how does this whole selection system work

shocker35

how does this whole selection system work

Post by shocker35 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 am

Ok if any of you have read my previous posts, I have some random questions. This is regarding the selection process. I have tried searching but cant find anything.
My question is how does the selection process work? I have put my deposit down and as far as I know I am the only one on the list (breeder told me no one else has sent in a deposit yet). My receipt says for a female which is what I wanted. So how does the process work? Does the breeder call me when the pups are ready and schedules and appt for me to come pick? Do I go in after the pups are born and select before the pick up date? Does everyone on the female list go select and whoever is there first gets first selection? The season I ask this is because my buddy was just the last person to put a deposit down and he got first selection of the male pups of some breeder in Alabama. The reason he got first selection is because he had to pick up the dog the earliest.

ROTTnBRITT

Re: how does this whole selection system work

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 am

It depends on how the breeder does his picking order. You should contact them and ask.
Usually first deposit gets first pick. Unless they have a higher price that someone pays to get first pick.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 am

All are specific questions to ask your breeder. Some breeders actually go as far as picking puppies out for buyers, based on personality, usage, etc.

I think most deals are first deposit gets first pick, and down the line in the order of deposit. That's the way both of the pups I bought were. I was first pick on both, and if I couldn't have gotten there 1st to pick out my pup, I would have had to have chosen it from photos. That's not to say the puppy would have had to go home immediately that day, but my choice needed to be made so that I didn't stop or slow the process of other pups going home...making everyone wait on me. I'm not much on making a choice off of a photo, so I made sure I got there when requested. Depends on what the agreements were between breeder and buyers, but I wouldn't be happy if the last deposit guy ended up getting first pick based solely on his schedule.

Hopefully the breeder will send you some photos after the pups are born and during the following weeks, so you have an idea what is available. Facebook or email makes that very easy. The breeder of the local pup I purchased, even allowed me to stop by a couple different times to look at the litter.

Lots of fun ahead for you. Puppies are great!

aggiefishindr

Post by aggiefishindr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 am

I agree, it usually depends on the breeder. When I was breeding Rotties, I would determine between show quality and pet. I would usually try and place the show quality pups with the individual owners and personality. I recently purchased a DD pup last year and this breeder picked all the pups (sex of pup not included) for everyone on the list as best he could to match the owners needs and wants. I would contact the breeder and ask what they usually do so you can decided if you need to be the first one there!!!!!!!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 am

In a perfect world, first deposit gets first pick. But, it can get complicated when buyers are scattered all over. I'm quite sure I didn't get first pick from several litters I was the first depositor on. Mostly I let the breeder make the choice.
It is totally up to the breeder how this works. I still don't have a real good system. I send photos to the buyers from a distance and generally end up making the pick based on what they want. Best case would be a pick your puppy day and have everybody come on that day. Most people from a distance probably can't make it. I have people have to wait while a earlier buyer makes up his mind. Generally most people think the got the pick of the litter. If you pick by sex and color you are pretty limited in the numbers to pick from.
If it is a good litter chances are good that you will be happy with you're choice......................Cj

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm

shocker35 wrote:Ok if any of you have read my previous posts, I have some random questions. This is regarding the selection process. I have tried searching but cant find anything.
My question is how does the selection process work? I have put my deposit down and as far as I know I am the only one on the list (breeder told me no one else has sent in a deposit yet). My receipt says for a female which is what I wanted. So how does the process work? Does the breeder call me when the pups are ready and schedules and appt for me to come pick? Do I go in after the pups are born and select before the pick up date? Does everyone on the female list go select and whoever is there first gets first selection? The season I ask this is because my buddy was just the last person to put a deposit down and he got first selection of the male pups of some breeder in Alabama. The reason he got first selection is because he had to pick up the dog the earliest.
Those are all questions to ask before you send someone a deposit. I take deposits on gender only and try to match pups with buyers based on several different factors.

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I understand, this is my first dog and I am still learning and I think of things as I go. Thank you all for your help, I reached out to the breeder

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 pm

I understand, this is my first dog and I am still learning and I think of things as I go. Thank you all for your help, I reached out to the breeder
Good luck with the new pup, dont be nervous, its a puppy :) enjoy the fun

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 am

ok in case anyone was curious what the breeder told me.

"Puppy selection: I reserve the right to make the first choice of a puppy from the litter if I wish to. Then you will have the second choice. I may not desire to keep a puppy then you can choose from all of the puppies. You can come and make a select a few weeks after they are born if you wish. hope this explains the procedure."

I think thats fair enough.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:18 am

Many years ago when I was starting out, I bred a black lab female that I had. She had a big litter of 12 puppies as I remember, all of them were black. I had all of the puppies sold by the time that they were seven weeks or so old. I had told the buyers that they could pick in the order that deposits were received. I realized that I had a problem because each person wanted to pick their pup up at a different time. So, the third person in picking order might be the first to arrive to pick their pup up. I came up with an idea to solve this. I called all of the buyers and made arrangements for them to come by in order and make their pick even though the pups wouldn't be ready to go for a couple of weeks. Each buyer was going to come by on that Saturday and make their pick. As each person made their pick I put a collar on the pup, all of the collars were different colors. The buyer knew which color was theirs, and I also wrote it down. I went down to the kennel the next morning and not a single puppy was wearing a collar, they had chewed them off of each other. In a couple of weeks when the buyers started showing up to take their puppy I had it written down what collar color they were supposed to get, so right before they were to arrive I put the correct collar on the pup and handed it to them when they showed up. Each buyer got the right sex but I have no idea if they got the right puppy, in fact I'm sure they didn't. No one asked a single question or complained.

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:53 am

I am not understanding the moral (or lack thereof) to your story. I mean no offense to this but are you saying "don't worry about the selection because breeders can be dishonest"? are you saying that breeders can be unethical? not sure.

I ride my bike all over the place so I am sure while the pups are growing I am going to want to see them here and there. I will not be just randomly selecting. I want to be an informed and involved owner. It may make things irritating for the breeder but I find it as at least the breeder will know I am not just going to lock the dog up and drag it out only when I need her.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:18 am

shocker35 wrote:...are you saying "don't worry about the selection because breeders can be dishonest"? are you saying that breeders can be unethical?...
IMO...No and No.

I am taking the post as picking puppies can be a crap shoot and since all those lab pups were black...they had no clue and it all worked out - due to a TOTALLY HONEST mistake. Most other breeds this wouldnt happen because they have markings you can document.

You are an informed, educated buyer and I am sure your breeder will appreciate it.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:57 am

There is no moral. I just think it's a funny story. I can't believe that I didn't realize that those collars were going to get chewed off.

I don't have labs any more, I have English Pointers. On the rare occasion that I have a litter of pups these days I tattoo them inside their ear. So even if two were marked the same I could still tell them apart.

I also do not think there is any way to tell at 8 weeks old how a pup is going to turn out, just what sex and color it is. There is a very successful and well respected guy in the hound world name John Wick. He has written a few books and in at least one of them he talks about how he chooses puppies. When he has a litter of puppies he lets people know and advertises them. Buyers show up and make their choices and when he is down to one or two puppies left, those are the ones he keeps.