidism in intact male and female dogs.
10. There is a decreased incidence of diabetes mellitus in intact female cats and a
possibly reduced incidence in diabetes mellitus in intact male dogs.
11. There is a reduced incidence of cranial cruciate rupture in intact male and
female dogs.
12. There may be a reduced incidence of hip dysplasia in male and female dogs
that are not gonadectomized before 5 months of age.
13. There may be an increased incidence of capital physeal fractures in castrated
male cats that may be partially due to increased weight gain in gonadectomized
males.
b. Research has shown that there are a number of detrimental effects of the sex steroid
hormones. Spaying and neutering will remove these hormones and thus lower the risk of these
conditions.
i. Advantages of being spayed or castrated:
The Boards of Directors of the Society
for Theriogenology and the American
College of Theriogenologists
Montgomery, AL
1. There is an increased risk of mammary, testicular, and ovarian neoplasia in
intact male and female dogs and cats.
a. There is an increased risk of mammary cancer with each subsequent
cycle and the benefit of spaying does not disappear until the animal
reaches old age.
i. Mammary cancer is one of the most common types of
neoplasia in small animals.
1. Mammary neoplasia is malignant 60% of the time in
dogs and 90% of the time in cats.
b. The incidence and mortality risk for ovarian cancer are very low
c. The incidence for testicular cancer is more common but malignancy
and mortality are very low.
2. There is an increased risk of pyometra in both intact female dogs and cats and
this risk increases with increasing age.
3. There is an increased risk of prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia, prostatic
cysts and squamous metaplasia of the prostate in intact male dogs.
4. There is a decreased incidence of perineal and inguinal hernia and perineal
adenoma in neutered male dogs.
c. Based on the research available, it is clear there are a number of health benefits of the
sex steroid hormones and that this benefit varies with age, sex, and breed. Therefore,
although spay-neuter is the responsible choice for most pets, it is in the best interest of
each individual patient for its veterinarian to assess the risks and benefits of
gonadectomy and to advise his/her clients on what is appropriate for each individual pet
at each stage of its life.
2) Behavioral concerns
a. Research has shown that there are positive effects of the sex steroid hormones on behavior.
i. Advantages of remaining intact:
1. There is a decrease in shyness and hiding behavior in intact male and female
cats.
2. There may be less aggression towards people and animals in intact bitches.
3. There may be a decreased incidence of cognitive dysfunction in intact male and
female dogs.
b. Research has shown that there are negative effects of the sex steroid hormones on behavior.
i. Advantages of being spayed or castrated:
1. Inter-dog aggression may be due to competition for available territory or
availability of cycling animals.
2. Urine spraying and inter-animal aggression is increased in intact male cats.
3. There is a decreased risk of wandering and being hit by a car in neutered
animals.
3) Provision of quality medical care
a. It is not in the animals’ best interest to have the legislature dictate the time or need for surgical
treatment.
i. This does not allow for medical decisions based on the individual animal’s needs, its
owners’ needs or the needs of the household.
1. Animals with medical conditions that may result in complications during
anesthesia or surgery (i.e. heart murmurs, bleeding disorders).
2. Providing appropriate aftercare for surgical patients may not be feasible in
some home situations.
b. Restricting and reducing the pool of purebred animals will greatly hinder medical research of
conditions that are particular to specific breeds, slowing down advances in medical and surgical
knowledge. This may in turn impact the research available concerning health conditions
common to both animals and people.
4) Public Health concerns
a. Making spay/neuter mandatory for licensure may make the public more hesitant to seek
veterinary assistance because they are afraid of fines and legal repercussions as a result of
failing to spay or neuter their pets by the prescribed time. By avoiding veterinary care for their
pets, animals will be at increased risk of inadequate routine vaccination (including rabies) and
inadequate deworming programs which may in turn result in increased transmission of disease
to the public.
The ACT and SFT make the following recommendations to continue moving toward effective methods of
reducing the number of abandoned, unwanted and euthanized dogs and cats in the US and other countries
where similar problems exist.
a. Provide increased jurisdictional control to the AVMA Governmental Relations division, Animal
Welfare Committee, and the APHIS-Animal Care division.
b. Ensure suppliers to pet stores are providing adequate care for breeding stock and offspring.
c. Support programs to expand the public awareness of pet overpopulation, acceptable breeding
standards, and responsibilities of pet ownership. Provide the public a means to access assistance
with concerns of pet health, ownership, behavior and management issues.
d. Work with state and local rescue and humane societies to assemble accurate data on causes for
relinquishment of dogs and cats to enable these organizations, federal and local governments, and
veterinary organizations to address the fundamental causes of abandonment.
e. Provide low cost spay/neuter facilities for economically disadvantaged persons and communities.
f. Continue to work on reduction of feral cat populations.
g. Establish programs to ensure access of breeders to proper reproductive care and counseling.
h. Provide local or federal governmental assistance to registered rescue organizations to facilitate
placement of unwanted pets.
The ACT and SFT do not believe that mandatory spay/neuter programs will significantly reduce the pet
overpopulation problems, since most animals that are abandoned are relinquished because of behavior, health,
economic and life changing conditions and not due to their reproductive status. In fact, in some European Union
countries where gonadectomy is illegal unless deemed medically necessary (such as Norway) there are no
significant problems with pet overpopulation, indicating that the pet overpopulation problem that exists in the
United States is due to cultural differences on the importance of pets, the responsibility of pet owners, and the
ability of the government and national agencies to properly educate the public. Although both organizations
believe that most companion animals should be spayed or neutered, the ACT and SFT also strongly believe that
it is not in the best interest of the animals to produce legislation regarding medical treatments, Therefore, both
organizations oppose mandatory spay/neuter programs.
There are hundreds of references which provide scientific information on the effects of spay and neuter in both
dogs and cats. We chose to provide the reader with a selected list of them. This reference list was compiled by
Dr. Peggy Root-Kustritz, DACT.
References:
1) Alexander SA, Shane SM. Characteristics of animals adopted from an animal control center whose
owners complied with a spaying/neutering program. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1994;205:472-276.
2) Angioletti A, DeFrancesco I, Vergottini M, et al. Urinary incontinence after spaying in the bitch: Incidence
and oestrogen therapy. Vet Res Commun 2004;28 (Suppl 1): 153-155.
3) Arendt EA. Orthopaedic issues for active and athletic women. Clin Sports Med 1994;13:483-503.
4) Arnold S. Urinary incontinence in castrated bitches. Part I. Significance, clinical aspects and
etiopathogenesis. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 1997;139:271-276.
5) Atalan G, Holt PE, Barr FJ. Ultrasonographic assessment of bladder neck mobility in continent bitches
and bitches with urinary incontinence attributable to urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence. Amer
J Vet Res 1998;59:673-679.
6) Beijerink NJ, Buijtels JJCWM, Okkens AC, et al. Basal and GnRH-induced secretion of FSH and LH in
anestrous versus ovariectomized bitches. Theriogenology 2007;67:1039-1045.
7) Bell FW, Klausner JS, Hayden DW, et al. Clinical and pathologic features of prostatic adenocarcinoma
in sexually intact and castrated dogs: 31 cases (1970-1987). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1991;199:1623-
8) Berry SJ, Strandberg JD, Saunders WJ, Coffey DS. Development of canine benign prostatic hyperplasia
with age. Prostate 1986;9:363-373.
9) Brodey RS. Canine and feline neoplasia. Adv Vet Sci Comp Med 1970;14:309-354.
10) Brodey RS, Goldschmidt MH, Roszel JR. Canine mammary gland neoplasms. J Amer Anim Hosp Assoc
1983;19:61-90.
11) Bronson RT. Variation in age at death of dogs of different sexes and breeds. Amer J Vet Res
1982;43:2057-2059.
12) British Small Animal Veterinary Association. Sequelae of bitch sterilisation: Regional survey. Vet Rec
1975;96:371-372.
13) Bryan JN, Keeler MR, Henry CJ, et al. A population study of neutering status as a risk factor for canine
prostate cancer. Prostate 2007;67:1174-1181.
14) Burrow R, Batchelor D, Cripps P. Complications observed during and after ovariohysterectomy of 142
bitches at a veterinary teaching hospital. Vet Rec 2005;157:829-833.
15) Coffey DJ. Sexual mutilation. Vet Times, Surrey UK, December 1998.
16) Cohen D, Reif JS, Brodey RS, Keiser H. Epidemiological analysis of the most prevalent sites and types
of canine neoplasia observed in a veterinary hospital. Cancer Res 1974;34:2859-2868.
17) Cooley DM, Beranek BC, Schlittler DL, et al. Endogenous gonadal hormone exposure and bone
sarcoma risk. Canc Epidem Biomark Prev 2002;11:1434-1440.
18) Cotchin E. Neoplasia in the dog. Vet Rec 1954;66:879-888.
19) Cotchin E. Neoplasms in small animals. Vet Rec 1951;63:67-72.
20) Cowan LA, Barsanti JA, Crowell W, Brown J. Effects of castration on chronic bacterial prostatitis in
dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1991;199:346-350.
21) Crane SW. Occurrence and management of obesity in companion animals. J Sm Anim Prac
1991;32:275-282.
22) Crenshaw WE, Carter CN. Should dogs in animal shelters be neutered early? Vet Med 1995;90:756-
23) Daniels R. Personal communication, 03-20-2002.
24) DeSapio A, VanDeCoevering P, Williams JD, et al. Effects of early-age gonadectomy on a male guide
dog population. Proceedings, International Working Dog Breed Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2005.
25) Donnay I, Rauis J, Devleeshouwer N, et al. Comparison of estrogen and progesterone receptor
expression in normal and tumor mammary tissues from dogs. Amer J Vet Res 1995;56:1188-1194.
26) Dorfman M, Barsanti J. Diseases of the canine prostate gland. Comp Cont Ed 1995;17:791-810.
27) Dorn CR, Taylor DON, Schneider R, et al. Survey of animal neoplasms in Alameda and Contra Costa
counties, California. II. Cancer morbidity in dogs and cats from Alameda county. J Nat Canc Inst
1968;40:307-318.
28) Dorn CR, Taylor DON, Frye FL, Hibbard HH. Survey of animal neoplasms in Alameda and Contra Costa
counties, California. I. Methodology and description of cases. J Nat Canc Inst 1968;40:295-305.
29) Duerr FM, Duncan CG, Savicky RS, et al. Risk factors for excessive tibial plateau angle in large-breed
dogs with cranial cruciate ligament disease. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2007;231:1688-1691.
30) Durham SK, Dietze AE. Prostatic adenocarcinoma with and without metastases to bone in dogs. J Amer
Vet Med Assoc 1986;188:1432-1436.
31) Duval JM, Budsberg SC, Flo GL, Sammarco JL. Breed, sex, and body weight as risk factors for rupture
of the cranial cruciate ligament in young dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1999;215:811-814.
32) Edney ATB, Smith PM. Study of obesity in dogs visiting veterinary practices in the United Kingdom. Vet
Rec 1986;118:391-396.
33) Egenvall A, Hagman R, Bonnett BN, et al. Breed risk of pyometra in insured dogs in Sweden. J Vet
Intern Med 2001;15:530-538.
34) Ekici H, Sontas BH, Toydemir TSF, et al. The effect of prepubertal ovariohysterectomy on spine 1
mineral density and mineral content in puppies: A preliminary study. Res Vet Sci 2007;82:105-109.
35) Eno M, Fekety S. Early age spay/neuter: A growing consensus. Shelter Sense 1993;Nov:1-7.
36) Eze CA, Eze MC. Castration, other management practices and socio-economic implications for dog
keepers in Nsukka area, Enugu State, Nigeria. Prev Vet Med 2002;55:273-280.
37) Fettman MJ, Stanton CA, Banks LL, et al. Effects of neutering on body weight, metabolic rate and
glucose tolerance of domestic cats. Res Vet Sci 1997;62:131-136.
38) Fidler IJ, Brodey RS. The biological behavior of canine mammary neoplasms. J Amer Vet Med Assoc
1967;151:1311-1318.
39) Flynn MF, Hardie EM, Armstrong PJ. Effect of ovariohysterectomy on maintenance energy requirement
in cats. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1996;209:1572-1581.
40) Fukuda S. Incidence of pyometra in colony-raised Beagle dogs. Exp Anim 2001;50:325-329.
41) Greenfield CL, Johnson AL, Schaeffer DJ. Frequency of use of various procedures, skills, and areas of
knowledge among veterinarians in private small animal exclusive or predominant practice and
proficiency expected of new veterinary school graduates. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2004;224:1780-1787.
42) Greer KA, Canterberry SC, Murphy KE. Statistical analysis regarding the effects of height and weight on
life span of the domestic dog. Res Vet Sci 2007;82:208-214.
43) Gregory SP, Parkinson TJ, Holt PE. Urethral conformation and position in relation to urinary
incontinence in the bitch. Vet Rec 1992;131:167-170.
44) Gregory SP, Holt PE, Parkinson TJ, Wathes CM. Vaginal position and length in the bitch: Relationship
to spaying and urinary incontinence. J Sm Anim Prac 1999;40:180-184.
45) Gunzel-Apel AR. Early castration of dogs and cats from the point of view of animal welfare. Dtsch
Tierarztl Woch 1998;105:95-98.
46) Hahn KA, Vonderhaar MA, Teclaw RF. An epidemiological evaluation of 1202 dogs with testicular
neoplasia. J Vet Intern Med 1992;6:121 [Abstract].
47) Hamilton JM, Else RW, Forshaw P. Oestrogen receptors in canine mammary tumours. Vet Rec
1977;101:258-260.
48) Hampe JF, Misdorp W. IX. Tumours and dysplasias of the mammary gland. Bull World Hlth Org
1974;50:111-133.
49) Hart BL. Effect of gonadectomy on subsequent development of age-related cognitive impairment in
dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2001;219:51-56.
50) Hart BL, Barrett RE. Effects of castration on fighting, roaming, and urine spraying in adult male cats. J
Amer Vet Med Assoc 1973;163:290-292.
51) Hart BL, Cooper L. Factors relating to urine spraying and fighting in prepubertally gonadectomized cats.
J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1984;184:1255-1258.
52) Hart BL, Eckstein RA. The role of gonadal hormones in the occurrence of objectionable behaviours in
dogs and cats. Appl Anim Beh Sci 1997;52:331-344.
53) Hayes HM, Milne KL, Mandel CP. Epidemiological features of feline mammary carcinoma. Vet REc
1981;108:476-479.
54) Head E, Moffat K, Das P, et al. Beta-amyloid deposition and tau phosphorylation in clinically
characterized aged cats. Neurobiol Aging 2005;26:749-763.
55) Herron MA. The effect of prepubertal castration on the penile urethra of the cat. J Amer Vet Med Assoc
1972;160:208-211.
56) Herron MA. A potential consequence of prepuberal feline castration. Fel Prac 1971;1:17-19.
57) Holt PE. Urinary incontinence in the male and female dog or does sex matter? www.vin.com, 2004.
58) Holt PE, Thrusfield MV. Association in bitches between breed, size, neutering and docking, and
acquired urinary incontinence due to incompetence of the urethral sphincter mechanism. Vet Rec
1993;133:177-180.
59) Hopkins SG, Schubert TA, Hart BL. Castration of adult male dogs: Effects on roaming, aggression, urine
marking, and mounting. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1976;168:1108-1110.
60) Houlton JEF, McGlennon NJ. Castration and physeal closure in the cat. Vet Rec 1992;131:466-467.
61) Houpt KA, Coren B, Hintz HF, Hilderbrant JE. Effect of sex and reproductive status on sucrose
preference, food intake, and body weight of dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1979;174:1083-1085.
62) Howe LM. Surgical methods of contraception and sterilization. Theriogenology 2006;66:500-509.
63) Howe LM. Short-term results and complications of prepubertal gonadectomy in cats and dogs. J Amer
Vet Med Assoc 1997;211:57-62.
64) Howe LM, Slater MR, Boothe HW, et al. Long-term outcome of gonadectomy performed at an early age
or traditional age in cats. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2000;217:1661-1665.
65) Howe LM, Slater MR, Boothe HW, et al. Long-term outcome of gonadectomy performed at an early age
or traditional age in dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2001;218:217-221.
66) Howe LM. Prepubertal gonadectomy in dogs and cats – Part I. Comp Cont Ed 1999;21:103-111.
67) Howe LM. Prepubertal gonadectomy in dogs and cats – Part II. Comp Cont Ed 1999;21:197-201.
68) Janowsky JS. The role of androgens in cognition and brain aging in men. Neurosci 2006;138:1015-
69) Johnson-Delaney CA. Ferret adrenal disease: 2006 perspective. Exotic DVM 2006;8:31-34.
70) Johnston SD, Root Kustritz MV, Olson PN. Feline and canine theriogenology, WB Saunders,
Philadelphia, 2001:
71) Kaneene JB, Mostosky UV, Padgett GA. Retrospective cohort study of changes in hip joint phenotype of
dogs in the United States. 1997;211:1542-1544.
72) Kass PH, New JC, Scarlett JM, Salman MD. Understanding animal companion surplus in the United
States: Relinquishment of nonadoptables to animal shelters for euthanasia. J Appl Anim Welf Sci
2001;4:237-248.
73) Kealy RD, Olsson SE, Monti KL, et al. Effects of limited food consumption on the incidence of hip
dysplasia in growing dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1992;201:857-863.
74) Keller GG, Corley EA. Canine hip dysplasia: Investigating the sex predilection and the frequency of
unilateral CHD. Vet Med 1989;Dec: 1162-1166.
75) Kim HH, Yeon SC, Houpt KA, et al. Effects of ovariohysterectomy on reactivity in German Shepherd
dogs. Vet J 2006;172:154-159.
76) Knapp DW, Glickman NW, DeNicola DB, et al. Naturally-occurring canine transitional cell carcinoma of
the urinary bladder. Urologic Oncol 2000;5:47-59.
77) Lawler DF, Evans RH, Reimers TJ, et al. Histopathologic features, environmental factors, and serum
estrogen, progesterone, and prolactin values associated with ovarian phase and inflammatory uterine
disease in cats. Amer J Vet Res 1991;52:1747-1753.
78) LeBoeuf BJ. Copulatory and aggressive behavior in the prepuberally castrated dog. Horm Behav
1970;1:127-136.
79) Leav I, Ling GV. Adenocarcinoma of the canine prostate gland. Cancer 1968;22:1329.
80) Lekcharoensuk C, Osborne CA, Lulich JP. Epidemiologic study of risk factors for lower urinary tract
diseases in cats. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2001;218:1429-1435.
81) Lipowitz AJ, Schwartz AS, Wilson GP. Testicular neoplasms and concomitant clinical changes in the
dog. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1973;163:1364-1368.
82) Lowseth LA, Gerlach RF, Gillett NA, Muggenburg BA. Age-related changes in the prostate and testes of
the Beagle dog. Vet Pathol 1990;27:347-353.
83) Mackenzie AR, Hall T, Lo M-C, Whitmore WF. Influence of castration and sex hormones on size,
histology and zinc content of canine prostate. J Urol 1963;89:864-874.
84) Manning AM, Rowan AN. Companion animal demographics and sterilization status: Results from a
survey in four Massachusetts towns. Anthrozoos 1992;5:192-201.
85) Marmor M, Willeberg P, Glickman LT, et al. Epizootologic patterns of diabetes mellitus in dogs. Amer J
Vet Res 1982;43:465-470.
86) Martin LJM, Siliart B, Dumon HJW, Nguyen P. Spontaneous hormonal variations in male cats following
gonadectomy. J Fel Med Surg 2006;8:309-314.
87) Mason E. Obesity in pet dogs. Vet Rec 1970;86:612-616.
88) May C, Bennett D, Downham DY. Delayed physeal closure associated with castration in cats. J Sm
Anim Prac 1991;32:326-328.
89) McCarthy MM, McDonald EH, Brooks PJ, Goldman D. An anxiolytic action of oxytocin is enhanced by
estrogen in the mouse. Phys Behav 1997;60:1209-1215.
90) McNicholas WT, Wilkens BE, Blevins WE, et al. Spontaneous femoral capital physeal fractures in adult
cats: 26 cases (1996-2001). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2002;221:1731-1736.
91) Michell AR. Longevity of British breeds of dog and its relationship with sex, size, cardiovascular
variables and disease. Vet Rec 1996;145:625-629.
92) Misdorp W. Canine mammary tumours: Protective effect of late ovariectomy and stimulating effect of
progestins. Vet Quar 1988;10:26-31.
93) Misdorp W, Hart AAM. Canine mammary cancer. II. Therapy and causes of death. J Sm Anim Prac
1979;20:395-404.
94) Mondelli F, Previde EP, Verga M, et al. The bond that never developed: Adoption and relinquishment of
dogs in a rescue shelter. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2004;7:253-266.
95) Moore GE, Burkman KD, Carter MN, Peterson MR. Causes of death or reasons for euthanasia in
military working dogs: 927 cases (1993-1996). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2001;219:209-214.
96) Moulton JE, Rosenblatt LS, Goldman M. Mammary tumors in a colony of Beagle dogs. Vet Path
1986;23:741-749.
97) Moulton JE, Taylor DON, Dorn CR, Andersen AC. Canine mammary tumors. Path Vet 1970;7:289-320.
98) Nassar R, Talboy J, Moulton C. Animal shelter reporting study 1990, Englewood CO, American Humane
Assoc 1992:5.
99) National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy. National Shelter Census: 1994 Results. Fort
Collins CO, 1994:1-2.
100) National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy. Shelter statistic survey, 1994-1997.
www.petpopulation.org, 2007.
101) National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States 2006: With chartbook on trends in the
health of Americans, Hyattsville MD, 2006:176.
102) New JC, Salman MD, Scarlett JM, et al. Shelter relinquishment: Characteristics of shelter-relinquished
animals and their owners compared with animals and their owners in US pet-owning households. J Appl
Anim Welf Sci 2000;3:179-201.
103) New JC, Kelch WJ, Hutchison JM, et al. Birth and death rate estimates of cats and dogs in US
households and related factors. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2004;7:229-241.
104) Nguyen PG, et al. Effects of dietary fat and energy on body weight and composition after gonadectomy
in cats. Amer J Vet Res 2004;65:1708-1713.
105) Nielsen JC, Eckstein RA, Hart BL. Effects of castration on problem behaviors in male dogs with
reference to age and duration of behavior. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1997;211:180-182.
106) Norris AM, Laing EJ, Valli VEO, et al. Canine bladder and urethral tumors: A retrospective study of 115
cases (1980-1985). J Vet Intern Med 1992;6:145-153.
107) Obradovich J, Walshaw R, Goulland E. The influence of castration on the development of prostatic
carcinoma in the dog: 43 cases (1978-1985). J Vet Intern Med 1987;1:183-187.
108) O’Farrell V, Peachey E. Behavioural effects of ovariohysterectomy on bitches. J Sm Anim Prac
1990;31:595-598.
109) Olson PN. Early spay and neuter. Proceedings, North American Veterinary Conference, Orlando FL,
1997:25.
110) O’Shea JD. Studies on the canine prostate gland. I. Factors influencing its size and weight. J Comp
Path 1962;72:321-331.
111) Osborne CA, Low DG, Perman V, et al. Neoplasms of the canine and feline urinary bladder: Incidence,
etiologic factors, occurrence and pathologic features. Amer J Vet Res 1968;29:2041-2055.
112) Pabon JE, Li X, Lei ZM, et al. Novel presence of luteinising hormone / chorionic gonadotropin
receptors in human adrenal glands. J Clin Endocrin Metab 1996;81:2397-2400.
113) Panciera DL. Hypothyroidism in dogs: 66 cases (1987-1992). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1994;204:761-
114) Patronek GJ, Glickman LT, Beck AM, et al. Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to an animal shelter.
J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1996;209:572-581.
115) Patronek GJ, Glickman LT, Beck AM, et al. Risk factors for relinquishment of cats to an animal shelter.
J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1996;209:582-588.
116) Perez Alenza MD, Tabanera E, Pena L. Inflammatory mammary carcinoma in dogs: 33 cases (1995-
1999). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2001;219:1110-1114.
117) Pollari FL, Bonnett BW, Bamsey SC, et al. Postoperative complications of elective surgeries in dogs
and cats determined by examining electronic and paper medical records. J Amer Vet Med Assoc
1996;208:1882-1886.
118) Potter K, Hancock DH, Gallina AM. Clinical and pathologic features of endometrial hyperplasia,
pyometra, and endometritis in cats: 79 cases (1980-1985). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1991;198:1427-
119) Priester WA, McKay FW. The occurrence of tumors in domestic animals. Nat Canc Inst Monograph
1980;54:169.
120) Prymak C, McKee LJ, Goldschmidt MH, Glickman LT. Epidemiologic, clinical, pathologic, and
prognostic characteristics of splenic hemangiosarcoma and splenic hematoma in dogs: 217 cases
(1985). J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1988;193:706-712.
121) Reichler IM, Welle M, Sattler U, et al. Comparative quantitative assessment of GnRH- and LH-receptor
mRNA expression in the urinary tract of sexually intact and spayed female dogs. Theriogenology
2007;67:1134-1142.
122) Reichler IM, Pfeiffer E, Piche CA, et al. Changes in plasma gonadotropin concentrations and urethral
closure pressure in the bitch during the 12 months following ovariectomy. Theriogenology
2004;62:1391-1402.
123) Reichler IM, Hung E, Jochle W, et al. FSH and LH plasma levels in bitches with differences in risk for
urinary incontinence. Theriogenology 2005;63:2164-2180.
124) Reichler IM, Hubler M, Jochle W, et al. The effect of GnRH analogs on urinary incontinence after
ablation of the ovaries in dogs. Theriogenology 2003;60:1207-1216.
125) Reisner IR. Dominance-related aggression of English springer spaniels: A review of 53 cases. Appl
Anim Behav Sci 1993;37:83-84.
126) Robertson OH. Prolongation of the life span of Kokanee salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka kennerly) by
castration before beginning of gonad development. Proceedings, National Academies of Science USA
1961;47:609-621.
127) Root MV, Johnston SD, Olson PN. The effect of prepuberal and postpuberal gonadectomy on radial
physeal closure in male and female domestic cats. Vet Rad US 1997;38:42-47.
128) Root MV, Johnston SD, Johnston GR, Olson PN. The effect of prepuberal and postpuberal
gonadectomy on penile extrusion and urethral diameter in the domestic cat. Vet Rad US 1996;37:363-
129) Root Kustritz MV. Elective gonadectomy in the cat. Fel Prac 1996;24:36-39.
130) Root Kustritz MV, Johnston SD, Lieberman LL. Availability of training for prepuberal gonadectomy at
North American veterinary colleges. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2000;216:1566-1567.
131) Root Kustritz MV. Determining the optimal age for gonadectomy of dogs and cats. J Amer Vet Med
Assoc 2007; 231:1665 – 1675.
132) Rosenblatt JS, Aronson LR. The decline of sexual behavior in male cats after castration with special
reference to the role of prior sexual experience. Behavior 1958;12:285-338.
133) Rosenblatt JS, Aronson LR. The influence of experience on the behavioural effects of androgen in
prepuberally castrated male cats. Anim Behav 1958;6:171-182.
134) Rosenthal KL, Peterson ME, Quesenberry KE, et al. Hyperadrenocorticism associated with
adrenocortical tumor or nodular hyperplasia of the adrenal gland in ferrets: 50 cases (1987-1991). J
Amer Vet Med Assoc 1993;203:271-275.
135) Ru G, Terracini B, Glickman LT, et al. Related risk factors for canine osteosarcoma. Vet J
1998;156:31-39.
136) Sakata JT, Jupta A, Gonzalez-Lima F, Crews D. Heterosexual housing increases the retention of
courtship behavior following castration and elevates metabolic capacity in limbic brain nuclei in male
whiptail lizards, Cnemidophorus inornatus. Horm Behav 2002;42:263-273.
137) Salman MD, Hutchison J, Ruch-Gallie R, et al. Behavioral reasons for relinquishment of dogs and cats
to 12 shelters. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 2000;3:93-106.
138) Salmeri KR, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, Shille V. Gonadectomy in immature dogs: Effects on skeletal,
physical and behavioral development. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1991;198:1193-1203.
139) Salmeri KR, Olson PN, Bloomberg MS. Elective gonadectomy in dogs: A review. J Amer Vet Med
Assoc 1991;198:1183-1192.
140) Scarlett JM, Salman MD, New JC, Kass PH. The role of veterinary practitioners in reducing dog and
cat relinquishments and euthanasias. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2002;220:306-311.
141) Scarlett JM, Salman MD, New JC, Kass PH. Reasons for relinquishment of companion animals in US
animal shelters: Selected health and personal issues. J Appl Anim Welf Sci 1999;2:41-57.
142) Schneider R, Dorn CR, Taylor DON. Factors influencing canine mammary cancer development and
postsurgical survival. J Nat Canc Inst 1969;43:1249-1261.
143) Seguin MA, Vaden SL, Altier C, et al. Persistent urinary tract infections and reinfections in 100 dogs
(1989-1999). J Vet Intern Med 2003;17:622-631.
144) Shen V, Dempster DW, Birchman R, et al. Lack of changes in histomorphometric, bone mass, and
biochemical parameters in ovariohysterectomized dogs. Bone 1992;13:311-316.
145) Shoemaker NJ, Schuurmans M, Moorman H, Lumeij JT. Correlation between age at neutering and age
at onset of hyperadrenocorticism in ferrets. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 2000;216:195-197.
146) Slauterbeck JR, Pankratz K, Xu KT, et al. Canine ovariohysterectomy and orchiectomy increases the
prevalence of ACL injury. Clin Orthop 2004;429:301-305.
147) Sloth C. Practical management of obesity in dogs and cats. J Sm Anim Prac 1992;33:178-182.
148) Sorenmo KU, Goldschmidt M, Shofer F, et al. Immunohistochemical characterization of canine
prostatic carcinoma and correlation with castration status and castration time. Vet Comp Oncol
2003;1:48-56.
149) Spain CV, Scarlett JM, Houpt KA. Long-term risks and benefits of early-age gonadectomy in cats. J
Amer Vet Med Assoc 2004;224:372-379.
150) Spain CV, Scarlett JM, Houpt KA. Long-term risks and benefits of early-age gonadectomy in dogs. J
Amer Vet Med Assoc 2004;224:380-387.
151) Spain CV, Scarlett JM, Cully SM. When to neuter dogs and cats: A survey of New York state
veterinarians’ practices and beliefs. J Amer Anim Hosp Assoc 2002;38:482-488.
152) Stocklin-Gautschi NM, Hassig M, Reichler IM, et al. The relationship of urinary incontinence to early
spaying in bitches. J Rep Fert 2001;Suppl 57:233-236.
153) Stubbs WP, Bloomberg MS, Scruggs SL, et al. Effects of prepubertal gonadectomy on physical and
behavioral development in cats. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1996;209:1864-1871.
154) Tarvin G, Patnaik A, Greene R. Primary urethral tumors in dogs. J Amer Vet Med Assoc 1978;172:931-
155) Teske E, Naan EC, VanDijk EM, et al. Canine prostate carcinoma: Epidemiological evidence of an
increased risk in castrated dogs. Molec Cell Endo 2002;197:251-255.
156) Thrusfield MV, Holt PE, Muirhead RH. Acquired urinary incontinence in bitches: Its incidence and
relationship to neutering practices. J Sm Anim Prac 1998;39:559-566.
157) Verstegen J, Onclin K. Etiopathogenesis, classification and prognosis of mammary tumors in the
canine and feline species. Proceedings, Society for Theriogenology, Columbus OH, 2003:230-238.
158) Verstegen J, Onclin K. Mammary tumors in the queen. Proceedings, Society for Theriogenology,
Columbus OH, 2003:239-245.
159) Ware WA, Hopper DL. Cardiac tumors in dogs: 1982-1995. J Vet Intern Med 1999;13:95-103.
160) Waters DJ, Shen S, Glickman LT. Life expectancy, antagonistic pleiotropy, and the testis of dogs and
men. The Prostate 2000;43:272-277.
161) Weaver AD. Fifteen cases of prostatic carcinoma in the dog. Vet Rec 1981;109:71-75.
162) Whitehair JG, Vasseur PB, Willits NH. Epidemiology of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs. J
Amer Vet Med Assoc 1993;203:1016-1019.
163) Wright JC. Early-age gonadectomy and the behavior of kittens reared in a household setting.
Proceedings, Midwest Veterinary Conference, Columbus OH, 2001:89-90.
164) Zirkin BR, Strandberg JD. Quantitative changes in the morphology of the aging canine prostate. Anat
Rec 1984;208:207

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 am

After reading all this, still comes down to a personal decision.
One issue is the change in society. Most older people are familiar with animal breeding. Most people now are not and they have no idea how to deal with intact animals. The health issues on either side are largely conjecture and with the exception of Pyometra, unwanted pregnancies and a few other sex related problems nothing is for sure. In today's society most people are far better off with spayed dogs. Probably the health issues are a toss up. As with a lot of things in life, It is a matter of convenience and may not always be in the best interest of the dog, but that is the real world. The fact is the dog will have some health problem sooner or later. I generally recommend spaying to my clients. I would wait a bit longer on males now probably 18 months.
To the Op the choice is up to you and your vet. Give it your best shot and don't look back there is no right or wrong decision. Good Luck..............Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 am

As always, Mr. Gubernat hit the nail on the head. Excellent post!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Lots of interesting read here. Sometimes though it boils down to " maybe neutering will/ or won't help , but let 's try it rather than get rid of the dog." I have a 7 month old terrier , who has just reached "puberty" and is marking wherever possible. He's confined to the tiled kitchen but still................. I realize neutering may not solve the whole problem, but for me it's worth a try. I know .... it's a terrier. :)

"It wasn 't me." :oops:

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Del Lolo wrote:
That's one of the dumbest comments I have ever read. 50% of all graduates finished in the bottom half of their class. Hopefully you were being feseciuos. No one accidentally graduates from Vet school. It's easier to get through human med school.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Sharon wrote:Lots of interesting read here. Sometimes though it boils down to " maybe neutering will/ or won't help , but let 's try it rather than get rid of the dog." I have a 7 month old terrier , who has just reached "puberty" and is marking wherever possible. He's confined to the tiled kitchen but still................. I realize neutering may not solve the whole problem, but for me it's worth a try. I know .... it's a terrier. :)

"It wasn 't me." :oops:

Jake will be a year old in less than a month and still pees like a girl. No sign of puberty coming for him. He's my immature little airhead lol

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:44 pm

If you do not intend to let her have a heat cycle then 6 months is when you should do it. I would wait till 2 years though if it was my dog.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the constructive advice. I'll follow my vets advice.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Having a 10 year old Gordon Setter( spayed at 6 months old) with some significant orthopedic problems I would caution on a early spade. My current young male will be left intact and if I have another female at some point she will have 1-2 heat cycles before spay.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:51 pm

NLsetter wrote:Having a 10 year old Gordon Setter( spayed at 6 months old) with some significant orthopedic problems I would caution on a early spade. My current young male will be left intact and if I have another female at some point she will have 1-2 heat cycles before spay.
Sorry to hear about your setter. What would make you think that the ortho problems have anything to do with the spaying? I am not doubting it, I would just like to know.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:44 am

jbwardfamily wrote:
NLsetter wrote:Having a 10 year old Gordon Setter( spayed at 6 months old) with some significant orthopedic problems I would caution on a early spade. My current young male will be left intact and if I have another female at some point she will have 1-2 heat cycles before spay.
Sorry to hear about your setter. What would make you think that the ortho problems have anything to do with the spaying? I am not doubting it, I would just like to know.
Know of 5 litter mates, 2 males still intact no issues and 3 females, only one female wasnt spayed before heat cycle and had a couple litters and she also has no issues but mine female and the other two that were spayed before first heat have ortho issues. Not saying 100% this is the total cause but....

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:35 am

In that case it would be hard not to think that the spaying was at least a factor. Thanks for that.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:53 am

This is a 2013 study of 759 Golden Retrievers, done by UC Davis, that you might want to read also. Please note that "neuter" is a non-gender term used for both males and females. The 2nd link is the more comprehensive findings, with tables and explanations.

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_det ... o?id=10498

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0055937

BTW, I am someone that spayed a 6 month old shorthair. While I can prove no absolute connection, she had growing pains (panostitis) for months afterwards, is taller and ganglier than her littermates--even the males, and has a partial CCL/ligament tear at 6 years old. Unless you have an intact male in the house, it's fairly easy to manage a female in heat. What I wouldn't give to simply have a do-over and a chance at a different outcome...

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:25 am

I'm with you Wems. I'd LOVE a do-over with my first Brittany, who was neutered at 4 1/2 months old. I had no idea how well bred he was, and how my life would change in the couple of years from when we purchased Courage to when he was 2 yrs old. I COULD have afforded to train & field trial him by the time he was 2 yrs old, but after he was neutered, it was pretty pointless to do so. In retrospect, he had SUCH potential!

Courage passed a few weeks ago at 13 1/2 yrs old and I STILL regret neutering him when I did.