House training help

Vanebecker

House training help

Post by Vanebecker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 pm

So i cant seem to break my 4 month old blue tick from going in the house! She goes outside every time we put her out but she keeps going 1 and 2 in the house with no warning...what do i do?

FirearmFan

Re: House training help

Post by FirearmFan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Have you been using a crate? At that age they can't really control themselves that well. When I was house breaking my pup I tried to bring him outside every 15-20 minutes. If he didn't go it was back in the crate and we would try again later. Keep at it and it will get better.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:54 pm

1) put a 6 foot leash on her in the house at all times, restrict inside time ALOT and watch watch watch. Make a pact that from now on she will not be in the house off leash untill she is reliably asking to go outside. The more accidents she has the harder your chore is and themore she has a habit of going inside.

2) Teach her how to ask. If leashed near you, you have to find another way for her than whining at the door, but choose some behavior and make it her way to ask to go out. Something she already does when she wants something is probably easiest for her to learn but you train her to do whatever as long as you ALWAYS take her out when she does that thing.

3) crate train!

If I can I will send you a PM with my house training tips for puppies that I send home with our puppies.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Like all things ,they learn by habit - doing it over and over. Every accident in the house is a step backwards. Total supervision ( leash to waist , crate etc.) until the habit is established. Keep in one or 2 rooms only - no run of the house. Use baby gates if necessary.Takes a puppy 2-3 weeks maybe . A dog that has been going in the house will take longer.

habits : Reminded again last night how dogs learn through habit. Clicked off the computer at midnight and both dogs headed for their crates. They responded to the click , which I hadn't realized. They knew it was bed time. Put on lipstick, and all 3 dogs dogs head for their crate. They know I'm going out. Dogs are amazing!. :)

Vanebecker

House training help

Post by Vanebecker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:44 pm

She is an inside dog...is it ok/healthy for her to be on a leash or in the crate at all times? Rite now she stay out of the crate inside unless we leave or go to bed.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Crating her is VERY smart. Also, as stated above, every single accident just teaches her that it's o.k. to use the house as her bathroom. Puppies cannot be trusted to just "know" they need to go outside. You have to be super eagle-eye on her (or tether her to you) and keep her crated when you're showering, cooking, or otherwise not watching her like a hawk. Keep her totally under your thumb until she learns how to use the bathroom and ask to go outside. We use a bell for training on the door. Our 5 month old pointer has it down pat - he runs over there and rings the bell when he needs to go out. Make sure she's getting a lot of exercise too, that helps on a lot of fronts with a young dog.

arutch

Post by arutch » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Where I get my labs(get them tomorrow :D :D :D ) they use a bell also and I already have one up. At almost 8 weeks 5 out of six of them know when they ring the bell we come open the door. It will help a lot and shouldn't take too long for your dog to catch on.

Vanebecker

House training help

Post by Vanebecker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Just hang any bell? Like from the nob or something?

arutch

Post by arutch » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Well you could do that if you had to but yes from the nob and long enough to where your dog can reach it with her nose or paw and nudge it for you to here. At first when your dog doesn't have it down make sure every time you let him/her out you ring it and every time they even bump it accidentally you open it so they make the connection. "PoochieBells Solid Classic Black Dog Potty Training Doorbell" google that and it's an idea. your local pet store if you have one may have something like it.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 am

My inside gal comes up to me, sits, then paws at me, like givinga high 5. I ask her want to go out, she responds :) we go out, she does her thing. I used a small area with puppy pads at first. I would watch her and when she showed signs of needing to go I took her outside. After a couple days no more puppy pads, she will not go inside now. I also did this with rascal, but he has decided he wants to be outside all the time now. Sits and watches the cat. or the squirell or....