Pass it on / pay it forward

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:41 pm

I know this is prolly the wrong place for this but I figured it would get more attention here has anybody tried to start a pas a it on or pay it foward thread where people pass on equipment or training aids they don't use anymore for whatever reason a couple car forums I'm on do it and it seems to work out well as long as aholes don't take stuff and sell it on there local cl

Anyway the way it works is u post something u r willin to give away for free or just for cost of shipping either u tried it and didn't like it or got ur use out of it and no longer need someone post they want it on shipping info and they pass on the favor

like was mentioned before plz don't be that guy that takes stuff and sells it on cl flee bay or wherever if u do get something ur not gonna use repost it again to pass on to someone else who may want it

If y'all wanna give it a try Id be willing to start it let me know what y'all think /// mods if this has been done before or is not allowed plz feel free to set me straight

Rakoprtr

Re: Pass it on / pay it forward

Post by Rakoprtr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:35 am

We'll nobody has told me I'm crazy or stupid yet so let's try this and see how it goes. up for grabs is a tri tronics 100 lr both batteries hold a decent charge comes with the case everything that originally came with it and a leather holster for the remote ill cover shipping anywhere conus it is an older model (precided the pro100) but it works fine would make a good back up collar for someone who travels more than a few hours to hunt let me know If ya want it u can text me for pics 870 329 4675 merry Christmas

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Gave away my old Sport Basic ; still works great . Guy couldn't afford a new collar. LOTS of folks did LOTS for me over the years for free.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Why should you give it away to the people that cant care for their animals in the first place. That is a core reason I dont sell dogs to people that try and "bleep" with me about the price. If you cant afford the dog then you cant afford to care/train the dog either. Not a bad idea though and I have helped lots of folks with their training and needs cause I like to.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:13 pm

topher40 wrote:Why should you give it away to the people that cant care for their animals in the first place. That is a core reason I dont sell dogs to people that try and "bleep" with me about the price. If you cant afford the dog then you cant afford to care/train the dog either. Not a bad idea though and I have helped lots of folks with their training and needs cause I like to.
I like to help anyone I can but I have no understanding at all of the statement if you can't afford to buy a dog you can't take care of it. Purchase is in one day while caring for one is spread over 10 or 15 years.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:30 pm

"I like to help anyone I can but I have no understanding at all of the statement if you can't afford to buy a dog you can't take care of it. Purchase is in one day while caring for one is spread over 10 or 15 years."

I'm on both sides of the fence here a 500 plus purchase in one day is hard for most people and is diff than spending twenty bucks on food every few weeks but on the same hand the one time I've had to sell a dog I like to visit there home before Hand and a few times after jut to make sure everything is going good I'm sure it's diff for people that sell breed dogs for a living

I have had plenty of help and plenty of hard times over the years I'm just tryin to help out where I can and I'm not on a use it anyway

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
topher40 wrote:Why should you give it away to the people that cant care for their animals in the first place. That is a core reason I dont sell dogs to people that try and "bleep" with me about the price. If you cant afford the dog then you cant afford to care/train the dog either. Not a bad idea though and I have helped lots of folks with their training and needs cause I like to.
I like to help anyone I can but I have no understanding at all of the statement if you can't afford to buy a dog you can't take care of it. Purchase is in one day while caring for one is spread over 10 or 15 years.
EZZY-
If you "bleep" with me on the price of a $ 500-1000 dog you probably cant afford to vet,feed,house,transport,train ect. For example how fast can you rack up a $1000 bill on equipment, or vets? One bad accident or illness away is how far. Someone that is going to piss and moan about the original purchase price wont have the money to take care of some emergency like this, lots of time even feed them. I would be curious to see how much spend in getting started in training their own with the cost of equipment.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:26 pm

I can tell you how much it cost me to start training, $2 as I recall is what the collar cost. That was the extent of my tools. I bought a check cord 15 years later and had a curry comb, brush, and nail clippers some where after I had the dog. First dogs were never to a vet's office but he stopped by and gave the rabies shot. Most everything I needed I made or found something laying around I could use. Took longer with more physical work but the dogs turned out well. The two dogs I have now are the only dogs over the 50 years that ever went to the field with an e-collar on or even knew what one was. I had one years ago and tried it a couple of times and then sold it to a friend. They weren't like they are now. Any how, I really think most of the elements that make up a good home for a dog has little to do with money. Money just makes it easier and quicker which in many instances is exactly opposite of what a pup needs.

Dogs that are going to grow up to be a young man's or young lady's companion in the home or in the field needs a whole lot of time, love and a little knowledge and all of those are cheap.

Ezzy

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Collar is spoken for maybe we can keep this thread goin and somebody else can pass on somethin they won't use

natel24

Post by natel24 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:03 pm

I think this a great idea that has gotten off topic, just because you would accept a "free" training tool to use and pass on does not at all mean you can't afford to care for a dog. Just because I would accept someone else's good hearted help does not mean my dogs eat scraps, I live in a dump and I am on welfare. My wife and I both have good jobs but we also have two young children, a mortgage etc. etc., so if it comes to buying a 300$ remote bird launcher I would have to think twice on that one. When I trained my first and only bird dog I borrowed alot of things from friends of friends who I barely knew that didn't want or wouldn't even accept any money for letting me borrow their stuff. Now I don't have much to lend out but if I did I would be more than happy too, and I wouldn't think any lesser of the guy asking for the item either.

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:39 pm

natel24 wrote:I think this a great idea that has gotten off topic, just because you would accept a "free" training tool to use and pass on does not at all mean you can't afford to care for a dog. Just because I would accept someone else's good hearted help does not mean my dogs eat scraps, I live in a dump and I am on welfare. My wife and I both have good jobs but we also have two young children, a mortgage etc. etc., so if it comes to buying a 300$ remote bird launcher I would have to think twice on that one. When I trained my first and only bird dog I borrowed alot of things from friends of friends who I barely knew that didn't want or wouldn't even accept any money for letting me borrow their stuff. Now I don't have much to lend out but if I did I would be more than happy too, and I wouldn't think any lesser of the guy asking for the item either.

/\ /\ /\ THIS +1

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Rakoprtr wrote:We'll nobody has told me I'm crazy or stupid yet so let's try this and see how it goes. up for grabs is a tri tronics 100 lr both batteries hold a decent charge comes with the case everything that originally came with it and a leather holster for the remote ill cover shipping anywhere conus it is an older model (precided the pro100) but it works fine would make a good back up collar for someone who travels more than a few hours to hunt let me know If ya want it u can text me for pics 870 329 4675 merry Christmas
I know a guy starting out that could use a e collar... kninebirddog@gmail.com can you email me you number and I will forward your info to him

Rakoprtr

Post by Rakoprtr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
Rakoprtr wrote:We'll nobody has told me I'm crazy or stupid yet so let's try this and see how it goes. up for grabs is a tri tronics 100 lr both batteries hold a decent charge comes with the case everything that originally came with it and a leather holster for the remote ill cover shipping anywhere conus it is an older model (precided the pro100) but it works fine would make a good back up collar for someone who travels more than a few hours to hunt let me know If ya want it u can text me for pics 870 329 4675 merry Christmas
I know a guy starting out that could use a e collar... kninebirddog@gmail.com can you email me you number and I will forward your info to him

It's already been spoken for (see post above) sorry

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Rakoprtr wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:

It's already been spoken for (see post above) sorry
I need a bigger screen on my phone

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:05 pm

natel24 wrote:I think this a great idea that has gotten off topic, just because you would accept a "free" training tool to use and pass on does not at all mean you can't afford to care for a dog. Just because I would accept someone else's good hearted help does not mean my dogs eat scraps, I live in a dump and I am on welfare. My wife and I both have good jobs but we also have two young children, a mortgage etc. etc., so if it comes to buying a 300$ remote bird launcher I would have to think twice on that one. When I trained my first and only bird dog I borrowed alot of things from friends of friends who I barely knew that didn't want or wouldn't even accept any money for letting me borrow their stuff. Now I don't have much to lend out but if I did I would be more than happy too, and I wouldn't think any lesser of the guy asking for the item either.
Well said. :)

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 pm

ezzy333 wrote: I like to help anyone I can.
Good as any opportunity to thank you for the several offer of homer pigeons. :D

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:08 am

Same here Ezzy. Thanks for the offer. Wish I could have made it by to meet you and get a few.

This is really a great idea.It would be meat to see it keep moving on.

Vanebecker

Post by Vanebecker » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:19 am

Id love a shock or tracking collar for when my pup gets a little older to help with training if anyone has one

jbl02a

Post by jbl02a » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm

As a new, first-time bird dog owner, I think this is a great idea. Lots of products that I would love to eventually invest in, but have to spread over time due to up front budgets. This would be awesome to help get new owners started until we can get our own gear and re-share.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 am

I like to help people out if I can but If I had to shell out $ for something I usually try to get something back rather then just give it away. I would however give something away if the cause was appropriate. As for Trying to get a new hunting pup for a more reasonable price then what the breeder wants I say nothing wrong with that. When I buy a car I don't just agree to the price the seller wants, I offer what I think its worth and see what happens. Dog breeders don't breed dogs to give them away for nothing, they are trying to make a few bucks with their hobby so why should anyone agree with the first price that is thrown at them. Its a matter of economics and doing business not affordability.

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:31 am

Used to be that we saw some young owner/handler that needed it and we gifted our experience and unneeded equipment...face to face....with the hope that when the gray hairs took over their pate, they would do the same.

Good idea but I'll continue to do that "mano a mano"....you don't know where stuff is going or coming from ("delete") on the internet.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 am

I think this is a great deal. I'm passing on my Smartworks DVD set to a young man on the site this week. I'm not asking for money - and I know I could sell the set, but I think he'll learn a lot from it and I'll ask him to pass it on when he's finished with it as well.

Thanks for starting this thread. :)

arutch

Post by arutch » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 am

RoostersMom wrote:I think this is a great deal. I'm passing on my Smartworks DVD set to a young man on the site this week. I'm not asking for money - and I know I could sell the set, but I think he'll learn a lot from it and I'll ask him to pass it on when he's finished with it as well.

Thanks for starting this thread. :)
I will be happy to pass them on, I take it you found them? :D

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:52 am

Yep,

Will get them in the mail to you either this weekend (if we go to town) or next week.

EG

jbonesky

Post by jbonesky » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:55 am

IMHO I think it's a good idea/ nice gesture. I find this to be a great way to help newbies, or even someone who is considering a certain type of aide to try something similar before dropping the cash on it. On a cycling forum I've been a member of for a few years people do this. I think the big thing is simply if your going to be a part of it don't be that guy that's sells the stuff. Also remember the pay it forward part, it's not just about free stuff. If you receive the generosity on here, when you upgrade or no longer use something pass it on. I think that includes selling something for dirt cheap. Also if you don't like the idea, you simply don't have to participate. I myself will plan to pass some things on once I get my pup and go through training aids upgrades, or what I get that I simply won't need.

As far as not being able to afford to care for a dog, if you truly cannot afford to care for one, no you don't need one. But for the cost of "luxury" training items I think it's a bit different. I'll use myself as an example, We are a working class family of 4. If we were not smart with our money and in steady careers I would not even be considering bringing a gun dog puppy into our family. I saved for a set amount I was willing to spend on a dog, I also have a little "savings" that I have set aside and will continue to add to for any emergencies that may arrive involving the 4 legged family member. This we also do for everything from vehicle repairs- loss of job. With that being said, I can very easily be able to feed a dog, buy treats, grooming needs etc. But when it comes to more costly training aids, I will have to weigh options/make decisions/ or even a bit of saving for the item. Plus some of my bumpers and small items I already have are hand-me-downs from my step dad. He told me to take them weather I used them or not, because 20+ years ago when he got his 1st duck dog an old man gave him a few items and lots of advice to get him started. Now he has 2 great labs and can afford to buy them whatever he feels like.

this is IMO. have a great day

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:17 am

I think that this is a great idea. I have two quail pens that someone could have. They are in central Indiana and I am not going to ship or deliver. One of them is a very nice Johnny house that I had built. It is on skids and can easily be pulled with a truck/tractor/ATV. It needs some repair, it was blown over in a severe storm, but I think it could be easily salvaged by someone a little handier than me. The other one is large, and I don't know if it can be moved easily, but if someone has a trailer and a couple of helpers, they can have it.

I see so many people that come on to this site and others like it that have their first puppy and really do not have a clue as to how to get started. I am not a professional trainer by any means but if someone lives in central Indiana and they would like me to take a look at where their puppy is at, and tell them what steps I would do next. I would be happy to do it. I am a pointer guy, I wouldn't be much help with flushers or retrievers.

PM me through this site if interested.