Dog respecting your home

jeffkrop

Dog respecting your home

Post by jeffkrop » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:46 pm

I have a 1-year-old Brittany that is still destroying my house. I leave him in a kennel crate during the day while I'm gone but I do try to keep him out the rest of the time.
I just can't get them to stop eating things, getting into the garbage and pooping on the floor in the basement. I do work long hours so he's in the kennel about 10 hours a day.
I'd love to have a dog that I can trust outside of the kennel while I'm at work. Just a nice house dog anyone have any suggestions?
I keep thinking about building a 6 x 6 kennel in the basement for him will I work and at night but that's a long time to be in their.

NLsetter

Re: Dog respecting your home

Post by NLsetter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Dogs bored out of his mind! in a crate for 10 hours a day and then by the sounds of it idle or unsupervised when not in crate. Not sure how much exercise he gets but likely needs at least a good hour off leash run and 20 minutes of obedience training in the evening..... that should make him much better around the house.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

NLsetter wrote:Dogs bored out of his mind! in a crate for 10 hours a day and then by the sounds of it idle or unsupervised when not in crate. Not sure how much exercise he gets but likely needs at least a good hour off leash run and 20 minutes of obedience training in the evening..... that should make him much better around the house.
X 10,000!!!!! A tired dog is a good dog. And tiring him out is on you. It's hard especially in the winter but you need to figure out a way.

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:37 pm

NLsetter wrote:Dogs bored out of his mind! in a crate for 10 hours a day and then by the sounds of it idle or unsupervised when not in crate. Not sure how much exercise he gets but likely needs at least a good hour off leash run and 20 minutes of obedience training in the evening..... that should make him much better around the house.
+1000

you need to build a kennel outside for the dog during the day there's no way a bird dog or any young dog should be in a crate like that, if you can't do that you should find the dog a home and wait until your situation allows you to take proper care of a pup before you get another one.

If you build an outdoor kennel I have a set of Minnesota humane society approved dog house plans I'll send you for free if you want them

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I never understood why people say you shouldnt have a dog unless you can be home every few hours to let them out. Our society is dependent on people working. You have to work to be able to afford a dog am I right? hunting dogs are not cheap. They require a lot of dough invested in them to make them work. How do you obtain this money if you are not working or if you need to be at work for prolonged periods. I dont agree with that the dog shouldnt be cooped up that long but I do agree you need to tire that dog out. Wake up 30 mins earlier and take the dog for a brisk jog/walk. I know its cold and its dark but its what needs to be done. At night run him for an hour.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:09 pm

shocker35 wrote:I never understood why people say you shouldnt have a dog unless you can be home every few hours to let them out. Our society is dependent on people working. You have to work to be able to afford a dog am I right? hunting dogs are not cheap. They require a lot of dough invested in them to make them work. How do you obtain this money if you are not working or if you need to be at work for prolonged periods. I dont agree with that the dog shouldnt be cooped up that long but I do agree you need to tire that dog out. Wake up 30 mins earlier and take the dog for a brisk jog/walk. I know its cold and its dark but its what needs to be done. At night run him for an hour.

I agree that the dog needs much more exercise! I don't agree that anyone is saying you need to be home every few hours. There is a lot of room between a few hours and 10 freakin' hours in a CRATE. Ten hours is crazy for a young dog that needs stimulation. An older dog, yep, I can see if you had to be away that long...but a youngster like that - how can you expect him to even hold his bladder for 10 hours? That's just a bit too much for my tolerance. I wouldn't have a pup if I had to do that to it on a regular basis.

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm

right I agree. I was just ranting about when my ex was trying to get a dog the rescues around here didnt want to hear anything from he because she said she cant be home every few hours even though she wanted to be get an adult dog and not a pup. They told us "well if you cant be home at least every 3 hours to let them out we cannot accept your application" I wish I was making that up. Was more of a frustrated rant than anything else. sorry to jack your thread. I hope you find a solution and are able to run your dog a little more

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:46 pm

:confused2: :confused3: :confused4: :confused5: 10 hours! you need to get some help; pay some one to let that dog out for a run midday or get a job where you can work from home that or buy a cat.

Grant

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 am

shags wrote: X 10,000!!!!! A tired dog is a good dog. And tiring him out is on you. It's hard especially in the winter but you need to figure out a way.

You could do what I do and treadmill your dog? Sounds like it is a pretty good candidate that would be a fast phaser into it too.

To do it right though you need to give the dog at least two weeks to ramp it up into a steady run. Start with walking and getting the dog used to the machine. As you get further into it keep the focus on walking but do short 20 second jogs within the session. Keep the jog rate consistent every time, I started with them at 6.5 mph. Ramp up the session duration with starting at a quarter mile for the first two days, then a half for two days, and then a mile if you are seeing established confidence. By two weeks, or sooner, the dog WANTS to get on the treadmill and is excited doing it. Now you can keep the jogging consistent at 7mph.

Always have enough space behind the treadmill, use a leash on the dog, and stay next to the dog at all times with the hand ready to shut it down if something goes wrong. Coaches never leave their athletes! :wink:

This is exactly what I did with my GSP and began the journey when she was 10 months old. She runs downstairs when she hears the word "treadmill" and now runs it at full tilt for the first mile and finishes the last two at 6-7mph.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 am

I own a 3 year old male Britt and I can tell you from experience that not only do they need plenty of exercise but they need to be around people and be part of the family. I usually only run him 2 or 3 times a week but we give him lots of attention when we are home including play time, and he doesn't destroy anything in my home and always seems happy. We rarely let him home more then 6 or 7 hours alone, and never keep him in a crate.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Bounty_Hunter wrote:I own a 3 year old male Britt and I can tell you from experience that not only do they need plenty of exercise but they need to be around people and be part of the family. I usually only run him 2 or 3 times a week but we give him lots of attention when we are home including play time, and he doesn't destroy anything in my home and always seems happy. We rarely let him home more then 6 or 7 hours alone, and never keep him in a crate.
Did you crate him when he was a pup? Mine is out side running around the yard most likely messing with the pigeons. I hopping to get him on a walk but I have a final paper I need to write so maybe someday I can work from home.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:41 pm

bobman wrote:
+1000

you need to build a kennel outside for the dog during the day there's no way a bird dog or any young dog should be in a crate like that, if you can't do that you should find the dog a home and wait until your situation allows you to take proper care of a pup before you get another one.

If you build an outdoor kennel I have a set of Minnesota humane society approved dog house plans I'll send you for free if you want them
What do you think about a kennel in the basement? same as outside just wormer.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Hmmm- in the basement for 10 hours is not a good idea either. A dog is a social animal. Someone has to come in at lunch and take him for a good long walk and a good hug and a...........

I understand your position, and I know you meant well when you got the dog. My advice is to try to rehome the dog, if you can't get someone to come in. Plus a sporting breed needs a good hour run off leash every day to be able to live nicely in the house. Working that hard will be difficult for you to provide that kind of exercise.

"I'd love to have a dog that I can trust outside of the kennel while I'm at work. Just a nice house dog ." quote

Advertisements show this kind of dog, but it is not reality, normally. I still crate my 8 and 12 year old dogs when I'm out of the house , or gone to bed. Sometimes I let them hang out in the den now with the door closed on them - bigger crate.:)

Some folks take their dog to work with them in a crate. Leave them in the car,( not too hot days ), and take them for a brisk walk on their lunch break.

"I want a dog to respect my home." quote

Dogs aren't human and can't respect your home. They can honor you . They can pee outside as they see the home as their "den". A dog won't say , " I'd better not touch that garbage pail as I have a nice home here. " :wink:

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Sharon wrote:Hmmm- in the basement for 10 hours is not a good idea either. A dog is a social animal. Someone has to come in at lunch and take him for a good long walk and a good hug and a...........

I understand your position, and I know you meant well when you got the dog. My advice is to try to rehome the dog, if you can't get someone to come in. Plus a sporting breed needs a good hour run off leash every day to be able to live nicely in the house. Working that hard will be difficult for you to provide that kind of exercise.

"I'd love to have a dog that I can trust outside of the kennel while I'm at work. Just a nice house dog ." quote

Advertisements show this kind of dog, but it is not reality, normally. I still crate my 8 and 12 year old dogs when I'm out of the house , or gone to bed. Sometimes I let them hang out in the den now with the door closed on them - bigger crate.:)

Some folks take their dog to work with them in a crate. Leave them in the car,( not too hot days ), and take them for a brisk walk on their lunch break.

"I want a dog to respect my home." quote

Dogs aren't human and can't respect your home. They can honor you . They can pee outside as they see the home as their "den". A dog won't say , " I'd better not touch that garbage pail as I have a nice home here. " :wink:
So is 6-7 hours alone better? what is the cut off before I should rehome my dog? People with say 6 dogs that run them for 2 hours a day then keep them in a fenced yard or kennel is that different? So should I wait tell I retire to own a dog? Should I try and get back the deposit I just put down on a 2nd dog?
You should tell me what can a working man do? Or do I have to be a pro and make my living with dogs?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:11 pm

If you go to work from 8-12 and someone is there at lunch and someone is home by 5 -6 . no problem..imo. ....assuming the dog gets a good hard run in the evening and a walk at lunch. I worked for 45 years with that time schedule, and that worked fine for me and my dogs- 50 years of dogs. :) Not to pretend I didn't miss a run day here and there.

"People with say 6 dogs that run them for 2 hours a day then keep them in a fenced yard or kennel is that different? "

Much different as the dog is tired and glad to sleep for ..........hours. Also different as the dog has company.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:31 pm

How many dog's you seen with a watch or a clock?
Better still, How many can tell the time?

shocker35

Post by shocker35 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:13 pm

I would say don't rehome the dog. Maybe you live somewhere where you have a trusted neighbor or maybe one if your buddies wives is a housewife of gf. You get the idea. Most people here know you have to provide for the dog. When is your 2nd pup due to come home? Same breed?

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:27 pm

jeffkrop wrote:Did you crate him when he was a pup? Mine is out side running around the yard most likely messing with the pigeons. I hopping to get him on a walk but I have a final paper I need to write so maybe someday I can work from home.
We did crate him for short periods of time for about the first year, only for about two hours or so when we needed to get things done or eat dinner. I think what really helped is just letting the kids play with him in the house a lot. I moved things out of the way and had him retrieve his stuffed animals. He really likes tug a war too, and I know that goes against the rules when training bird dogs but it really didn't affect his respect for game birds when retrieving. I have learned to read my dog and I know when he really needs a good run and its usually 3 times per week so I usually take him for about 2 hours and let him burn up any pent up energy. Bad weather like pouring rain can make things tough so I adjust and maybe take him 2 days one week 3 or 4 days the next. Britts like exercise and attention especially when they are young and if given enough of both they make great pets and good hunting pals.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Jest to be clear I would never give away my family pet.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:38 pm

I agree with what everyone is saying, more exercise is key, but also I would get some good bones from the Butcher for him to chew on that might help in trying to destroy everything. Instead of telling him what he can't do, give him something that he can do. Also letting a year old pup run lose in the house while you are gone is not a good idea and very unsafe for the dog, my pointer was 4 years old when he finally got the run of the house, my setter is a year old and on occasion I will leave him out of his crate when I go to sleep. Freedom for a dog is a slow process for me, I have friends and relatives that think putting a dog in a crate is cruel, only to come home to there once beautiful coach shredded, or dog messes on the floor. I may be different then some, but when my dogs are out of there crate, they are always supervised until they earn the trust which for me has been between 3 to 4 years old.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:14 pm

NLsetter wrote:Dogs bored out of his mind!.... 20 minutes of obedience training in the evening..... that should make him much better around the house.

+1. Can't argue with the exercise, but it's worth noting that serious obedience work tires and develops the dog mentally and will make him a lot better to be around in general. Nobody likes a dog hooligan and without a "handle" of obedience, you'll be yelling at him when he is with the family. He won't get mannerly and well-educated by himself; he'll just get worse..

Work with him every day. Every day..

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:34 pm

[quote="jeffkrop"]Jest to be clear I would never give away my family pet.[/quote

Well right now you are unintentionally mistreating a dog you obviously care for sometimes giving a dog to a better place is kinder

Re Your question about the kennel in the basement
And outside kennel allows to dog to watch birds and squirrels ect and that provides a very important mental stimulation that bird dogs need. He will NOT get that in a basement.
With a well made dog house and a good kennel he will be way better off and warm in the dog house

The last thing you need right now is another dog by the way
And I am not trying to belittle you in any way sometimes a job and life in General can make something you really want to do impractical

We have all been there

Croix

Post by Croix » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:09 pm

A dog can stay cooped up 10 hours a say as long as there is time spent running him/her every other day Plenty of attention should be given to the dog on all days. Otherwise they look for attention. My dog hasn't ever chewed anything up or had an accident during the day And i work 10 hour days. Must of got lucky or good breeding.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:00 am

jeffkrop wrote:
Bounty_Hunter wrote:I own a 3 year old male Britt and I can tell you from experience that not only do they need plenty of exercise but they need to be around people and be part of the family. I usually only run him 2 or 3 times a week but we give him lots of attention when we are home including play time, and he doesn't destroy anything in my home and always seems happy. We rarely let him home more then 6 or 7 hours alone, and never keep him in a crate.
Did you crate him when he was a pup? Mine is out side running around the yard most likely messing with the pigeons. I hopping to get him on a walk but I have a final paper I need to write so maybe someday I can work from home.
I think you just answered all of your questions here... You are hoping to get him on a walk but have a final paper to write. You can't spare yourself an hour a day to let the dog exercise? Set priorities, I'm sure your final paper is taking up a lot of time but I doubt it takes up that much that the best you can do is hope to get him on a walk someday.

I will share with you what I do with my 1.5 year old male lab. I live in Eagan and work in Minnetonka so I am not able to come home during the day to let the dog out. Solution- he is an outside kennel dog, he can empty his bladder as he needs. Through general obedience and a little luck, I also have a dog that never ever ever barks, so I know that he is not disturbing neighbors when I'm gone. I work 9am-6pm 2-3 days a week and 10am-10pm 2-3 days a week. Each and every day I get up an hour earlier than I normally would and go outside to do formal training, no matter how cold it is I owe it to my dog to spend that time with him. I can't just lock him up outside and never see him, he needs my attention just as much as I need his, dogs a wonderful thing. I go to work, come home at night once it is already dark out, and I turn on the outside lights and play fetch and just play with him for an hour, let him burn energy. Does it suck getting home at 10:30pm some nights, -10 degrees outside, still need to make supper and see the wife, yes it does, but I love my dog and he deserves my attention. On a bad day I will spend 45 minutes with him, on an average day I'll spend 1.5- 2 hrs with him, on a rare great day I'll spend 3-5 hrs with him- all outside in a minnesota winter.

Moral of the story, don't hope to get your dog out on a walk someday. At the very least take him for 2 walks a day or find a place to let him run 1x a day. Your dog is like your kid that you can lock up and leave unsupervised, that said, don't abuse it. Respect him and he will respect you.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:03 am

shocker35 wrote:I would say don't rehome the dog. Maybe you live somewhere where you have a trusted neighbor or maybe one if your buddies wives is a housewife of gf. You get the idea. Most people here know you have to provide for the dog. When is your 2nd pup due to come home? Same breed?

To further with this, I work near St Louis Park and a few days a week have just over an hour to kill in the middle of the afternoon. PM me and I will be willing to help you out short term depending how far you live from my work.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:56 am

Croix wrote:A dog can stay cooped up 10 hours a say as long as there is time spent running him/her every other day Plenty of attention should be given to the dog on all days. Otherwise they look for attention. My dog hasn't ever chewed anything up or had an accident during the day And i work 10 hour days. Must of got lucky or good breeding.
So you leave your dog out of the kennel well your at work? Alone?

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:06 am

So let me be clear the dog goes into the At 6:30 AM after he and my wife get ready for work together.
I'm home at or before 3 PM where the dog is then with my family in and out of the house messing with pigeons in the backyard and having a very enjoyable life.
The dog does not sleep in the crate the dog sleeps in bed with my wife and I.
This question was about how to stop counter surfing, how to train him that some teddy bears or for the baby not for him and about place training him on a dog bed in the bedroom.

I don't know if you are all old and retired or just don't understand that in America we go to work we do the best we can and then we enjoy our lives.
My well-trained hunting dog needs a little bit of obedience training and being that this is a dog forum I would assume asking a question about this is logical.

60% of the people that have posted on this page only post about how people are doing it wrong why is that?
I can assume that you know who you are maybe your moderators on this forum or maybe your pro and you believe that you're the only ones who should have good dogs I don't get what it is. Anyway I'll keep posting looking for the help of the other 40%.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:13 am

jeffkrop wrote:Jest to be clear I would never give away my family pet.

No need to give him away, just find a way to get him a little more out time. The raw bones are a good way to keep him occupied and are good for him too, a few times per week. How about hunting buddies, as its a good trade off to take friends on some bird hunts and in return maybe they could run him for you sometimes. Most families have limited time to spend with their pets but most usually find a way to keep their dogs happy and get some exercise. Find what works for you and your dog and you will both be happy. Remember, Britts are top notch hunting dogs and in the right hands will help keep your freezer full of game birds along with the pictures and memories to last a lifetime.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:16 am

Mine spends at least 8 hours a day in the kennel, but normal days when the boys come home from school they walk him or put him on the tread then I take him out after supper, so if possible engage the wife and kids to help out.

Weekends, do your best to drain the dog on the weekends.

Training / mental stimulation goes a long way, probably further than plain running.

Between the end of bird season, being gone for deer and work lots make up the time, mine is needing a good run, so I got to go.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:23 am

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
jeffkrop wrote:Jest to be clear I would never give away my family pet.

No need to give him away, just find a way to get him a little more out time. The raw bones are a good way to keep him occupied and are good for him too, a few times per week. How about hunting buddies, as its a good trade off to take friends on some bird hunts and in return maybe they could run him for you sometimes. Most families have limited time to spend with their pets but most usually find a way to keep their dogs happy and get some exercise. Find what works for you and your dog and you will both be happy. Remember, Britts are top notch hunting dogs and in the right hands will help keep your freezer full of game birds along with the pictures and memories to last a lifetime.
the dog hunted all fall it is about over here in MN

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:20 am

You don't have to old or retired to build a decent outdoor kennel and a good dog house for your dog and no one on here was trying to give you bad advice.

10 hours a day in a crate is too long that's just a fact, its not good for the dog.

In your back yard in a good kennel with a well made dog house he would be warm and have the ability to take a leak and watch the world go by waiting for you to come home from work.

Like I said if you want the plans for a real nice Minnesota rated doghouse PM me your email address and I'll send them to you they are on jpeg files they are free and have to be attached to a email.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:38 am

He just needs more stimulation - needs to be exercised and mentally worked with each day. We have what I'll consider well-trained house dogs that hunt. I work with them every day for about an hour each (running/obedience). The only real problem child is the 2 year old GSP -she has a ton of energy - so she stays outside in the dog run (we built a 60X120 or so area for them) or in her outside kennel when I'm gone. I don't like to leave them more than 8 hours in the house, if it's going to be more than that, they go with me in the crate so I can let them out - or they stay outside in the kennel or the dog run area.

Could a neighbor or local kid come by and walk the dog for you during the day?

I'm not trying to be negative, but I will point out that if you're adding a second dog to a situation that you're already unhappy with (dog pooping in the basement, dog chewing up things, dog getting into the garbage) then nothing good will come of that. You will have two dogs that exhibit those behaviors. Adding a dog to "keep another one company" is not a good idea (and that may not be what you're thinking at all). Your dog will teach the new pup every bad habit. So, I guess I'd say "YES, try to get your deposit back on the 2nd dog." That is, if you don't intend to change what you're doing now. Our new pointer pup has learned zero good habits from our older dogs (except how to use the dog bell to ask to go outside) - he has learned ALL of the bad habits, like in one week it seems like! Sounds like you have your hands full - another dog is just asking for more trouble.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Another option for you also would be to build your 6x6 indoor kennel like you were thinking, but build it on the outside wall and install a dog door to a small outside run where he can go out and relieve himself. The dog doors are not that bad to install, but mostly your dog is still very young and will get better, my pointer when he was a puppy was a counter Hawk, I tried all sorts of tactics to keep him down. He eventually gave up as he got older, but I would still lose a stick of butter if I left it on the counter, oh how he loved his butter:)

Croix

Post by Croix » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Jeffkoop, yes croix is free in house from 6 till 4. Not a problem yet. Long as dog gets enough exercise and comes from a reputatable breeder, that breeds for good temp and socially involves pups. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're the boss!!!

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:11 am

Croix wrote:Jeffkoop, yes croix is free in house from 6 till 4. Not a problem yet. Long as dog gets enough exercise and comes from a reputatable breeder, that breeds for good temp and socially involves pups. Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you're the boss!!!

The last sentence could be the thing here. May want to try not letting the dog sleep on the bed or get up any furniture. This with some routine exercise everyday for minimum of an hour and 20 minutes of obedience training should help.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 am

BigJake wrote:I agree with what everyone is saying, more exercise is key, but also I would get some good bones from the Butcher for him to chew on that might help in trying to destroy everything. Instead of telling him what he can't do, give him something that he can do. Also letting a year old pup run lose in the house while you are gone is not a good idea and very unsafe for the dog, my pointer was 4 years old when he finally got the run of the house, my setter is a year old and on occasion I will leave him out of his crate when I go to sleep. Freedom for a dog is a slow process for me, I have friends and relatives that think putting a dog in a crate is cruel, only to come home to there once beautiful coach shredded, or dog messes on the floor. I may be different then some, but when my dogs are out of there crate, they are always supervised until they earn the trust which for me has been between 3 to 4 years old.
+1

My dogs are crated or outdoor kenneled when I'm gone, until they are older like mentioned. I have two 7 month old puppies right now. What a job that is. They love shoes, the corner of the rug, the garbage can, etc. I can't imagine what they'd do if I left them out for an hour unsupervised. Which leads to dog respecting your home... It's certainly a job to keep an eye on youngsters, and IMO at 12 months old, you still have a pup. When I can't monitor them, I shut doors to rooms I don't want them in. I have a toilet paper thief, so the bathroom door is shut if I'm not able watch her every move. That doesn't mean that she never gets into those rooms, as she needs to know that stealing tp isn't acceptable, but I don't give her the chance to do willy nilly what she wants to with it when I'm not watching. A baby gate could also be used to shut off parts of the house that you're not able to watch. I assume you could do that with your basement to stop the pooping.

I have a 7 month old countersurfer. She's the first out of 4, that I've ever had that problem with. She actually had the gall to start it while I was cooking and working at the counter, so she got pushed off hard MANY times and the word NO. I also teach the dogs OUT when I'm cooking. I turn on them and herd them out like a blue heeler, back into the living room, while saying OUT. Table scraps are few and far between, and they are only given in their dog bowls. I don't want them to have any association with the kitchen and getting food. I make sure my countersurfer doesn't find any rewards on the counter EVER, and I'm able to see the kitchen from my living room sofa. So if she trots off from the living room, my head spins like the exorcist to see what the little she devil might be into. I had to grin at another post about fresh baked cookies that a dog stole off of the counter. These are dogs after all. Invite me to your house and leave fresh baked cookies on the counter. I have manners and some will power, but darn it if I wouldn't be tempted. :D That's not to say you can't instill manners in your dog. The pattern you set forth is what you end up with. So if pups been rewarded with human food when he countersurfs, it's been reinforced and you'll have a harder time breaking the habit.

Garbage. If you don't have a can with a lid--get one. If it's a small kitchen can, move it under the sink or to a pantry. Push the garbage down or empty it, before it's overflowing. And my advice again, if you can't be there to give the dog a NO and discipline, then don't allow the opportunity of learning bad habits by leaving the youngster alone with the garbage. Hopefully the youngster will mature some and grow out of the mischievous stage AND you will meanwhile guide the youngster through what is acceptable behavior and what is not and will get him into trouble.

Have strategies for the times that you're home but busy, and don't want to put the dog in the crate. Keep a rawhide, bone, or filled kong handy to give out at those times. Don't keep them down all the time, if pup's going to get bored with them, but give them out during those times you want time to focus on something else. A new toy can buy some time too. I don't have children, to where I would have to worry about the confusion of dog stuffies versus kid stuffies, so they make good distraction here also...and I can buy them for less than a dollar at thrift stores. To try to delineate between your child's stuffies and the dogs, seems like it would be hard for a pup to do, so I would probably avoid giving your dog stuffies and stick to balls, rope toys, etc. I'm sure it can be done, but I'd just avoid the battle.

Place training to a pet bed, after he's been allowed to sleep in bed, is like turning back the clock now. I've never done it, because they're either allowed or they aren't. I'd imagine teaching DOWN, while on the pet bed, would be the place to start. I also imagine you may need an OFF/NO command, and to push or guide the dog off of the bed, when he makes a mistake. I'm sure it will take a lot of repetition, since he already thinks it's okay to be on your bed.

Exercise is a must. I have the luxury of having a few acres and being surrounded by farm fields. This time of year, running off of the ATV burns lots of energy. But I know there are city dwellers that bicycle and run with their dogs. I've heard good things about treadmills too. Training time would definitely give the dog some physical and mental exercise. At 12 months old, you could be working on retrieves, heeling, steadiness/whoa. Of course you don't want to overdo it and burn the pup up on it, but it's just a little something to add to their day. My 6.5 year old knows all that stuff, but still craves training.

I wouldn't bother with the basement kennel. Heck, without good windows, it might be more boring than the crate...and the dog will still probably sleep most of the day away. I would definitely do an outdoor kennel if you can. If I'm gone for long periods, that's where mine go. Besides having the potty advantage, there's lots to watch...squirrels, farm activity, etc.

People are often willing to help out too, just for the asking. Sometimes what we thought was going to be an 8 hour work day, turns into a 12 hour day. In that case, we have neighbors that will come up and let the dogs out of the house. They have a key and are good people that I trust both in my house and with my dogs. I don't know how many people truly know their neighbors any more, but based on my neighbors, I can't imagine not being able to find someone to let the dog out for a few minutes...especially in a city environment where neighbors are within walking distance. Of course doing it day in and day out, might mean giving them a couple dollars each day as incentive, but maybe it's money well spent. I know as an animal loving youth, I would have been all over that job.

No need to get rid of the youngster, but just have more accountability in preventing unwanted behavior, whether it be more exercise or simply not setting the pup up to fail with temptation...most likely a combination of the two.