E collar/back up

Big bloc

E collar/back up

Post by Big bloc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:15 am

I was thinking about a e collar but wanted what happens when it fails. What back up plan do you use? Do you pack it in and go home if your out in the field? Does the dog know its not working and takes off? Just wanted some thoughts on this. Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: E collar/back up

Post by shags » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 am

If you're out training and find that the collar isn't working, then stop training anything that you can't back up by another means. Most you can use your lead or cc anyhow.

If you're using the collar for trash breaking and it fails, then you're pretty much SOL. Just hope for the best :lol:

The best thing is to purchase a reliable brand of collar, and always check that it's operating before you take the dog out. And that being said, you need to know how long your unit will hold a good charge in your current conditions ( cold, warm, whatever) and be very vigilant about keeping it charged up. Then you don't have to worry about it not working when you need it.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:58 am

If I'm going any distance to hunt, I take a back up collar. My main collar is a TT Pro 100 (2 dog). My back up collar is a TT classic 70 EXP. Both my collars on the 100 will work with the classic 70 EXP. When you are driving 2 or 3 states to get in some hunting it is worth the extra cost of having 2 collars. Two years ago my buddy's collar shot craps and he used my back up to save his hunt :D I also take a 2nd gun when I travel---seems like they break down more often than the collars :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:54 am

shags wrote:If you're out training and find that the collar isn't working, then stop training anything that you can't back up by another means. Most you can use your lead or cc anyhow.

If you're using the collar for trash breaking and it fails, then you're pretty much SOL. Just hope for the best :lol:

The best thing is to purchase a reliable brand of collar, and always check that it's operating before you take the dog out. And that being said, you need to know how long your unit will hold a good charge in your current conditions ( cold, warm, whatever) and be very vigilant about keeping it charged up. Then you don't have to worry about it not working when you need it.
Well said. :)

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:00 pm

I have failed to turn the receiver on before turning a dog loose. My tritronics collar has never failed.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm

rinker wrote:I have failed to turn the receiver on before turning a dog loose. My tritronics collar has never failed.
I will second this, on top of forgetting to replace the battery on the transmitter once. Never again :lol: !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

It is a very rare thing that a transmitter fails, it's usually the collar. I always get a two-dog unit so if I have to send one in for repair, I have the other.

However, all dogs should be totally manually trained before the collar is used. The collar is a reinforcement. So, if your collar goes out, run a dummy on the dog and go out and "get em' " if you have to until the collar is returned.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:12 pm

The back up should be the training you done before the collar .
Let's face it, if it ain't gonna do it without the collar , it ain't learned.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:23 pm

I am with Polmaise. E-collar is for training and polishing behavior. My dog wears his when hunting for the positive connection but I do not use it.