Please Help!!

Vanebecker

Please Help!!

Post by Vanebecker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Ok so i have a 2 1/2 month old bluetick hound female and she is VERRY aggressive! She growls at my wife and kids around food or if she dont want to play or be picked up she will growl and snap at them but never at me....untill today... She was outside eating somthing off the ground and my wife tried to pick her up and she snapped at her so she came and got me...i went to get her and she bit the tar out of my hand!! I dont know what to do anymore im told not to pop her or say no and picking her up by the scuff dont work so i dont know how to punish or discipline her...nothing i do works PlEASe help me establish head of the pack or SOMTHING!!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Please Help!!

Post by shags » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Any of my young pups that try that stuff get popped in the chops, shook by the scruff, and get a really big "NO!!!". Never have had to make that correction more than once.

Set her up and make your correction. Then let your wife set the pup up and correct her. If your kids are older they can do the same with you around close. If your kids are little don't let them around the pup until she she doesn't offer any more of that behavior to you or your wife. Once she's good with you, set her up with a kid with you being right there and the instant she lifts a lip, stiffens up, or growls, pop her a good one and tell her no.

Good luck.

Vanebecker

Please Help!!

Post by Vanebecker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:58 pm

So i pop her mouth? If that will work then ill do it i just dont want to ruin her

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:31 pm

How do you think you will ruin her? She bit you! Was she afraid of ruining you? Keep "bleep" footing around her and it'll be one of your kids next, sorry to say, and who knows what she'll be like when she's grown.

My pups get a pop under the chin with an open hand and a good scruff shaking with the other and I yell "NO!" all fast and as mean as a rattlesnake. Bossy pups need a strong message. You don't have to beat them up or anything, but you must make a big impression. Once and done, usually. At my house, we try to set up every pup in a few situations just so we can get things straight from the beginning...they need to know that they might not like everything I do to them, but they have to tolerate it. That means taking things out of their mouths, handling their feet, cleaning their ears, taking away food and toys, restraining them, or whatever. My dogs are all happy and friendly and good at their jobs, and I don't ever worry about them snapping or biting.

Good luck with your pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:34 pm

10 weeks old .
That's pretty aggressive for a pup - "bit the tar out of my hand". BE VERY tough.I'd be doing more than a pop on the nose. You won't ruin her ; you might save her. Is this your first dog? Any info on what the other pups are like? Did you see the parents? Was pup with her Mom for 8 weeks?

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Before you "pop" the dog, can I ask if you have had this dog since it was a pup?? If not, I recommend you find the dog a good working home and start over. I don't think its advisable to keep dogs with unknown baggage, especially with young children.

Just wondering...but what other possession issues does the dog have?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:11 pm

That personality at that age is not normal. Take her back where you got her.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:50 pm

She needs to go back. The longer you keep her the more difficult it will be for the breeder to rehome her. She is not a good fit as a family dog. Sounds like she would make a good coon hound in the hands of an experienced handler.

I have scars from a coon hound my family owned when I was a child. It was eating from a can my grandmother had used to catch bacon grease. I was only six hears old. Thinking the pup might cut himself, I reached down to pick up the can. Luckly my grandfather was there to pull off the dog, just a puppy, or I would not be writing this post.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:44 pm

You have to do alot of submissive type of training, when you go to grab something from him and he goes to bite, you immediately flip this pup over on his back standing over him and not letting him go until he stops moving, have your wife and if your kids are old enough do the same thing, be very firm, this pup needs to learn his order in the pack. If he is small enough hold him up buy his shoulders and let his rear legs dangle, do not let him down until he is submissive. I have used this technique many times throughout the years and have had great success. I had a dog go after another dog the other day, the dog he went after just happened to be right by me, I immediately flipped him over on his back and pinned him down until he stopped moving, no more issues. Your pup has to learn that what ever he has or gets is because you and your family let him have it. Every single pup I get, gets a great chicken dinner at a young age, I touch the pup when he eats and even take it away from him while he is eating, I had two pups get aggressive with me the one time, after the first time they learned there place in the pack. I hope you can break him of the aggressive behavior, just be consistent and firm, do not let him get away with so much as a sniff.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:28 am

Hey man, this pup has been nothing but bad news for you and your family. Do what's best for you and your family. That being said I have an infant and a young son, not once did any of the older dogs or the puppy nip, steal a cookie or knock them down. A dog owns nothing , it is all yours and your family's. You , your wife, your kids should be able to take their food, grab their lips, take their bone ,grab their feet, and reach into their kennel. They shouldn't cower , bite , growl or jump on you or your family. I ask the dogs to jump on me by tapping my chest, if they aren't invited they get a knee to the chest. They catch on real fast.

Vanebecker

Please Help!!

Post by Vanebecker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:33 am

Well i set he up and when she growled i poped the mess outa her mouth and she yelped and now there is no prob at all, she even plays softer! I have kept tabs on her sence she was born and she was raised like she should have been and her parrents were awesome dogs, but she was the biggest pup and bullied the others, but now that i know that being that firm with her isnt BAD like all other info on the web says, she is a good dog and easier to train so thanks a LOT guys i guess every pup is diff

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 am

don't let up because you are seeing improvement. most likely she will eventually try and challenge you again. read big jakes post again, good advice there, IMHO.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:18 am

Vanebecker wrote:Well i set he up and when she growled i poped the mess outa her mouth and she yelped and now there is no prob at all, she even plays softer! I have kept tabs on her sence she was born and she was raised like she should have been and her parrents were awesome dogs, but she was the biggest pup and bullied the others, but now that i know that being that firm with her isnt BAD like all other info on the web says, she is a good dog and easier to train so thanks a LOT guys i guess every pup is diff

Some pups need to be put in their place while most just need to be handled to learn their place, i.e being held upside down while touching their feet,ears,mouth etc and they learn that you are the boss and they are not in peril. Some people, a growing number i believe try and humanize dogs which is dangerous at best but most of that is with smaller breeds so people kind of think it is funny, cute or harmless when a little dog growls so they do not think twice about it.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:01 am

And some dogs are just programed like this and no matter what you do you wont correct it. Give it your best shot and if it doesn't work do what needs to be done.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:22 am

Vanebecker wrote: but she was the biggest pup and bullied the others, but now that i know that being that firm with her isnt BAD like all other info on the web says, she is a good dog and easier to train so thanks a LOT guys i guess every pup is diff
You picked the alpha pup from the litter - likely a poor choice for a family dog - you will likely continue to be challenged by this puppy as she grows and certainly when she reaches maturity. You'd better get a quick handle on this....google NILIF, nothing in life is free. Institute those recommendations - and get your wife totally on board. You're going to have a large dog that is aggressive to your wife and kids if you don't get a handle on this quickly.

That dog is allowed to do what you let her do, nothing else. I would really come down hard on her for any infraction of the rules - you picked the most aggressive, largest of the litter - you'll have to really get a handle on her.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:25 am

I grab the pups snout firmly and say no bite. If pup still wishes to bite me then pup gets a smack upside the head. grown dogs get a sharp kick to the head as they usually are someone elses dog, mine dont bite :)

Vanebecker

Please Help!!

Post by Vanebecker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 pm

I done the rolling over realy fast and holding her there and it REALY works haha she wont go NEAR the table it scared the crap outa her, i seen it in her face!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Be careful about bringing out the big guns for every little infraction. Save them for the big important things. Once you establish who the boss is, a simple stern 'no' ought to be enough for most misbehavior.

You don't want to turn into a bully, you want to be a leader your dog can respect and trust. She's only a little baby puppy, don't try to get her all trained up in a few days. Make sure she's over the growling and biting - her major issue - and down shift for your correections for other less harmful puppy behaviors.

Vanebecker

Please Help!!

Post by Vanebecker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Cool thanks a lot guys!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:50 pm

RoostersMom wrote:
Vanebecker wrote: but she was the biggest pup and bullied the others, but now that i know that being that firm with her isnt BAD like all other info on the web says, she is a good dog and easier to train so thanks a LOT guys i guess every pup is diff
You picked the alpha pup from the litter - likely a poor choice for a family dog - you will likely continue to be challenged by this puppy as she grows and certainly when she reaches maturity. You'd better get a quick handle on this....google NILIF, nothing in life is free. Institute those recommendations - and get your wife totally on board. You're going to have a large dog that is aggressive to your wife and kids if you don't get a handle on this quickly.

That dog is allowed to do what you let her do, nothing else. I would really come down hard on her for any infraction of the rules - you picked the most aggressive, largest of the litter - you'll have to really get a handle on her.
Agreed on this you got an alpha pup which is JMHO is the worst pick for a family with young kids.

This pup needs to be put in its place and kept there as stated before that pup Owns NOTHING. Aggressive behavior is not accepted even a dirty look in this pups case should get a dose or two of a Come to Jesus meeting.

Talk to the breeder was momma or the sire aggressive maybe there is some hard wiring gone wrong and this pup soon to be dog never to be trusted around young kids.
You can not love a dog out of that ..it needs to know the world will end if that _____keeps up and if not corrected properly the pup will grow into the behavior more as it gets away with it and yes also be on your toes as alpha types will always be waiting for that opportunity to be the leader in the pack