"Fetch" vs. "Back"

hkzaran

"Fetch" vs. "Back"

Post by hkzaran » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 pm

I was wondering if there is any difference between the command "fetch" and "back." One training book that I have uses "back" until force fetching, and then it uses "fetch." Is there really any difference or is it just personal preference?

Lucky Dog

Re: "Fetch" vs. "Back"

Post by Lucky Dog » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:51 pm

I suppose it is personal preference, you could use any word you want.

I always used to dogs name to send on a retrieve and back was used while giving hand signals and I had him in a sit. A straight up arm with the back command would send him farther out.

I could have just as easily used the word petunia. :D

Gooseman07

"Fetch" vs. "Back"

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:27 pm

I think it's mainly for the handler to keep you consistent in what you want the dog to do. I use the name for a mark and back for a blind. I also used fetch through FF but transitioned to back when I got to that stage of the game.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:04 pm

For me "back" is command to run a straight line on an unmarked bird.
I use "fetch" when I point at something and want the dog to pick it up bring it to me, ie. decoy, drill motor, trash in yard, dropped bird, etc.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 am

birdshot wrote:For me "back" is command to run a straight line on an unmarked bird.
I use "fetch" when I point at something and want the dog to pick it up bring it to me, ie. decoy, drill motor, trash in yard, dropped bird, etc.
+1. Back is used strictly for blind retrieves. When you say "fetch" that is a pressure command and the dog better get something in his mouth and quickly. Fetch is only used when you know the location of the object. With "Back" the dog is directed to the object with whistle and hand signal.

If you used fetch for a blind retrieve and the dog didn't find the blind, your force training would have been waisted because "fetch" would lose it's importance and impact.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
birdshot wrote:For me "back" is command to run a straight line on an unmarked bird.
+1. Back is used strictly for blind retrieves. When you say "fetch" that is a pressure command and the dog better get something in his mouth and quickly. Fetch is only used when you know the location of the object. With "Back" the dog is directed to the object with whistle and hand signal.

If you used fetch for a blind retrieve and the dog didn't find the blind, your force training would have been waisted because "fetch" would lose it's importance and impact.
This is the philosophy I was taught and I used it when I trained my retrievers.

hkzaran

Post by hkzaran » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:44 pm

So, I am not force fetching my dog yet; he's not quite there in his training. If I want to do blind retrieves with him (which would probably be a good idea if I want him mainly for hunting) I should be using "back" or at least a separate command from "fetch" at this point when I am working with him?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:58 am

LOL this is what I do as well. And for a marked retrieve I just say his name. Back to me means get moving there's something down out there where I am pointing you, trust me.