Does neutering have negative affects?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Does neutering have negative affects?

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

Cj I guess the loss of those hormones has also affected your mind not just your physical being,but isn't that what we are talking about (needing those hormones)?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 pm

cjhills wrote:Spaying is the term for removing animals reproductive system, male or female. No confusion.
I sure hope you meant neutering and not spaying.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:46 pm

I have heard of a spayed heifer but it was because of a problem. Heifers are not spayed since there is no advantage and just think of the cost. Steers do get bigger if you let them mature. That is what the big teams of oxen were, and they were big. Roosters that are neutered when little become what we call capons and get very large and have the characteristics of a hen including setting on eggs and raising the brood when allowed to.

I personally have seen little difference in a neutered male dog if done after maturity, but done young some show considerable differences and some not so much. Just do not see a reason for early neutering of either sex when responsible ownership is involved. Now if you plan on a litter so you can take them to town and dump them it would probably be good to neuter them first.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 pm

cjhills wrote:
NLsetter wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Your vet makes money off of spay and neutering dogs. If you leave the office chances are she won't get you back unless you agree with her and schedule an appointment it reminder...
They also make money off the medical issues associated with a early spay or neuter. Common sense would indicate that taking all sex hormones from a young animal or human will affect development. Most of the impact is related to bone growth and development.
If you really believe that your vet neuters dogs so they can make money later and she won't allow you to disagree with her you probably should change vets.
Consider this, 4 million dogs are euthanized annually in the USA. That makes a pretty good case for neutering.
Why is this not a issue in horses, cattle and most all other livestock.................Cj
Are you aware that shelters especially in the NE of this country are importing pups so they have something to sell? Makes one wonder but is easy to explain. Back several years ago there was an overpopulation of unwanted puppies but the neutering ads have worked well and the results are that we now have to import.

Ezzy

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 pm

rinker wrote:'spayed heifers'

I'm not a farmer but have live among them my whole life. I have never heard of a spayed cow.
Go to a feeder cattle auction and you will see a lot of them.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 pm

JKP wrote:
Yes...it will make your wallet lighter. Otherwise, if you are responsible owner, have proper containment for your dog, and know where your dog is at all times, there is absolutely no reason to neuter a male dog. The statistical health advantages are minimal. The biggest reason seems to be to succumb to the opinion of many vets who believe dog owners to be a bunch of irresponsible louts whose unattended dogs will populate the earth with unwanted canines. All for now...I have to go turn my highly trained dog in which i have invested $1000s of dollars out for the night....

I think JKP has put put up a quite rational post. It is worth re-reading.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:48 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
cjhills wrote:Spaying is the term for removing animals reproductive system, male or female. No confusion.
I sure hope you meant neutering and not spaying.
you are right I did mean neutering.
Also if you will search spaying heifers you will find that they are routinely spayed before going into feed lots to keep them from coming into heat and disrupting the whole pen that they are in. Also they can be fed in the same pen as steers. It is done by removing the ovaries and is inexpensive. Go to a feeder cattle auction and you will see many spayed heifers. So you may have learn something today.
I am not aware of dogs being imported. ....................Cj

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Guess I am having problems with the whole discussion. To me, the only reason you neuter a dog is so you can let it roam and not worry. Do we have that many folks here for whom that is a concern? I have had male dogs for 45 years and never have they come close to a female in heat unless it was on purpose. How many of the 4 million unwanted dogs are the serious, dedicated or otherwise "invested" hunting dog owners responsible for?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:38 pm

I have never heard of a spayed cow.
They dont spay them, if they do not take (get pregnant) they go off to the sale barn and eventually the stores you buy meat from, not meat or butcher shops, stores like wal mart.

Steers do not get as big as the bull, they get sent off to slaughter before that happens, the removal makes the meat more palaptable like pigs etc. Horses should be and for the most part gelded, unless it has a great bloodline. Stud hosses are hard to handle and can be a problem.

So where does the dog fit in? He is yours, do with him as you wish.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Probably not the majority....but I know I have seen several posts on here and on other forums I frequent with "droppers" or "unplanned" litters or any collection of mixed breeds. I think most on here are responsible, but it's not a sin to want to spay or neuter your dog either. If you do....read the literature and make an informed decision about when to do it. If you choose not to, then be responsible and don't be making pups that aren't improving the breed.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Cj I guess the loss of those hormones has also affected your mind not just your physical being,but isn't that what we are talking about (needing those hormones)?
Thanks for Your opinion. What do you know about my mind or my physical being .....................Cj

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:13 pm

:lol: Your the one that said you didn't understand what my post meant!! I really could care less!! :roll:

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:17 pm

markj wrote:
I have never heard of a spayed cow.
They dont spay them, if they do not take (get pregnant) they go off to the sale barn and eventually the stores you buy meat from, not meat or butcher shops, stores like wal mart.

Steers do not get as big as the bull, they get sent off to slaughter before that happens, the removal makes the meat more palaptable like pigs etc. Horses should be and for the most part gelded, unless it has a great bloodline. Stud hosses are hard to handle and can be a problem.

So where does the dog fit in? He is yours, do with him as you wish.
go to a feeder cattle auction and you will see hundreds of spayed heifers....................Cj

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Don't mean to sound like an @$$ but who cares? He's asking about neutering dogs not spaying heifers. Way off base.

Jere

Post by Jere » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 am

Yes, it can. We spayed our female Lab after her litter was gone. She developed urinary incontinence - which happens in some % of cases.

We castrated one of her sons at about nine months. He visibly lost muscle mass in his hind legs. This was not serious, IMO, but could be in a high performance animal.

They both developed lymphoma in old age.

There is a lot of information on the 'net. Use google and read the published papers which attempt to spell out the statistics impartially.

When I did that several years ago I found a bunch of stuff written by folks clearly biased towards the population control philosophy. They seemed pretty easy to spot.

Jere

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Don't mean to sound like an @$$ but who cares? He's asking about neutering dogs not spaying heifers. Way off base.
You are right. Sorry I let emotions and insult side track the Op's question it won't happen again...............Cj

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:51 am

go to a feeder cattle auction and you will see hundreds of spayed heifers....................
Well I do go to these, it is where I get my calfs. Never saw a "Spayed heifer" a heifer is a cow that hasnt had a offspring, when they do not get pregnant after exposure to a bull, they go to the auction then to the dinner plate. Never heard of any vet spaying a heifer or any other cow, steers get neutered, cost like 35.00 at the auction yard vet.

Denison is having a good one saturday, I may go to that one if you wish to tag along :) I will buy coffee.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 am

OK so I did a google.

http://beefmagazine.com/cattle-genetics ... akes-sense

seems they do spay heifers mainly for the same reason the steer is neutered, hormones. Read it and see if it fits for your dog or not. The reasoning I mean.

Frankug

Post by Frankug » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm

I neuter males, but lean my dogs towards females anyway. Meaning I prefer females, "bitches". I have yet to notice a negative side effect. I do it at appropriate time of course. I have also heard dozens say that it has negative, less drive, they get fat, etc. I tend to put all that in my country talk file. "Rubbish". It works for the amount of dogs I have (14). I tend not to spay, just seems more invasive and expensive. Heard all vets tell me spaying cuts down on tumors in females though. I have one dog in tact, but dreading him coming of age. Nine females to worry him to death. Aaah! Will have to work to keep em separated! I tend to prefer females for their rapport with a male trainer (myself). The males spend too much of their time peeing on stuff and not hunting. It's irritating. This does not apply to all breeds though. Just ones I keep myself. My parents have English pointers, and I tend to like a male one of these. I have seen intentional and unintentional neutering and seen no difference in hunt ability. It depends on what you believe as to what you will see.

Jere

Post by Jere » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:10 am

Frankug wrote:...It depends on what you believe as to what you will see.
Speak for yourself.

jere