What Dog for a Guy up North

AlbertaChessie

What Dog for a Guy up North

Post by AlbertaChessie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 pm

After reading through and posting a couple of other threads I thought I would look for my own advice as well.

Currently in the market for my second dog. Our group of guys hunt over 2 Chesapeakes for Waterfowl with the odd tag alongs that have had a Lab and a GSP. The Chesapeakes have been more than what we could of hoped for in dogs that are to work up North. They handle the frozen waters and frozen fields great. Seems when we are ready to call it a day from freezing to the bone, they are just getting fired up. My next dog im looking to make more of an all around dog though. We do pursue sharptails and ruffed grouse so this would be the dogs main focus, with the odd day in the waterfowl blind as supporting cast. I have pretty much eliminated Vizlas and GSP's as Ive personally watched a few GSP's just shut it down due to the cold and Im assuming V's would do the same.

Any thoughts on how a Brittany or a Setter would perform up here?

Gordon Guy

Re: What Dog for a Guy up North

Post by Gordon Guy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Gordon Setters are very popular in the northern grouse woods for a reason. The black and tan coats soak up the sun and do well when it's cold. My dogs have done well when conditions stop other dogs. However, I would draw the line at asking them to break ice to fetch a duck.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:45 pm

i had a male chessie and i do not think you will find a dog that can handle the extreme elements as well as that breed, a britt or setter would do great except for the icy water,have you thought about a wire haired dog?

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 pm

I would suggest a DD

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:17 pm

PP, GWP, DD or Munster?

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:Gordon Setters are very popular in the northern grouse woods for a reason. The black and tan coats soak up the sun and do well when it's cold. My dogs have done well when conditions stop other dogs. However, I would draw the line at asking them to break ice to fetch a duck.
My gordon has been know to break ice to lay in a pool of water to cool off in the winter...... LOL.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:22 pm

I think you need to consider the game you want them for. All you've mention that I saw was waterfowl. Comes to harsh weather, even a lad can't stay with a Chesapeake.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:27 pm

Gotta throw the pointin lab into the mix of possibilities. While there are freak dogs of every breed that seem to do well in the cold, you have to look at the broad picture. I have heard stories and read them on here about shorthairs breaking ice to get a retrieve, and I personally own a lab that would not jump into water that is under fifty degrees. Pp or a dd might fit what u are looking for but I have not been around enough of them to have my vote swayed either way.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:00 am

The hard part about posting in this is that each dog is different with the exception of the waterfowl I've got english setters and I've taken them from Washington to Montana and the Dakotas.I had a 10 year old eat up all South Dakota had to offer in a deep freeze,we hunted that old dog every day in a county that is not well known for it's bird population,fact is it was similar to eastern washingtons private land bird numbers. 9 degrees with a 30 MPH wind and she hunted her butt off in cattails and an open creek she crossed multiple times.I've owned multiple dogs bred closely to the same ancestor and they have all had cast iron nuts and ZERO quit.That ancestor was actually a southern dog named Tomoka.I've got a son of Tomoka right now from frozen semen breeding and he is right up there with the most worthless functional birddog I have ever owned.I blame the Dams side of it,as he is the replacement for the worst dog I've ever owned(inherited genetic flaws).I'd say if 10% of your birds are waterfowl and 90% are upland(sharpies,pheasants,huns) try a setter.Any thing differnt than that stick to what works which would be the chessies.I had one tomoka grandson get loose from an airline crate,and out of the truck canopy to find us on the hill,Jab a stick into him(chest) that required a vet visit and keep right on a hunting
But to be quite honest you might look into a pudelpointer, cedarwooods would be the place to investigate from the reviews and pictures Ive seen. http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/gallery.asp

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:42 pm

There's a guy trying to re home a large muenster lander with a bunch of training on upland journal right now

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm

As mentioned previously, if you are just going to be doing cold-water duck hunting all day, nothing beats a Chessie. But if you are looking for a breed that consistently excels in the water and the uplands, you would probably be best served with a German-bred versatile such as a Deutsch Drahthaar (http://www.vdd-gna.org) or a Deutsch Langhaar (http://www.dl-gna.org). Pudelpointers could also be a good choice but the coats are inconsistent (some are much better suited to warmer climates) so you would have to be more selective about the breeder/litter.

I've judged some DDs that I would be proud to own, but at the end of the day, I went with Deutsch Langhaars. I love the versatility, temperament, and the appearance.

Breaking ice to retrieve a pheasant in South Dakota.

January grouse hunt in Wisconsin.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:37 pm

Ouch! The KM didnt make the German list. :cry: There isnt one KM that you would be proud to own? HA HA HA

big_fish

Post by big_fish » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:01 am

what will you realistically be chasing the most. If your going to be waterfowling it sounds like you already know deep inside a chessie is the dog if your going to chase grouse and other upland it sounds like you want a pointer. I hunted everything with my choc. lab until he passed. I now have a Brittany and while I love seeing a dog on point he doesn't fare well in the icy cold water for retrieving waterfowl. To me it sounds like you should go with a versatile breed with a gwp or pp (seem to be able to take a colder dunk IMO) . Try to get out to a NAVHDA event this spring and you will most likely see a bunch of breeds that will fit you needs.

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:37 am

The KM didnt make the German lis
You know, after I wrote that post, I was thinking that I should have added the following to my original post:

Or, if you are looking for a dog the size of a Brittany but equally capable in the land and water, a friend of mine is planning the first litter of Kleiner Munsterlanders to be whelped in North America this spring. You should check them out at http://www.huntingmunsterlanders.com/.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:44 am

I would recommend the wirehaired breeds as well. In the end body mass will dictate ability to take the cold along with coat of course but even heavily coated smaller breeds will suffer. Your Chessie can take the cold because it is probably 70 - 90lbs. That makes a huge difference.

Really depends on what temperament you are looking for as well.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:50 am

MY LM finds a new gear when it is cold out, but pretty much all the breeds mentioned should work in a cold dry environment.

Working him when it is warmer, like above 10c I need to make sure to get him cooled off.

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:34 am

MonsterDad wrote:I would recommend the wirehaired breeds as well. In the end body mass will dictate ability to take the cold along with coat of course but even heavily coated smaller breeds will suffer. Your Chessie can take the cold because it is probably 70 - 90lbs. That makes a huge difference.

Really depends on what temperament you are looking for as well.
Yes. Gunner just turned a year old in November and he's currently at 92 lbs. Never had a Chessie prior to Gunner but Im assuming he's going to fill out a little more as his body fully matures so Im estimating his final weight to be about 105 lbs. As far as temperament goes im looking for a fairly laid back family dog. Gunner has fit exactly what I was looking for in Chessie.....wonderful loving and overly loyal dog to the point where its annoying sometimes lol. ALWAYS has to know where 'his' kids are as well as my wife. Would NEVER start a fight with another dog.....but bloody heck Ive already witnessed him finish one with a lab that was a little unruley while we were at a local ball tourney. I love a dog that exudes confidence and is much like that buddy that we all have, that if sitting in a bar enjoying a drink quietly he just looks like he can handle himself if things get nasty. I know I probably wont get that with any breed other than a chessie, but the family time is important.

Good advice so far folks. To further, and to address one other post. The main focus of my next dog will be for pursuing upland birds. Pup might get a few days in each year when we have large parties of guys out for Canada Geese. Otherwise Im planning on using him for upland only.

I like the looks of the pudelpointer for sure. I would love to find a good field bred Golden believe it or not, but up here, man are they hard to find. Seems if its not one of the big 3 (Labs, Springers and GSP) its really tough to locate a good breeder. I had to cross two provinces for my Chessie.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 am

If you are looking for a big, cold weather resistant dog that is a really good family dog, then a Spinone is one to consider.

There are two very good breeders in Idaho and Utah that breed some really talented dogs.

Yes, yes, they are slow and hairy but they are excellent all-around dogs and would be very comparable to your Chessie in bad weather. They have extremely good, quiet temperaments.

They are extremely good swimmers and rather easy to train. They have excellent noses and retriever to hand rather naturally.

Lane Phillips in Utah or Rebecca Koch in Teton, Idaho are worth talking too.

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:57 am

Cora's Shadow wrote:
The KM didnt make the German lis
You know, after I wrote that post, I was thinking that I should have added the following to my original post:

Or, if you are looking for a dog the size of a Brittany but equally capable in the land and water, a friend of mine is planning the first litter of Kleiner Munsterlanders to be whelped in North America this spring. You should check them out at http://www.huntingmunsterlanders.com/.
Ha Ha, thanks. Your a riot!

Yes, I have some little ice breakers. Have some pictures of Max with icicles dangling from his head. But, even though they do this I wouldnt keep them out all day. Just about the time the acton has stopped and I need a thermos refill, they are ready to head home too.