Brucellosis test

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Brucellosis test

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Given the fact that there has not been a case of canine Brucellosis in Mn. in thirty years, is Brucellosis testing really necessary..............Cj

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Brucellosis test

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I personally feel that there is a good reason it is rare. If both dogs are my own I probably would not worry about it. But if my dog goes to a dog that is not mine, and has been who knows where, with who knows who, why take a risk ruining an entire breeding career. I'd rather know for sure even if the chances are very very low.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes it is necessary IMO. I would not want to risk my stud/and or my entire kennel on a quick easy test.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:07 pm

We will not breed with out both male and female being tested for brucellosis. That includes when we pair our own together.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Ok so I'm asking how many times have you chosen a stud dog & had your female tested for Bruce & then been shown the test results of the stud dog??

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Ok so I'm asking how many times have you chosen a stud dog & had your female tested for Bruce & then been shown the test results of the stud dog??
Every time I breed one of my bitches to a outside stud. Or else it don't happen. I guess the fact that it would put you out of business makes it worth it.
Another question. How often on a stud dog.........................Cj

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Cj I have never seen the results on a stud dog but like you said would think it would be worth it & I have bred to some of the top stud dogs in the country.GSPS & Dobes when we owned & showed them.
Now your question how often & just remember some big time stud dogs CAN be bred to more then 1 female in a day!! This is why some don't do any live cover breedings.

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:41 pm

For everyone saying they most have testing to breed how recent does the testing need to be for you to accept it?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:49 pm

For females it must be up to date like since the female that is to be bred came in season. Studs??

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 pm

I am not really a breeder but I do have a litter of puppies every few years. I have bred to the biggest name most popular E Pointer studs in the country. I have never been asked about a brucellosis test.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:47 pm

I am shipping 6 straws of Semen from my dog Trey to South Africa. It is required by South Africa for any semen to be shipped in by a canine. This the first time I have heard of male being tested. I would never having a female bred to Trey without being tested for brucellosis.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Over the years hunting in ND, NY, Canada, etc...I have run into trucks from all over North America with dogs that probably are from Brucellosis areas. I have never been able to get my dogs from investigating the secretions of other dogs.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Brooks Carmichael wrote: This the first time I have heard of male being tested.
Not being a smart azz, males get VD too.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Cost is almost nothing for this test, so why not?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19 pm

$80 is not a fortune but it's not nothing either!! It all adds up tests,stud fees,travel expenses,maybe vet bills & then your supposed to train all the pups & sell them for $500.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:41 pm

We require tests on all females with in the last 30 days that come into our kennel for breeding and test our stud dog too. We require it of outside males we use also. It only cost us $30-35.00 here, simple blood draw.

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm

If you have a outside stud come in that was tested a year ago would that be ok?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah simple blood draw plus office visit plus physical,nothing is simple here plus it goes out to lab & takes about 3 days to get results. $80 at the 2 different vets I've used.
Vets seems to be a booming business here 2 new vets opened with in 5 miles of my house with in the last year & built brand new office buildings costing 1/4 million dollars or more.
We have 4 vets on a 5 mile stretch of highway 2 of the brand new the other with in the last 10 yrs & he gave 1/4 million for the farm land it sets on the tore down the big 3 story farm house & built an office kennels,training center p-lus a couple buildings to sell supplies.My vet I've used for over 25 yrs sets about in the middle of this strtch in an old farm house,he lives upstairs.He is the one I trust & use but he has office hrs only & don't open for any emergencies.
God for bid emergencies you are in their mercy!!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Quailcommando wrote:If you have a outside stud come in that was tested a year ago would that be ok?
If you're really worried about Brucellosis, then year old results would be meaningless to me. As JKP mentioned, this is not just an STD. Just think of all the potential encounters a dog could have within a year, given how easily it can be transmitted. I believe I paid $35 for my female, but I'd have to check.

Transmission
B. canis occurs in the fetus, placenta, fetal fluids and vaginal discharge after an abortion or stillbirth. It can persist in vaginal discharges for several weeks after an abortion. It is also shed in normal vaginal secretions, particularly during estrus, as well as in milk. High concentrations of B. canis may be found in semen for weeks or months after infection, and intermittent shedding of smaller quantities can occur for years. B. canis is also shed in urine, and low concentrations of bacteria may be excreted in saliva, nasal and ocular secretions, and feces.

In dogs, B. canis primarily enters the body by ingestion and through the genital, oronasal and conjunctival mucosa, but transmission through broken skin may also be possible. Most cases are thought to be acquired by venereal transmission or by contact with the fetus and fetal membranes after abortions and stillbirths. Puppies can be infected in utero, and may remain persistently infected even if they appear normal. Nursing puppies can be infected from milk, but the importance of this route is controversial. Other potential sources of infection include blood transfusions and contaminated syringes.

B. canis can be spread on fomites. In conditions of high humidity, low temperatures and no sunlight, Brucella spp. can remain viable for several months in water, aborted fetuses, feces, equipment and clothing. Brucella species can withstand drying, particularly when organic material is present, and can survive in dust and soil. Survival is longer when the temperature is low, particularly when it is below freezing.
http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets ... _canis.pdf

Quailcommando

Post by Quailcommando » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:26 pm

wems2371 wrote:
Quailcommando wrote:If you have a outside stud come in that was tested a year ago would that be ok?
If you're really worried about Brucellosis, then year old results would be meaningless to me. As JKP mentioned, this is not just an STD. Just think of all the possible encounters a dog could have within a year. I believe I paid $35 for my female, but I'd have to check.

Transmission
B. canis occurs in the fetus, placenta, fetal fluids and vaginal discharge after an abortion or stillbirth. It can persist in vaginal discharges for several weeks after an abortion. It is also shed in normal vaginal secretions, particularly during estrus, as well as in milk. High concentrations of B. canis may be found in semen for weeks or months after infection, and intermittent shedding of smaller quantities can occur for years. B. canis is also shed in urine, and low concentrations of bacteria may be excreted in saliva, nasal and ocular secretions, and fe
In dogs, B. canis primarily enters the body by ingestion and through the genital, oronasal and conjunctival mucosa, but transmission through broken skin may also be possible. Most cases are thought to be acquired by venereal transmission or by contact with the fetus and fetal membranes after abortions and stillbirths. Puppies can be infected in utero, and may remain persistently infected even if they appear normal. Nursing puppies can be infected from milk, but the importance of this route is controversial. Other potential sources of infection include blood transfusions and contaminated syringes.

B. canis can be spread on fomites. In conditions of high humidity, low temperatures and no sunlight, Brucella spp. can remain viable for several months in water, aborted fetuses, feces, equipment and clothing. Brucella species can withstand drying, particularly when organic material is present, and can survive in dust and soil. Survival is longer when the temperature is low, particularly when it is below freezing.
http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets ... _canis.pdf
That's my point if your really that worried about it the stud should be tested and results within a couple days of the breeding. If not what's the point! My question is how many that claim they require the test make sure it's that recent? A stud that is used a lot could get into a lot of trouble in a couple days.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm

That's why I said a popular stud dog could breed 2 females in the same day but can't you draw blood every day of the wk plus it probably takes some time to show up.
I also said I have never seen any Bruce results on a stud dog.NEVER!!
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:56 am

I require an outside female to be tested within 7 days of the breeding, and I do the same with my male.

Vern has been studded out 22 times, so yes it adds up at $80.00 a pop, but as far as I am concerned that is built into the stud fee.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Brucellosis test

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 am

Man you guys have expensive vets, my vet doesn't send it anywhere, in house lab.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:20 am

ACooper wrote:Man you guys have expensive vets, my vet doesn't send it anywhere, in house lab.
This is my reason for asking. My vet did it in house for about $35 and immediate results. Bitch owners could stop on the way here and do the test.
Now they say the in house tests are no longer available, it needs to be sent to a lab, takes up to a week and cost has more than doubled. I don't know what the issue with the in house testing is.
Given the consequences of a positive test I like to do it, but I wonder if anyone has ever seen a case of brucellosis and is there really pockets where it is a issue.......Cj

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am

There was an issue a few years ago in OK with some of the bulldog guys.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 pm

All the vets around here that I'm aware of send it out to the same lab going to cost you $80 like it or not & will take a minimum of 3 days.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 am

My vets don't do in house brucellosis any more. Said is was found to be less reliable. They send it out and has a 5-10 day turn around and is also $80.

So from the day my dog comes in heat I call, schedule an appt. get in 2-3 days from then if I am lucky (and believe me no sooner - called with a laceration once and they said the next afternoon at the earliest) On top of that, Not open weekends and no patients on wednesdays which is a surgery day.... then they draw blood and send off and might be 10 days before I have results. That's maybe 13 days before I even have results - and what if I have to travel a day or two to get to the male? It's cutting it close for sure. So I think a recent, within a month or so is fine. You should have an idea when the female will be coming in and plan to get it done a few weeks before you expect her in.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Take this for what it's worth. I'm on a breeding group on Facebook. The topic came up today of testing for brucellosis. It happened that someone mentioned a link for lecture notes, some notes regarding MN. It could be hogwash, but it looks like something you could pursue or verify with research, given there is a veterinarian's name given.

http://www.gloryridge.com/brucellosis.htm

And there's the November 2013 Michigan government warning.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7- ... --,00.html

Someone also mentioned an article they had read within the last couple months on the AVMA RSS feed about brucellosis being on the increase in the eastern part of the US, especially Southeast...and about Southern Rescue dogs that spent any time as a stray were 6% positive for brucellosis and that rescues don't typically test for it. So it was a point of concern with the dogs being shipped everywhere as they now do with some shelter dogs, some even coming from other countries. That poster didn't have a link to provide.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Given the gravity of having Bruce in your kennel, I can not believe the department of agriculture would not be all over this. I would think every vet in the country would be aware of it.
I am going to check with my vets tomorrow. Hope it is Malarkey.......................CJ
Last edited by cjhills on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:43 pm

I'm glad we test both sire and dam every breeding no matter if we breed in house or outside dogs.. I'm wondering now if that's why the last 5 or 6 test we've done have been shipped out from the Marshfield Wi. lab to Corrnel U. Yet this vet only trusts the lab in kannas. We did have brucellosis sweep through a kennel up in Cook Mn a few years back....
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I don't mean to raise alarm, so please verify if you can.

Iowa is supposed to be a mandatory reporting state, and someone suggested on the FB group I'm in, to contact the Dept's of Ag in the states that are mandatory reporting. So I did that today. In email, I asked the State Veterinarian for the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship, if he has records available of the number of Brucellosis positive dogs, the years to match, and possibly the counties associated with the dogs. His full reply is below...
Reporting of canine brucellosis positive testing is required. When there is a positive laboratory report of canine brucellosis received, this is issued to one of our State District Veterinarians to investigate, an Order of Quarantine is issued and the criteria for release of the quarantine is reviewed with the owner. All cases are handled individually, but the information is not accumulated in a database or tracked by county. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:22 am

we charge $50, buts that because we send them all in to the state lab. we used to do the in house test, but frankly i have so few requests for canine brucellosis tests that the in house tests would expire before i could get even close to using them up. For a while you couldnt get the in house test, but i think they are back on the market now.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:49 am

dog dr wrote:we charge $50, buts that because we send them all in to the state lab. we used to do the in house test, but frankly i have so few requests for canine brucellosis tests that the in house tests would expire before i could get even close to using them up. For a while you couldnt get the in house test, but i think they are back on the market now.
Have you heard of a epidemic in IOWA and Minnesota and if there was one don't you think the veterinarians would have heard of it.. Mine are both U of M graduates with strong connections to U of M. They told me in December there hasn't been a case in MN. in thirty years. It looks like a advertisement for test kits........................... Cj

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 am

Havent heard anything about it.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 pm

cjhills wrote:They told me in December there hasn't been a case in MN. in thirty years. It looks like a advertisement for test kits........................... Cj
I just spent a few minutes googling Canine Brucellosis and Minnesota. I came across a link to a PDF "Potential for Zoonotic Transmission" that appears to be linked to the Minnesota Department of Health from 2003. I did not read the entire PDF, but it appears there have been cases within the last 30 years. I can't link the direct PDF, but I'm hoping this link gets you there. I don't know if there is anything more current regarding stats.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=min ... 5&as_vis=1
Eleven cases or outbreaks
of brucellosis in dogs were reported to the Minnesota
Board of Animal Health between 1996 and
1999. One outbreak in 1996 involved more than 100
dogs in several locations.
Obviously my own State Veterinarian would/could give me nothing yesterday, one way or the other, so I have no clue to Iowa's reality. With dogs migrating from state to state for breeding, training, testing, showing, adoption, etc...I personally believe there's probably not a state where it doesn't exist.
Last edited by wems2371 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:46 pm

I can not find any information on any of these cases. It seems like for a disease that would shut my kennel down, I would be able to find some information on a actual case. It just seems logical that there would be some records of outbreaks. especially if it involved hundreds of dogs and humans...........................Cj

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:26 pm

CJ , All can say is the vet who does our hips and tails did the treatment for this kennel. Words from his mouth ..... I think the folks raised Shelties. This could of been from yrs. past or present. There were buffalo put down in either Montana or Dakotas not that long ago. Since this vet says Brucellosis can be transmitted through body fuilds could there be a link between wildlife and canine , human transmission. Does our state reguire reporting of all cases?

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Is Brucella canis the same as Brucella abortus?

B. Canis:
Importance
Canine brucellosis, caused by Brucella canis, is an important cause of
reproductive failure, particularly in kennels. This organism causes abortions,
stillbirths, epididymitis, orchitis and sperm abnormalities in dogs. Although dogs that
have been spayed or neutered do not have reproductive signs, they occasionally
develop other conditions such as ocular disease and discospondylitis. B. canis can
persist in an animal even after antibiotic treatment. In kennels, infected dogs are often
euthanized to prevent them from infecting other dogs or people. Canine brucellosis is
sometimes difficult to diagnose with the currently available tests.
Although B. canis is zoonotic, its importance as a cause of human illness is still
unclear. Few cases have been reported in people, and most of these infections have been
mild. However, human infections with B. canis may be underdiagnosed. The symptoms
of this disease are nonspecific, diagnostic suspicion is low among physicians, and
bacterial culture is the only commonly available test for diagnosis in people.
Etiology
In dogs, brucellosis is mainly caused by Brucella canis, a Gram-negative
coccobacillus or short rod. This organism is a facultative intracellular pathogen. Other
Brucella species occasionally associated with disease in dogs include Brucella
abortus, B. melitensis and B. suis. (For information on these organisms, see the
factsheets titled “Bovine Brucellosis,” “Ovine and Caprine Brucellosis,” and “Porcine
Brucellosis” respectively.)
In addition to the organisms found in dogs, humans can be infected with the less
virulent M- strain of B. canis, which is used as an antigen for serological testing. One
clinical case was reported in a person exposed to this organism in the laboratory.
B. Abortus
Importance
Bovine brucellosis, caused by the bacterium Brucella abortus, is an economically
important cause of abortions in cattle. B. abortus also affects other species including
bison, buffalo and elk; some species are maintenance hosts for this organism. Infections
in wildlife can hinder eradication efforts in cattle. In addition, B. abortus is a human
pathogen. In humans, brucellosis can be a serious, debilitating and sometimes chronic
disease that may affect a variety of organs. Most cases are the result of occupational
exposure to infected animals, but infections can also occur from ingesting contaminated
dairy products. In addition, B. abortus could be used in a bioterrorist attack.
Etiology
In cattle, bison and buffalo, brucellosis is mainly caused by Brucella abortus, a
Gram-negative coccobacillus or short rod. This organism is a facultative intracellular
pathogen. Up to nine B. abortus biovars (1-9) have been reported, but some of these
biovars differ only slightly and their status is unresolved. Other Brucella species
uncommonly associated with disease in cattle include Brucella melitensis and B. suis.
(For information on B. suis or B. melitensis, see the factsheets titled “Porcine
Brucellosis” and “Ovine and Caprine Brucellosis,” respectively.)
Genetic and immunological evidence suggests that all members of the genus
Brucella are closely related, and some microbiologists have proposed that this genus
be reclassified into a single species (B. melitensis), which contains many biovars. This
proposal is controversial, and both taxonomic systems are currently in use. The
multiple species nomenclature is used in this factsheet.
Species Affected
Most species of Brucella are primarily associated with certain hosts; however,
infections can also occur in other species, particularly when they are kept in close
contact. Maintenance hosts for Brucella abortus include cattle, bison (Bison spp.)
water buffalo (Bubalus bubalus), African buffalo (Syncerus caffer), elk and camels. A
feral pig population has recently been reported to maintain B. abortus. A variety of
other species can become "spill-over" hosts where this organism is enzootic. B.
abortus has been reported in horses, sheep, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, goats,
chamois, pigs, raccoons, opossums, dogs, coyotes, foxes, wolves and other species.
Moose and llamas can be infected experimentally.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm

When I was a child, the Department of agriculture tested for bovine Brucellosis yearly. Every head of cattle was tested. It was also known as Bangs Disease and undulant Fever. About the worst insult there was to a farmer was to say his cattle had Bangs disease. Any cows the were positive were destroyed I am not sure if the meat was used or not. I am quite sure they did not think dogs would get it and they never tested the dogs. Mn. was declared Brucellosis free in 1985. I believe they have since found some in the deer population in northern Mn.
I am quite sure what the elk,deer and Buffalo in Montana get is not the same as dogs have. I can't find any information that says for sure cattle can get it from wild life.
I am going to do more searching and talk to the UofM but so far I have not found any thing Concrete........................Cj

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Interesting thread. Good thread really

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:CJ , All can say is the vet who does our hips and tails did the treatment for this kennel. Words from his mouth ..... I think the folks raised Shelties. This could of been from yrs. past or present. There were buffalo put down in either Montana or Dakotas not that long ago. Since this vet says Brucellosis can be transmitted through body fuilds could there be a link between wildlife and canine , human transmission. Does our state reguire reporting of all cases?
Yes, MN. has mandatory reporting of all cases and if that vet put down 247 dogs from three kennels in MN. and seen 1200 cases they were not reported. That report has to be a attempt to sell tests. There is no way he could have treated that many dogs and not reported them. My vet has been in business for 23 years and has never seen a case.
Getting Information is not easy. It seems they are bit nervous about lawsuits. There were 45 reactors in 2013 not sure if that is dogs only or all domestic animals. Also if all positives are included. There seems to be quite a few false positives and that may be why yours were sent to a different lab for further testing.
Going to try to get some info on this Dr Kessler
Working on getting more. I think they are sending some hard copies...........................cj

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:53 pm

So to follow up, the PDF I had linked above showed that Minnesota has had B. canis positive dogs in as little as 15 years ago.

I emailed the gal on Friday that did the peer reviewed journal PDF that I linked. A quick google uncovered that Joni Scheftel DVM, the author, is your current State Public Health Veterinarian. I do not feel comfortable putting her email on display, as I did not ask permission to share it on a forum. If anyone would like to see it, PM me your email address, and I will gladly forward my correspondence with her.

I'll attempt to paraphrase. Ms. Scheftel confirmed that Minnesota is a mandatory reporting state. I asked about quarantine and euthanasia, per something that caught my eye in the PDF. In the PDF she had mentioned a case study of reported positive dogs, doing some titer tests, and then the owners refusing to follow up...and there were no repercussions. I got the impression they could keep on doing business as usual, whereas I had prior assumed that in mandatory reporting states, positive dogs were either euthanized or quarantined. Per that article, and she says it is still true today, the Minnesota Board of Animal Health has no authority to quarantine or depopulate infected kennels. She says they also do not keep a database of cases or post the data to their website, nor does she.

Ms. Scheftel was in practice at the time she dealth with the kennel case in the PDF, but is now in public health regarding zoonotic diseases that are transmissable from animals. She said they haven't had a human B. canis infection reported for more than 14 years in MN.

Ms. Scheftel says with absolute authority that B. canis occurs more commonly in MN than most people (including veterinarians) realize. From her follow ups with public health, she says MN has several cases reported in dogs every year, and they are lab confirmed. She says some are rescue dogs and some are born and bred in Minnesota.

She feels it's important for purchased incoming dogs to be quarantined and tested and that all dogs be tested prior to breeding. And I'll quote this last one, "B. canis usually comes into a kennel from a trusted source, so people don't think they need to test."

Blue Dawn Kennel

Post by Blue Dawn Kennel » Wed May 28, 2014 5:22 pm

The females for sure need to be tested and the males do as well. If the male has been tested just before being bred again then he'd be called good to go. Any dog no matter sex can contract brucellosis and not just from other dogs they can get it from the ground as well. (DVM informed me of this years ago) so no matter how rare if you value your dog(s) it's an easy and cheap test to do with quick results.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Has anyone on here ever gotten a positive test?

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu May 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Like many of you, I have 1000's of $$$$ into my young stud dog and I do the honor of testing him every time he is used because I respect the $$$$ folks have invested in their bitches. Brucellosis in a kennel WIPES you out...its a game changer.
There have been cases in the southern US and these folks go to ND to hunt too...as far as I know. Don't forget that measles and polio were "conquered" until they reappeared this year.

Find a vet that's cheaper...I'm in high tax NJ and my vet charges $35.