My littermate questions

arutch

My littermate questions

Post by arutch » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I received my two litter mates yesterday duke and mav(erick) I already know all the problems with litter mates so you don't need to explain to me butttt I have a few questions for you with experience. Due to the first night I let them sleep together and
Eat together. Today I moved there crates in different rooms put them in and they whined until they realized. I one was home I guess a little later when I got back from soccer I put them in their kennels to eat and they just whined and wouldn't eat so I just sat by each of them in each crate and they ate a little but it's like they wouldn't so I moved their crates next to each other and then put a blanket between so they couldn't see each other but knew they were next to each other. I am slowly going to move them farther a part. Later I kennel end them again and they still whined. Is it something that will take time? Should I just move them to different rooms and let them whine? and when they are together they rough house pretty hard should i intervene or let them go at it and tire each other?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: My littermate questions

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm

I think you are on the right track. They are use to having a bunch of pups to sleep with and when they no longer have that they will need to learn to sleep and be by themselves some. So my advice is to just move them apart and it will be OK in a few nights. As far as playing let them play and get tired.

Ezzy

arutch

Post by arutch » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:44 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think you are on the right track. They are use to having a bunch of pups to sleep with and when they no longer have that they will need to learn to sleep and be by themselves some. So my advice is to just move them apart and it will be OK in a few nights. As far as playing let them play and get tired.

Ezzy
Thank you for responding ezzy, I just want them too be happy healthy dogs and be one fine obedient pair of litter mates. So your saying move them to different rooms and let them whine a few nights?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:02 pm

The rest of the puppies have to be alone "cold turkey" but I think you could do it gradually like you started. I'd keep them in different crates, but next to each other. Slowly moving them apart over the first week. The goal is to get them able to be alone or with your family and feeling safe and confident. Whichever way is probably fine as long as you move pretty quickly to being alone in a crate.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Whining is normal, whether it is one or more. Just takes a little time for them to get used to their new environment and routine. Remember, their entire world has suddenly changed.

Charlie