Parvo shot question

atothek

Parvo shot question

Post by atothek » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Dallas, my 13 week old gsp pup, just had his parvo and lepto shot. I live in a high dog traffic area and originally the vet mentioned that after the shot at 13 weeks he would be good to go outside, however after he gave the shot he changed his recommendation to waiting until he is 16 weeks old (after his next shot) before taking him out. The poor guy has been confined to our kitchen/dining room and our back patio, to keep him away from other animals. I was wondering what y'all think of the recommendations that I was given. I really want to get him out and let him explore and introduce him to some birds. If I wait until he is 16 will I be behind the curve? Seems as though a lot of folks get their dogs outside earlier than 13 weeks. Is that because the fields or yards they are in are separated from dogs with unknown vaccination records? I think I may be more excited for him to get out and explore than he is :) but I don't want to risk his health.
Thank you and sorry for my ignorance
Aaron

Birddog 307

Re: Parvo shot question

Post by Birddog 307 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Normally vets recommend 3 puppy shots. I take my pups out before they have had all there shots but am extremely careful where we go. I take them to wide open spaces where I would normally go hunting. I would never take a pup to a public place that has seen a lot of dogs or would I let my pups be around any unknown dogs. I see people wanting to show off their new 8 week old pups letting them run around public places and it makes my skin crawl. You might Google Parvo and read up on it.
Birddog 307

atothek

Post by atothek » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks birddog. We have been really careful so far, I just want to make sure I am not missing out with getting him introduced to birds, etc. I don't want to take any chances, waiting a few more weeks doesn't sound to bad, his health is my main concern.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:51 am

Your puppy has been to the vet several times at this point and you have walked around outside and into the house countless times at this point, so it is a good bet your puppy has been exposed to Parvo already. Even if your puppy did not get on the floor at the Vet's office your shoes did, and you brought Parvo home. When the puppy was with the breeder, people came to see the litter and brought Parvo with them. Chances are you went to a pet store to get supplies and a Christmas present for the puppy and brought Parvo home from the store.

I would relax about it and avoid obvious risk points like dog parks and Petco but get the puppy out in the open spaces and socializing with friends' dogs.

Parvo is everywhere and to think you can avoid it is illogical, even at home. Why some puppies get parvo and others don't IMO has nothing to do with vaccinations.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:47 am

When taking the puppy to the Vet, my Vet recommends not allowing the puppy on the ground or on the floor of the Vet's office.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:10 am

take him out and let him run where there isnt a lot of dog traffic, and you should be fine. If he has 2-3 shots in him now, then i would say his immunity is good. no way to say that definitively of course, but you cant keepem in a bubble.

atothek

Post by atothek » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 pm

We take him to the vet in his crate and only let him out on the table. @dogdr I couldn't agree more about getting him out of the bubble. I have a couple places in mind that are low on the dog traffic.
Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:14 pm

MY vet says fine after 2 shots walking on the sidewalk /around the block etc. , but not to let him sniff other dogs' feces. Walking until after the 3rd shot misses a lot of important socialization time.