Does neutering have negative affects?

arutch

Post by arutch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi a lot of you regular GDF users already know I am getting 2 lab puppies on Friday that are 8 weeks Monday. I know it's early to be asking but I've heard about neutering changing the behavior or drive for dogs. Anyone have any information. Do you spay or neuter your hunting dogs? I don't really want to but my dad wants to when the time comes. Does it have negative effects? If so any info that could change his mind or mine?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Does neutering have negative affects?

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Too early it does, let them mature intact.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTerm ... InDogs.pdf

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Yes it does and I don't castrate males. I spay mature females.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:47 pm

I asked my vet her opinion. She is very experienced with sporting dogs as duck hunting in my area is huge and said that most of the research out there against spaying/neutering too early is skewed. Her exact words were, "complete rubbish". Just like everything else, opinions and professionally reviewed research can be found for either side. If I had a male I would have no problem waiting. However, I have a 5 month old Brittany who is getting spayed next month. I have too many wandering dogs in my area to be able to trust her outside while in season. Do what you feel comfortable with and listen to your vet.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:59 pm

Your vet makes money off of spay and neutering dogs. If you leave the office chances are she won't get you back unless you agree with her and schedule an appointment it reminder...

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:10 pm

ultracarry wrote:Your vet makes money off of spay and neutering dogs. If you leave the office chances are she won't get you back unless you agree with her and schedule an appointment it reminder...
If I got that feeling from my vet, she wouldn't be my vet anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 pm

You got yours fixed?

arutch

Post by arutch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 pm

ultracarry wrote:You got yours fixed?
Are you asking me?

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:52 pm

We don't neuter unless there is a phyical problem like a twisted testicle bad hips or bites etc..

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:01 pm

spaying is more about personal responsibility than anything.....and we know how the masses are, irresponsible for the most part,

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 pm

arutch wrote:
Are you asking me?
That was for JBWard

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:01 am

jbwardfamily wrote:I asked my vet her opinion. She is very experienced with sporting dogs as duck hunting in my area is huge and said that most of the research out there against spaying/neutering too early is skewed. Her exact words were, "complete rubbish". Just like everything else, opinions and professionally reviewed research can be found for either side. If I had a male I would have no problem waiting. However, I have a 5 month old Brittany who is getting spayed next month. I have too many wandering dogs in my area to be able to trust her outside while in season. Do what you feel comfortable with and listen to your vet.

You may want to check the references at the end of the article I posted and tell us what your vet uses to qualify her statement.

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 am

ultracarry wrote:
arutch wrote:
Are you asking me?
That was for JBWard
Next month. I've been with this vet a long time and trust her opinion. I had an English Pointer a number of years ago that we neutered at 6 months and it didn't slow him down a bit.

halt3rtop

Post by halt3rtop » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 am

i have a 2 yr old GSP in tact. and i've been on the fencepost for quite some time in regards to this. i've asked a few vets, and my vet wasn't pushy towards the "yes you need to" route. but, in speaking with all the guys that hunt for pheasant where i hunt, every dog is in tact and some guys have had neutered dogs that have had changed dispositions afterwards. my dog is a couch potato as it is, inside the house he simply lays there and he'll let you do pretty much anything to him. pull his ears, poke his nose...as soon as you put his collar on, he knows it's work time, and his nose hits the ground. even in the car, it's like my dog has an off switch. i don't crate him inside of the vehicle, he simply sits in the back seat, looks around for maybe 3 minutes, then he's literally out for hours until we reach our destination. i've mentioned before, i lucked out with my dog,...it's not him i'm worried about, it's other dogs that don't like him much, as they are neutered. my parents own a horse of a shepard, at 130lbs (i'm being generous here), bullet had my parents dog run him. he's never "attacked" any other dogs, but he did stand his ground to my parents dog. he's also been attacked by another male GSP, ironically from the same kennel, but buddy's dog was 3 yrs old, bullet a mere 8 months old. buddy's dog put holes in mine...never offered to give me his number or anything, but he would not let go of bullet and shook him like a pitbull on a ragdoll. since a young age, i took him everywhere for socialization, bass pro shops where other dogs can be found, parties where there were other animals and lots of people, and i've also got 2 cats in the house with him. heck, take him to the beer store here in ontario, they give the dog treats at the counter. he loves it. you need to socialize the dog from a young age, and much like people, each critter has their own attitude and character right from the get go. some have a bad attitude since being born, some are like my dog and just mellow. bullet loves everyone and loves all other dogs. his best friend is timber, an american black lab that has more energy than the energizer bunny on overdrive, he is in tact as well, and they wrestle and play with each other, chasing each other across the property. even at the field for pheasant, i've had a few older male dogs approach him, and growl. bullet's tail goes a billion miles an hour, as all he wants to do is play. but, call him to heel, there he is, and right at my side. my buddy's first GSP many years ago he never got neutered, none of his dogs were. he needed to be put down i believe at age 10 or so due to testicular cancer. cancer, enlarged prostates, and other issues can come about as the dog ages, but until an issue arises that is of major concern to me, i think he will remain in tact. and c'mon,....i mean, guys, seriously, if you had your giggly bits removed, wouldn't you lose motivation to do some of the things that you enjoy doing? ;)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:25 am

I'm not against spay/neuter but I also don't think it should be done before they are fully mature (most dogs that means around 2 years old). I would never own an intact female for very long and I had mine done as soon as she was finished growing. My ECS I do not plan on neutering at all. Males are easy to live with intact, females bleeding all over the hardwood are not.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:27 am

FWIW, I currently have or have had 16 dogs. All except for one has been spayed or neutered. I have seen absolutely no change in hunting desire (in fact the opposite with a few of the males - they concentrate on birds now, not females in heat). I have been learning more about neutering though - and will think hard about whether to neuter the male pointer pup next year or not. Females - absolutely YES. Males - I'm on the fence now. Dogs that get fat after neutering are a people problem, not a dog problem - it's not rocket science, feed them less, exercise them more.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:02 am

Before I neuter one of my dogs, I ask myself; at what age would I like to be neutered! :?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 am

DonF wrote:Before I neuter one of my dogs, I ask myself; at what age would I like to be neutered! :?
Now Don, do you also ask yourself if you'd really want to wear a shock collar before you put one on the pups? Or ask if you'd like to live in a box with hay in it? Or ask yourself if you'd want to carry all those quail around in your mouth?

Don't be anthropomorphizing these pups.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:04 am

jbwardfamily wrote:
Next month. I've been with this vet a long time and trust her opinion. I had an English Pointer a number of years ago that we neutered at 6 months and it didn't slow him down a bit.
Read the article, the issue isn't about slowing them down.....

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 am

jbwardfamily wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Your vet makes money off of spay and neutering dogs. If you leave the office chances are she won't get you back unless you agree with her and schedule an appointment it reminder...
If I got that feeling from my vet, she wouldn't be my vet anymore.

Your vet legitimately truly believes that neutering is the way, as that's what she's been taught to believe in vet school and by unthinking animal rights people. She is wrong, barring medical reasons.

My brother is a vet, and I once heard him advise the owners of a Pug puppy to neuter it "to prevent future behavioral problems". He wasn't precisely increasing profits; he believes it, much as various political fanatics truly believe what they say. But you shouldn't.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 am

arutch wrote:Does it have negative effects?
I can't think of even one positive effect of neutering a male dog :| What are you trying to prevent/cure/encourage?

arutch

Post by arutch » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:03 pm

shags wrote: What are you trying to prevent/cure/encourage?
I'm trying to prevent my dad wanting to get them neutered because of these negative effects so I'm trying to get info to change his mind

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Let's remember that some people --ladies especially--are actually afraid of larger male dogs and distrust their ability to train one properly. They think neutering them will compensate for these flaws in their character and training ability. They are wrong.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:51 pm

shags wrote:
arutch wrote:Does it have negative effects?
I can't think of even one positive effect of neutering a male dog :| What are you trying to prevent/cure/encourage?
a recent example from my experience . NOt saying it is always the answer. JRT (8 months) marking in the house, especially on the other dogs' crates. Had to try something. Had him neutered a couple weeks ago . No more marking. Not a scientific study, but worth it for me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Steve007 wrote:Let's remember that some people --ladies especially--are actually afraid of larger male dogs and distrust their ability to train one properly. They think neutering them will compensate for these flaws in their character and training ability. They are wrong.
An example of a huge generalization with no evidence. :) Oh please. We are smarter than that Sir.

Mulga

Post by Mulga » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 pm

RoostersMom wrote:
DonF wrote:Before I neuter one of my dogs, I ask myself; at what age would I like to be neutered! :?
Now Don, do you also ask yourself if you'd really want to wear a shock collar before you put one on the pups? Or ask if you'd like to live in a box with hay in it? Or ask yourself if you'd want to carry all those quail around in your mouth?

Well said!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:47 pm

A female out of my last litter was sold with a limited pedigree because of a slight bite problem. She was spayed at 6 months and she remains a nice dog but has the typical cottony coat of a female spayed too young and just didn't develop as she should have. But once it is done, it is done.

Ezzy

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Sharon wrote:
Steve007 wrote:Let's remember that some people --ladies especially--are actually afraid of larger male dogs and distrust their ability to train one properly. They think neutering them will compensate for these flaws in their character and training ability. They are wrong.
An example of a huge generalization with no evidence. :) Oh please. We are smarter than that Sir.

What is it about the word "some" that confuses you? Were you to google the word combined with "definition", that might bring some clarity of understanding. So to speak.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 pm

OUCH - I take umbrage at that assault on women everywhere. I do not know of one woman that has neutered a dog because she is afraid of larger male dogs and the ladies I know sure don't seem to be having a problem with training one properly.

Ohhh wait, as John Wayne says in McClintock....."I won't, I won't....."

I won't throw the first stone at men who are so insecure in their masculinity that they won't consider neutering a dog. :twisted: And it's not because they've read the research and truly have an informed opinion about why they won't neuter - it comes down to not wanting to "loose the boys." I find it interesting that most horse people I know have no problem gelding a stud - they actually believe it makes the animal easier to handle. Those same folks will balk at neutering a dog - claiming there is no evidence of reduced aggression or roaming (which I think is untrue - less testosterone has got to result in some changes).
Last edited by RoostersMom on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Sharon wrote:

What is it about the word "some" that confuses you? Were you to google the word combined with "definition", that might bring some clarity of understanding. So to speak.
Oh it's not the word"some" . It's the words "ladies"especially". :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm

The problem with all the research is it is aimed at proving that there is a problem with spaying, Not if there is a problem. I think it is highly likely that Early spaying may cause some issues. But the fact is there are way to many dogs and cats in this country and the best way to control them is spaying them. Almost all of my puppies are spayed, most earlier than I like, but I don't control that.
The research does not consider the effect of unwanted pregnancies or males hit by cars or shot when a bitch comes into heat in the neighborhood. Most people should spay their dogs. It just works better that way. I would go with around a year on the females and 18 months on the males.
I am on the ladies side on the issue of spaying because they are afraid of the dog. That is just silly.
Most vets recommend spaying because there are a lot less issues with spayed dogs than intact not because it is their cash cow.
There may be a higher incidence of some cancers that are quite rare. But who really knows. The research is skewed at best.
There are millions of spayed dogs out there that are enjoying long happy lifes. That says more than all the funny research by people trying to master degree..............Cj

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:09 pm

RoostersMom wrote:

My dogs sleep in bed with me! Don't tell anyone.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

cjhills wrote:The problem with all the research is it is aimed at proving that there is a problem with spaying, Not if there is a problem. I think it is highly likely that Early spaying may cause some issues. But the fact is there are way to many dogs and cats in this country and the best way to control them is spaying them. Almost all of my puppies are spayed, most earlier than I like, but I don't control that.
The research does not consider the effect of unwanted pregnancies or males hit by cars or shot when a bitch comes into heat in the neighborhood. Most people should spay their dogs. It just works better that way. I would go with around a year on the females and 18 months on the males.
I am on the ladies side on the issue of spaying because they are afraid of the dog. That is just silly.
Most vets recommend spaying because there are a lot less issues with spayed dogs than intact not because it is their cash cow.
There may be a higher incidence of some cancers that are quite rare. But who really knows. The research is skewed at best.
There are millions of spayed dogs out there that are enjoying long happy lifes. That says more than all the funny research by people trying to master degree..............Cj

You are confusing spaying with neutering male dogs.That wasn't the original question, nor do my quite accurate comments or those of most others on this thread address that subject. They are two different topics with two different answers. Rooster'smom's observations concern ladies who are dog people. Most ladies are decidedly not.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Now Steve,

This is decidedly off topic, but I can't agree that most ladies aren't dog people.

There are far more women dog trainers in the U.S. than there are men trainers. I guess those ladies aren't dog people? Maybe in the birddog training field there are more men (because of the hunting aspect likely) - but women far outnumber men in most other dog training venues (the exception being protection/detection).

I know many women hunters that train their own dogs - and they are excellent dog trainers and conservationists. Yes, there are fewer of them than men in the same field, but that's because it wasn't always an accepted thing for women to do.

arutch

Post by arutch » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:07 pm

RoostersMom wrote:
I know many women hunters that train their own dogs - and they are excellent dog trainers and conservationists. Yes, there are fewer of them than men in the same field, but that's because it wasn't always an accepted thing for women to do.
Well said!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:19 am

Spaying is the term for removing animals reproductive system, male or female. No confusion.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 am

cjhills wrote:Spaying is the term for removing animals reproductive system, male or female. No confusion.

On-line free dictionary:
spay (sp)
tr.v. spayed, spay·ing, spays
To remove surgically the ovaries of (an animal).

Merriam-Webster dictionary:

spay transitive verb \ˈspā, ÷ ˈspād\ : to remove the sex organs of (a female animal) : to make (a female animal) unable to have babies

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Never bothered me a bit :) neutering is for boys cause they got outies, spaying for gals cause they are innies. Simple enough altho old timers may say it differently, like Dad always saying a new born horse is a colt regardless of its sex.

Spay or neuter, what ever, if it is what you want, the animal is a "possesion" to do with as you wish. Be humaine tho, dont neut a dog like I neut a piggie, cut the sack, grab the little testies and pull till nothing comes out. Bucket them and take all to Dad to eat... usually do 100 or more in an afternoon....

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Yes...it will make your wallet lighter. Otherwise, if you are responsible owner, have proper containment for your dog, and know where your dog is at all times, there is absolutely no reason to neuter a male dog. The statistical health advantages are minimal. The biggest reason seems to be to succumb to the opinion of many vets who believe dog owners to be a bunch of irresponsible louts whose unattended dogs will populate the earth with unwanted canines. All for now...I have to go turn my highly trained dog in which i have invested $1000s of dollars out for the night....

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:39 am

They also make money off the medical issues associated with a early spay or neuter. Common sense would indicate that taking all sex hormones from a young animal or human will affect development. Most of the impact is related to bone growth and development.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:07 am

NLsetter wrote:
They also make money off the medical issues associated with a early spay or neuter. Common sense would indicate that taking all sex hormones from a young animal or human will affect development. Most of the impact is related to bone growth and development.
If you really believe that your vet neuters dogs so they can make money later and she won't allow you to disagree with her you probably should change vets.
Consider this, 4 million dogs are euthanized annually in the USA. That makes a pretty good case for neutering.
Why is this not a issue in horses, cattle and most all other livestock.................Cj

arutch

Post by arutch » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 am

Consider this, 4 million dogs are euthanized annually in the USA. That makes a pretty good case for neutering.
Why is this not a issue in horses, cattle and most all other livestock.................Cj
Well I don't know about you but I never see livestock rummaging through trash and roaming streets and cities. Cattle and livestock have strict living needs and can't survive places dogs do. That's why it's not an issue.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 am

cjhills wrote: Consider this, 4 million dogs are euthanized annually in the USA. That makes a pretty good case for neutering.
Maybe because some of the same idiots who allow their dogs to randomly breed can't keep horses and livestock in the city or burbs? Betcha if they could, they would 8)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:36 am

Sorry,
I didn't Mean Why aren't the other livestock euthanized. I meant why don't the have the same health issues..................Cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am

cjhills wrote:
NLsetter wrote:
If you really believe that your vet neuters dogs so they can make money later and she won't allow you to disagree with her you probably should change vets.

You lost me at the comparison to horses and cattle. Most male horses are gelded. There is an old saying I' told... a good stallion makes a great gelding. And yes... there is a HUGE problem with unwanted horses in some areas of the country which is exacerbated by anti animal groups like HSUS and PETA in general and in particular by things like their lobbying to close slaughter facilities for unwanted equines.

As far as cattle are concerned, most male calves become veal fairly shortly after they are born. That is certainly true of Holsteins or any other breed that is predominantly used for milk production. Intact male Holsteins are simply not needed in any significant numbers, so they are become food. Most dairy farmers use artificial insemination of selected, proven studs to continually imporove their herds. Second, most cattle are kept for one of two purposes...milk or meat production and they are NOT kept as pets.

Dairy farming and cattle ranching is the business of raising animals for milk or meat. The animals are much more of a commodity and business asset than pets.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 am

Maybe I can make this easier. Why don't male horses gelded at a young age have the same health issues as dogs?
I realize most domestic animals kept for meat don't live to a ripe old age. Most calves don't go for veal and the feed lots are full of 2+ yearold Holstien steers and spayed heifers that don't seem to be any taller than the ones that aren't neutered.
Chances are the horse you ride at field trials was gelded before he was to years old and horses growth plates close much later than dogs close.
cj

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:48 am

cjhills wrote:Maybe I can make this easier. Why don't male horses gelded at a young age have the same health issues as dogs?
I realize most domestic animals kept for meat don't live to a ripe old age. Most calves don't go for veal and the feed lots are full of 2+ yearold Holstien steers and spayed heifers that don't seem to be any taller than the ones that aren't neutered.
Chances are the horse you ride at field trials was gelded before he was to years old and horses growth plates close much later than dogs close.
cj
I had several friends that were in the dairy business. Admittedly that was some years ago. The male calves were raised and sold for veal, by every single farmer. One farmer kept ONE breeding bull at a time, until it was 18 moths old and then it was sent to slaughter. The others kept ZERO intact male bovines, and only one or two(at any one time) as steers for family consumption. Any non producing cows were sent to slaughter as well.

In all the years I knew these folks, only one cow was actually buried on the land. This cow was the foundation animal of their herd and they felt it did so much for them that it deserved better than to be turned into dogfood. The rest went to slaughter.

I am not a biologist, but I suspect there may be some significant physiological differences between herbivores(cows and horses) and carnivores(dogs) that may preclude comparisons.

RayG

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 am

Mr Hills since you want to start comparing dogs to other species how bout this ,When a man reaches his 40s he starts loosing testosterone or is that BS to? His desire & capabilities start to decline,he looses muscle mass starts gaining fat.has less energy,etc This is all just the beginning of old age!

When he reaches puberty are their any changes I know I posted this kinda backwards but I'm past 40 by a few yrs & it on my mind more then being a teenager again cause that's not going to happen :x

I think you just solved the over population of the world fix all boys & girls before they become teenagers :idea: :idea: That would pretty much cure everything in time wouldn't it?? :roll:

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Mr Hills since you want to start comparing dogs to other species how bout this ,When a man reaches his 40s he starts loosing testosterone or is that BS to? His desire & capabilities start to decline,he looses muscle mass starts gaining fat.has less energy,etc This is all just the beginning of old age!

When he reaches puberty are their any changes I know I posted this kinda backwards but I'm past 40 by a few yrs & it on my mind more then being a teenager again cause that's not going to happen :x

I think you just solved the over population of the world fix all boys & girls before they become teenagers :idea: :idea: That would pretty much cure everything in time wouldn't it?? :roll:
I guess that means something. I just don't know what.....................cj

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:20 pm

'spayed heifers'

I'm not a farmer but have live among them my whole life. I have never heard of a spayed cow.