Is this a good fit?

SubMariner

Is this a good fit?

Post by SubMariner » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:13 am

As a local GSP Club we recently got a call from someone looking for information about upcoming Field events in our area. Of course we were happy to oblige! However, during the conversation I became increasingly concerned that this person was really not getting the point of a dog, let alone a high energy hunting breed like a GSP. Had they not already bought the dog, I sincerely would have tried to talk them out of it.

It's a pup of only 6 months old, but she has shipped him off to a trainer for a month... "longer if necessary". She has already been told by people (myself included) that at his age, he is really not ready for true field training. However, she wants him to "learn manners & obedience" from a trainer because with three children under the age of 7, she really doesn't have time to do it herself. But she'll try to go up & visit while the dog is being trained. According to her, running space is not an issue, because they have several acres of ranch land.

Apparently the dog jumps on people, including her three year old, which she "won't stand for".

What is this woman thinking? She has a busy schedule, three little kids, and then buys a GSP puppy???

I can't think that this will be a good situation for anyone, esp the puppy. :(

RichK

Re: Is this a good fit?

Post by RichK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:27 am

I would bet the dog ends up in a shelter within a year.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:52 am

She will probably get rid of it. What is really needed is a kennel to protect the dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Obviously has big $$$$$$. When that's the case, alternatives to proper personal responsibility are common. Maybe the trainer will have found a star and keep the dog. One can only hope. :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

If the Trainer is good,they will recognise the situation and act accordingly ,regardless of the $$