GSP Breeders

RichK

GSP Breeders

Post by RichK » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Anyone able to recommend some of the top GSP breeders in the states that will produce a puppy with a solid pedigree who will excel in the field and home?

Quailcommando

Re: GSP Breeders

Post by Quailcommando » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Username:Vonzeppelinkennels has a beautiful litter on the ground now not sure if he has any left you can PM him.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:51 pm

We have just bred 2 outstanding dogs, VC AFC FC Thunderheads Hot Pursuit MH (Chase) X VC Gunslingers NW Heartbreaker (Cage). Pups are due around Feb, 15th.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

GSP Breeders

Post by ACooper » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Walnut Hill and Sundance, Odyssey is another one.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:We have just bred 2 outstanding dogs, VC AFC FC Thunderheads Hot Pursuit MH (Chase) X VC Gunslingers NW Heartbreaker (Cage). Pups are due around Feb, 15th.
+1 on this breeding.....
-
-

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:We have just bred 2 outstanding dogs, VC AFC FC Thunderheads Hot Pursuit MH (Chase) X VC Gunslingers NW Heartbreaker (Cage). Pups are due around Feb, 15th.

Can you send me the pedigrees and pup info?

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 pm

My website is http://www.northwaters-gsps.com that would be the easiest. or click on the little world under my username.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Rick I have 2 females & 1 male available,if your looking for a well bred hunting dog that has a lovable disposition you won't do any better regardless of price.
You can see my ad,ped,& all pups below in dogs 4 sale under Early Oct. litter.I have dogs on the FT circuit handled & trained with Chris Goegan, www.hipointkennels.com
He has won the NGSPA Ch 4 out of the last 6 yrs & won the NGSPA NSD CH another yr plus the AKC Nat CH a couple yrs ago & been the Handler of the YR these last 2 yrs.
I have sold pups & dogs to several members here also.

RichK

Post by RichK » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Rick I have 2 females & 1 male available,if your looking for a well bred hunting dog that has a lovable disposition you won't do any better regardless of price.
You can see my ad,ped,& all pups below in dogs 4 sale under Early Oct. litter.I have dogs on the FT circuit handled & trained with Chris Goegan, http://www.hipointkennels.com
He has won the NGSPA Ch 4 out of the last 6 yrs & won the NGSPA NSD CH another yr plus the AKC Nat CH a couple yrs ago & been the Handler of the YR these last 2 yrs.
I have sold pups & dogs to several members here also.
Thanks, unfortunately I'm not ready for a pup right at this time. I'm looking to get one around April.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 pm

We have a litter due in late January Our MH Rosie X Willow Creeks Honker who has three Master passes. Ready to go home April and may have a few left. But personally I would stay closer to home And contact Donny Ebersole at Friedelshiems as quick as I could. They have a litter due mid January and have a ad on this Forum " dogs for sale". Timing would be right and You can't do better. info@friedelshiem-gsp.com in Maryland............Cj

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm with Jerry, check out Friedelshiems kennels. They produce very nice dogs. We have a 8 month pup out of Willow Creeks Honker Man and like the pup lots!!!

outdoorscribe

Post by outdoorscribe » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 am

another vote for Friedelsheim.
I have a nice dog out of Thunder x Joule. Seen many others perform well in NAVHDA testing. Great drive, temperament and conformation. Donnie is a stand-up guy to deal with. He has two litters on the way.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 pm

How are the Shooting Starr or Sharp Shooter lines?

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:29 pm

I have a fair amount of Sharp Shooter in my dogs and around alot of Sharp Shooter dogs . As a whole I like them.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

GSP Breeders

Post by ACooper » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:03 pm

RichK wrote:How are the Shooting Starr or Sharp Shooter lines?
Good, I wouldn't get sold on someone claiming Shooting Starr or Sharp Shooter lines. I'd find tested proven dogs either from the source or from other breeders proving dogs from this line like Ms Cage or several others.

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Can someone explain inbreeding coefficient to me and what (if any) concerns it should/would raise?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Sharpshooters Man In Black is the sire Of Willow Creek's Honker Man Who is the sire to my litter. Willow Creek also has several litters coming fairly soon. These dogs are all more Hunting companion, Hunt test, NAVHDA, NSTRA, Walking trial type dogs as opposed to super big running horseback dogs.
Coi the higher the No. the more common ancesters basically. We like fairly high numbers from blood lines that have been around for a long time and have produced traits we want in GSPs............................CJ

RichK

Post by RichK » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:36 pm

cjhills wrote:Sharpshooters Man In Black is the sire Of Willow Creek's Honker Man Who is the sire to my litter. Willow Creek also has several litters coming fairly soon. These dogs are all more Hunting companion, Hunt test, NAVHDA, NSTRA, Walking trial type dogs as opposed to super big running horseback dogs.
Coi the higher the No. the more common ancesters basically. We like fairly high numbers from blood lines that have been around for a long time and have produced traits we want in GSPs............................CJ
Thanks for the info. I have a lot of thinking and research to do over the next week to decide which breeder(s) I'm interested in getting a pup from.

So a higher COI number isn't a bad thing?

mik

Post by mik » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:08 pm

I would "throw"Thunderhead into your pool to pick from as well.....Nice people and very nice dogs in my opinion....Excellent Family pet, great house manners, and prey drive in spades....at least in our Otto.....

In case you're interested: http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3189

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:47 pm

RichK wrote:
cjhills wrote:Sharpshooters Man In Black is the sire Of Willow Creek's Honker Man Who is the sire to my litter. Willow Creek also has several litters coming fairly soon. These dogs are all more Hunting companion, Hunt test, NAVHDA, NSTRA, Walking trial type dogs as opposed to super big running horseback dogs.
Thanks for the info. I have a lot of thinking and research to do over the next week to decide which breeder(s) I'm interested in getting a pup from.

So a higher COI number isn't a bad thing?
Not for me but I am a firm believer in inbreeding. my Sundance pup has COI Of 28 and he might be all around the best pup I ever bought. I think you will find that all the kennels you are looking at have a lot the same bloodlines. The gsp world is quite small. I wouldn't be afraid of any of them................................Cj

Gooseman07

GSP Breeders

Post by Gooseman07 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 am

ACooper wrote:
Good, I wouldn't get sold on someone claiming Shooting Starr or Sharp Shooter lines. I'd find tested proven dogs either from the source or from other breeders proving dogs from this line like Ms Cage or several others.
All you have to do to see proven lines is look at pedigrees on SSK website. I think they scream proven just by looking at the pedigrees. You can also search the NAVHDA website for sharp shooter dogs and see how they tested. I went through all of this a short time ago.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:49 am

There is lot of Good advice out there. I would talk to the breeders to find out if they hunt their dogs. Check the dogs pedigrees. Murph's shorthairs I believe posted on dogs for sale that he will have a litter coming up this spring. I have seen this dog at field trials and she is quite the dog. I know that Brian Murphy hunts his dogs. So, you might want to check him out. Just take your time and look at everything and ask lots of questions no matter who you contact. Well, I will be heading out shortly to hunt my dog Trey on some wild quail here in SE Nebraska.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Friedelsheims, Stillwater or Sundance great guys and vary proven lines that have style too.
Good luck

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

I believe you have been given many very good options to choose from above.
However, I do believe you will be the happiest or at least come the closest to finding your "dream come true" dog if you buy a pup off of dogs that have excelled at whatever venues you are interested in participating in with your new pup as it grows up.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 am

It comes down to what you want to do. Want to play NAVHDA, NASTRA, AKC, or go for broke with a horse back dog.

I wanted to do hunt tests and found a breeder that does them as well. I looked at ton of kennels and a lot of nice dogs. I ended up going with Standing Stone Kennels, I've been more then happy and have a nother deposit on a pup for this spring. If you can go to the kennels and see them! You can see their dogs and the operation they have. That is what I did but I know not everyone can road trip that much.

http://www.standingstonekennels.com

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 am

Gooseman07 wrote:
ACooper wrote:
All you have to do to see proven lines is look at pedigrees on SSK website. I think they scream proven just by looking at the pedigrees. You can also search the NAVHDA website for sharp shooter dogs and see how they tested. I went through all of this a short time ago.

I did the same almost a year ago. I've seen quite a few sharp shooter dogs at tests and if they have the basics down they almost always do well. My pup is out of Tango from sharpshooters and she has style and drive for days!
Spending time on NAVHDA can get your head spining with information but it is a really great place to check out dogs.

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:52 am

I'd offer up Chippewa Kennels out here in Corvallis Oregon
Howard and Vickie Meyer are great people and offer up more than just selling you a pup
Howard is the President of Willamette Valley NAVHDA chapter
www.chippewa-gsp.com

Good luck with whatever you decide

Nick

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice, it is definitely going to be a tough decision between choosing which breeder to go with and who is going to have a litter on the ground around the time I want to pick up a pup.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:04 am

When you get your short list together, make a point of actually going to the kennel & meeting the people (and dogs) behind the name.

All the internet recommendations in the world aren't equal to at least one in-person visit.

JMHO,

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:22 pm

SubMariner wrote:When you get your short list together, make a point of actually going to the kennel & meeting the people (and dogs) behind the name.

All the internet recommendations in the world aren't equal to at least one in-person visit.

JMHO,
I wish I could but in reality it is cost prohibitive. Being in NY, if I traveled to MN and SC to check out breeders it would cost me 2-3x the cost of the dog.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 pm

RichK wrote:
SubMariner wrote:When you get your short list together, make a point of actually going to the kennel & meeting the people (and dogs) behind the name.

JMHO,
I wish I could but in reality it is cost prohibitive. Being in NY, if I traveled to MN and SC to check out breeders it would cost me 2-3x the cost of the dog.

Find people that have dogs from the kennel and have been there if you have to. Using NAVHDA or just ask the breeder, any good one will have customers that will have no issues talking shop with someone looking for a dog. This will at least give you an idea!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:40 pm

My vote is still Friedelshiems. Their breedings are as good as there is and you don't have to travel all 0ver the country. you are going to like the pup from any of these breeders. If I ever buy another pup it will be from them. I don't even know them but I know their dogs................. Cj

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 pm

cjhills wrote:My vote is still Friedelshiems. Their breedings are as good as there is and you don't have to travel all 0ver the country. you are going to like the pup from any of these breeders. If I ever buy another pup it will be from them. I don't even know them but I know their dogs................. Cj
Right now they are on my top 3 list. Thunderhead is my top choice right now. They have a pedigree that is what I'm looking for and a dam that looks identical to my current GSP.

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Got my last pup from Hi-N kennels he has turned out to be a great dog very natural in the field and a blast to have around the house TONS of personality.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Thunderhead definitely has proven stuff. I bred to Rowdy my last litter and have a half sister of his that I will hopefully have pups out of by morning. They are high drive and really good looking. Really calm temperament.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Walnut Hill Kennels Brenda Roe and Rick Hopkins
Scott Townsend also has some nice GSP's

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Call Charlie Rose,of Wild Rose kennel.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Just heard from Thunderhead's and it looks like all of the females are reserved from the breeding I was looking at.

mik

Post by mik » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

So, you had your heart set on a female then??? Are you looking to breed the dog in the future? Just a personal preference (for a female) ??

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 pm

mik wrote:So, you had your heart set on a female then??? Are you looking to breed the dog in the future? Just a personal preference (for a female) ??
I don't have any plans on breeding. I've had male dogs all of my life and just decided that I want my next dog to be a female.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

GSP Breeders

Post by ACooper » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 pm

With most or all of the kennels mentioned you will need to get on a list VERY early.

Donnie at Friedlesheim has two litters coming, he may still have a female from one. You wouldn't be disappointed with one of his pups.

RichK

Post by RichK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 pm

ACooper wrote:With most or all of the kennels mentioned you will need to get on a list VERY early.

Donnie at Friedlesheim has two litters coming, he may still have a female from one. You wouldn't be disappointed with one of his pups.
I am strongly considering Donnie's litters. I really want a heavily ticked live colored dog with a solid liver head so I might just roll the dice on his first litter and hope there is a female available once they hit the ground and I can scoop her up.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

GSP Breeders

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:05 am

You also might consider talking to the breeders, Ron at Thunderhead or Donnie or whoever you choose, about people using their studs. Lots of super nice litters produced by folks who don't have a "big name".

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 am

RichK wrote:Just heard from Thunderhead's and it looks like all of the females are reserved from the breeding I was looking at.
This litter out of a Thunderhead bitch was whelped last night.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=44478

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Might also want to check out and talk with Judy at www.crystalkennels.com

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Adam wrote:Might also want to check out and talk with Judy at http://www.crystalkennels.com
I've thought about it but I don't go for their "Seldom, if ever, do we allow people to "pick" their own pup." rule, if I'm paying you I'm choosing what I want, not what you want to give me!

It's like going to the car dealer and telling them you need a vehicle to commute 15 minutes to work everyday and they swipe your credit card and hand you the keys to a Prius when you know you want a diesel truck!

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:07 pm

RichK wrote:
Adam wrote:Might also want to check out and talk with Judy at http://www.crystalkennels.com
I've thought about it but I don't go for their "Seldom, if ever, do we allow people to "pick" their own pup." rule, if I'm paying you I'm choosing what I want, not what you want to give me!

It's like going to the car dealer and telling them you need a vehicle to commute 15 minutes to work everyday and they swipe your credit card and hand you the keys to a Prius when you know you want a diesel truck!
I agree, I they want WAY too much control for a dog that YOU will pay for!

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Elkhunter wrote:
RichK wrote:

I agree, I they want WAY too much control for a dog that YOU will pay for!
Glad I'm not the only person that thinks that way.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 pm

I can assure you your not the only 2 on here that feels that way.I would never buy a pup with any kind of stipulations & don't have any on the pups I sell.
I feel the same about any kind of written contracts!! If my word & a hand shake is not enough I will do business elsewhere & buyers can do the same.

I might try to steer new first time buyers to a particular pup but would not limit them to that,they spend their money they have a right to a choice.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I can tell you from experience. You do not know what kind of pup he or she will grow up to be. So, when you decide on getting your pup, if you have first pick or last pick, if that dog catches your eye, then go for it. Only time will tell but I can tell you most times you will not go wrong. Good luck, on ever you get your pup from.