Collars what do u use

Rakoprtr

Collars what do u use

Post by Rakoprtr » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Just curious as to what everyone uses for a collar I've been using a cheap nylon camo one from Wally but want to get something that's going to last so whats everybody's preference

1 inch or 2 inch

Brass riveted tag or hanging

Material??

Color??

Add pics if u can and links if u can

RichK

Re: Collars what do u use

Post by RichK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:20 pm

I use the 1" synthetic leather type collars with the riveted name tag, blaze orange in color.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Me too ^^^

I order all mine from Gundogsupply - and they are great collars. Fast turn around and quality nameplates. I like the ones with the ring in the middle.

I did buy a few different colors for the beagles, just for fun!

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Can someone post a link or the exact name of the material I was lookin on gun dog supply but don't know the difference between the materials

I believe it's the tru flex is this correct??

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Here's what I use for regular collars: http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort ... ollar.html

Checkcords and leashes plus anything custom made, I use permatack: www.permatack.com

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Here's what I use for regular collars: http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort ... ollar.html

Checkcords and leashes plus anything custom made, I use permatack: http://www.permatack.com

Thx much

natel24

Post by natel24 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:04 am

My dog wears a 1" leather collar that's stamped with his name on it and also has nice tooling on the edges. Picked it up at a local gun show for 25$, the guy was making gun slings, belts, etc..

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:44 am

1" nylon or leather collars STINK and there's little you can do about it. I like the 1" orange plastic coated. Durable and don't smell.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:33 am

Do these ones stink after awhile like nylon or leather does

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:22 am

Nope, no stinking on these collars, or the permatack. All are sealed.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:27 am

Those kind don't seem to hold odors and are easy to wipe clean. But the one I had faded pretty quickly. I prefer the coated nylon, I think it's called Day-Glo. If you look around online you can find them in just about any color in any configuration ( D ring, center ring, various widths, etc). Mine came from dogsunlimited, with a name plate.

mrtyde

Post by mrtyde » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I use the Leather feel collar from Lion Country Supply. In my opinion they are very durable and affordable.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:53 pm

once a dog is full grown or very close, I have their collars made. Guy in Redmond, Ore has a leather shop, makes custom boot's. I had him make the last two. Harness leather outside with a soft leather inside. Glued and sewn all the way around and brass metal. He also put's on the name tag if I have it with me. He puts them on with a brass screw and post. He uses loc tight on the screw.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:56 pm

I have used a variety of leather collars over the years and for the most part like 1" stitched without the O ring on top. (not sure of what the benefit is).

I have tried the 1" collar from GDS Dee-End "Field-Grade" Treated Nylon Collar - #1672 and like the construction and durability but the colors fade.

Only time I run into a stinky collar is when they roll in something or get hit by a skunk. In that instance the collar is not the only thing that stinks and everything gets a hose down and bath.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I have three orange and white pointer females, I have one red and one green K 9 comfort collar and one orange Permatack collar. I like having different colors for the different dogs. I run center ring collars and have a name tag riveted on each one, I like these collars as they have minimal fade and can be cleaned very easy. In the off season I have leather collars that I put on them and store the bright colored collars out of the sun.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:00 pm

[quote="AZ Brittany Guy"]I have used a variety of leather collars over the years and for the most part like 1" stitched without the O ring on top. (not sure of what the benefit is).

I use the O ring every day because it is always at the back of the neck and is easy to attach a leash to. I use the permatack collar with the D and O ring and I do like to have both! I like to use the D ring when staking the dog out.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:18 am

I went back to these http://www.gundogsupply.com/k9k-day-glow-collars.html. I tried the TufFlex but after a while they cracked and split. The Day Glow collars have lasted longer, they are easy to clean are cheap but the will fade a little. I don't like leather or nylon collars for field, they pick up too much dirt hold odors.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I have used a variety of leather collars over the years and for the most part like 1" stitched without the O ring on top. (not sure of what the benefit is).
The purpose of the center ring is to allow the collar to flex more easily if your dog gets hung up, so he can back out of it. It gives some leeway that a plain flat collar won't.

Because of that, if the center ring is used to attach a lead or to hook up to a chaingang or stakeout, the collar needs to be snugged down a bit more if the dog is inclined to back out.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:03 am

Ok so I have decided on the tuff flex from gun dog supply I was wondering if anyone has tried the tuff flex leashes or if permatack is the overall favirote in that department

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Rakoprtr wrote:Ok so I have decided on the tuff flex from gun dog supply I was wondering if anyone has tried the tuff flex leashes or if permatack is the overall favirote in that department
Perma-Tack collars and leashes are a one-time purchase. They cost 3 times what other collars cost but you are still only talking about $20. The cheaper on-line collars are totally disposable.

RichK

Post by RichK » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I have a Tuf-flex leash. They are durable, easy to clean, and do anything I would expect a leash to do.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:12 pm

MonsterDad wrote:
Rakoprtr wrote:Ok so I have decided on the tuff flex from gun dog supply I was wondering if anyone has tried the tuff flex leashes or if permatack is the overall favirote in that department
Perma-Tack collars and leashes are a one-time purchase. They cost 3 times what other collars cost but you are still only talking about $20. The cheaper on-line collars are totally disposable.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the permatack leash but I'm worried about the collar bieng to stiff which is why I was thinking of the tuff flex one could u give me a rough estimate of the comparison of the stiffness and does the permatack seem to bother ur dog at all

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Rakoprtr wrote:
MonsterDad wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the permatack leash but I'm worried about the collar bieng to stiff which is why I was thinking of the tuff flex one could u give me a rough estimate of the comparison of the stiffness and does the permatack seem to bother ur dog at all
It is stiff and double-layered, sewn and riveted but the collar is constructed in a radius, not just flat. It naturally forms a circle around the dog's neck. Never bothers my dog. I think you will be fine.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Thx MD that's what I was lookin for just put in my order for a collar and six foot leash and might possibly get a check cord as we'll I'm gonna see how I like this stuff first thx for everyone's opinion and experiance it really helped make my decision

Wildirishman64

Collars what do u use

Post by Wildirishman64 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Camo waterfowl 1 inch around the house. Garmin delta when in the field

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:53 am

1" nylon collar with a boomerang tag.
Got tired of the hanging tags wearing out and the rivets ripping out of the collar. No issues with these, and a warranty for the life of the pet!
http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags

Blange

Post by Blange » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:20 am

I use Duralon collars from Dogs Unlimited. They are durable and don't stink. They also have multiple ring styles and colars available aswell as riveted name tags.