Pup making weird noises in his crate

atothek

Pup making weird noises in his crate

Post by atothek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey everyone,
I have a 10 week old GSP named Dallas (I will post some pics of him in another thread). Over the last week or so I have noticed a wet spot in his crate after he is in there for a few hours. Im almost a 100% sure its not urine, because it doesn't smell like it. Rather, it has a hint of food smell and a little smell of iron (maybe Im just going crazy). Im guessing he is regurgitating/vomiting water. We do give him access to water while he is out of his crate, we take it away about 2-2.5 hours prior to bed time, and he drinks water like a fish. He is very good about going to the door when he wants to go out, and we take him out religiously before and after crating him. He shows no signs of being sick or unhealthy, he has a strong appetite and loves to run around. I brought his crate closer to my bed the last few nights just to see if I could figure out whats going on. I have noticed he makes a weird swallowing noise like he has a huge bolus of liquid in his mouth then he licks his chops. This happened at approx 1 am last night (we take his water away around 7:30-8pm). The noise is very similar to when he drinks a lot of water and it sounds like its going to come back up. I haven't noticed any wet spots in the last couple days. I'm sure this all sounds crazy but I was wondering if anyone here has/had similar experiences with their dog. I appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Aaron

PS its very hard to describe the sound, but its weird (sounds like he's about to go swimming or he just downed a whole swimming pool). On the other hand, he does get hiccups a lot and maybe that has something to do with it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup making weird noises in his crate

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:38 pm

10 weeks

It's amazing what noises a pup can come up with to get out of the crate. :) Some normal anxiety = some slobbering etc. Perfectly normal. Ignore him. :) How long is he in the crate?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Nervous slobbering. May have a carsick issue down the road, but he will likely outgrow it.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:58 pm

My yellow lab has done this since they day we brought him home. He will just randomly throw up water with nothing in it, no food or stomach juices. Sounds like someone is pouring a glass of water from his stomach and out his mouth, and then he coughs and moves on with his day. Usually happens 4-5 times a day, and seems to happen more if we let him drink a bunch of water at a time, and is getting more frequent as he gets older. The good news is that he is 8 years old and it hasn't seemed to effect him at all.

atothek

Post by atothek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. At night he is in the crate from 10:30pm - 5:30 am (latest 6am). He goes back in at 7:45 am and I am home by 12:15/12:30pm. I put him back in around 1:15/1:130pm and take him out by 5pm ish. We hang out with him in the kitchen/dining room when we are home. We watch him like a hawk and have barriers to prevent him from getting into other rooms, If he touches carpet he loves to pee on it. I will be building a kennel out on our deck for him, once he is a few months older, to keep him during the day and bring him into the house with us at night.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:36 pm

At night he is in the crate from 10:30pm - 5:30 am (latest 6am). He goes back in at 7:45 am and I am home by 12:15/12:30pm. I put him back in around 1:15/1:130pm and take him out by 5pm ish.
Poor dog. Locked up worse than prison. Maybe an outdoor kennel with some room to move around in? At his age he has a ton of energy to burn up...

atothek

Post by atothek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:48 pm

@mark yes I mentioned that I will be building him an outdoor kennel. He doesn't seem to make much noise when he is in the crate, in fact when we open the crate door he just sits in there. We run him around as much as possible once we get home in the evening, at lunch I let him burn some energy too. By bed time he is curled up and ready to get into the crate. I didn't realize that a 10 week old pup couldn't be in a crate during the day, even though I come home at lunch and let him out...

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:10 pm

markj wrote:
At night he is in the crate from 10:30pm - 5:30 am (latest 6am). He goes back in at 7:45 am and I am home by 12:15/12:30pm. I put him back in around 1:15/1:130pm and take him out by 5pm ish.
Poor dog. Locked up worse than prison. Maybe an outdoor kennel with some room to move around in? At his age he has a ton of energy to burn up...

What????

I know this seems to be a hot topic but how is this worse than a prison? 4 hour stints in the crate with an hour or so of play before and after is just fine for a puppy.

What am I suposed to take off work for 6 months while I have puppy? Sounds like the pup is well taken care of and I would assume is getting lots of people and play time. I love my dogs to death but they are dogs.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

that's right they are dogs, NOT GOLDFISH, I am shocked at the number of people that think keeping a young high energy breed in a small box most of the day is somehow Ok because its convenient

OP this isn't directed at you but you do need to build that kennel ASAP

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Nothing wrong with a dog being in a kennel. I have a young high energy Irish( 1 year old) and he has no issues in a crate for 4-5 hours at a time. Most times I end up waking him up and he takes his time getting out of the kennel. Dogs pretty much sleep 18 hours+ a day. Get him some good exercise in the morning mid day and evening along with some training and he will be happy to sleep in a nice dark kennel for 4-5 hours at a time. The trick is proper crate introduction and having a calm well bred dog. Many days I work from home and the dog will be asleep in the kennel ( door open for a good 4+ hours) after a morning training session. He doesnt sleep in it at night however but sleeps on a dog bed on the floor in our room, he doesnt move until my feet hit the floor in the morning.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 pm

atothek wrote:Thanks for the replies. At night he is in the crate from 10:30pm - 5:30 am (latest 6am). He goes back in at 7:45 am and I am home by 12:15/12:30pm. I put him back in around 1:15/1:130pm and take him out by 5pm ish. We hang out with him in the kitchen/dining room when we are home. We watch him like a hawk and have barriers to prevent him from getting into other rooms, If he touches carpet he loves to pee on it. I will be building a kennel out on our deck for him, once he is a few months older, to keep him during the day and bring him into the house with us at night.

Perfect. Good for you.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:03 am

bobman wrote:that's right they are dogs, NOT GOLDFISH, I am shocked at the number of people that think keeping a young high energy breed in a small box most of the day is somehow Ok because its convenient

So I have a 8 week old puppy in December, in Iowa. Your saying playing wih my pup before kenneling for four hours is worse then sticking it outside in 5 degree wether? My dog could be out most of the day but she chooses her kennel. It is normal and okay to kennel with a break for potty and play time. If your dog won't settle down in a kennel your doing it a diservice by not stimulating the pup.

I'll ask again do I need to take 6 months off work with a new pup?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:15 am

Dog spend most of their life sleeping,about 16 to 18 hours a day. The crate is their den. It is neither cruel our inhumane for a pup to spend the day in a crate At 8 weeks most won't be a to go all day with out urinating. If you have close neighbors you might have more problems with a outdoor kennel when barrier frustration and barking starts.....................Cj

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Haha that's funny. I keep my pups inside for most of the day. They probably spend 3 hours outside during the week supervised. They go out training and back in the crate. I must be the worst owner ever. I won't let them Out around the house till they are two years old.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:40 am

I know this seems to be a hot topic but how is this worse than a prison? 4 hour stints in the crate with an hour or so of play before and after is just fine for a puppy.

What am I suposed to take off work for 6 months while I have puppy?
Its yer dog, do with it as you wish. Mine is inside, her crate door is off, she has teh run of the house. I'm at work, she knows right from wrong cause I taught her. A dog needs to be able to move about, not sit for hours locked up in a small box. It dont take 6 months, took me3 days. I got 7 shorthairs and have had more. train it right like you do your kids....oh right....forgot about the "new" parenting, let tv raise em up.....or the ps4....

gotta run, going to boy scouts.... my kids dont watch much tv or play ps4 cause we dont own one :) we go shoot, camp, hunt....

Mark Newman

Post by Mark Newman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:23 am

dsmtsi wrote:
bobman wrote:that's right they are dogs, NOT GOLDFISH, I am shocked at the number of people that think keeping a young high energy breed in a small box most of the day is somehow Ok because its convenient

So I have a 8 week old puppy in December, in Iowa. Your saying playing wih my pup before kenneling for four hours is worse then sticking it outside in 5 degree wether? My dog could be out most of the day but she chooses her kennel. It is normal and okay to kennel with a break for potty and play time. If your dog won't settle down in a kennel your doing it a diservice by not stimulating the pup.

On the lighter side:
Well, Maybe not 6 months, but They are giving men 6 weeks of maternity leave now days at some businesses. I think it would possibly be a good practice if they start seeing the importance to we dog owners to have 6 weeks to get our new pups acclimated to home. This definitely should not carry over for cat owners. :wink: They are fine all by themselves 24 hours a day.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:41 pm

markj wrote:

What am I suposed to take off work for 6 months while I have puppy?
Its yer dog, do with it as you wish. Mine is inside, her crate door is off, she has teh run of the house. I'm at work, she knows right from wrong cause I taught her. A dog needs to be able to move about, not sit for hours locked up in a small box. It dont take 6 months, took me3 days. I got 7 shorthairs and have had more. train it right like you do your kids....oh right....forgot about the "new" parenting, let tv raise em up.....or the ps4....

gotta run, going to boy scouts.... my kids dont watch much tv or play ps4 cause we dont own one :) we go shoot, camp, hunt....
In three days your puppy will not pee in the house or get into one thing it shouldn't?? You sir need to start selling your training methods.

dsmtsi

Post by dsmtsi » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Mark Newman wrote:
dsmtsi wrote:

On the lighter side:
Well, Maybe not 6 months, but They are giving men 6 weeks of maternity leave now days at some businesses. I think it would possibly be a good practice if they start seeing the importance to we dog owners to have 6 weeks to get our new pups acclimated to home. This definitely should not carry over for cat owners. :wink: They are fine all by themselves 24 hours a day.

I second the motion!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:46 am

In three days your puppy will not pee in the house or get into one thing it shouldn't??
Now I sure didnt say that, but yes house trained in 3 days last 2 pups, as for things to get into, keep them off the floor and out of reach. Like when you have a toddler starting to walk, everything needs to be 4 feet off the floor, the 4 foot rule :) Do not set the pup up to fail, set pup up to learn and not get into trouble. Some folks have a room just for the pup, kinda like a room just for the new baby...... Its just common sense there. nothing mystical or majical.