NSTRA English Setters

Gertie

NSTRA English Setters

Post by Gertie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 pm

A friend of mine is interested in getting am English setter pup to compete in NSTRA and hunt grouse and pheasant with. He is located in Idaho and I'm wondering if any of you know a good breeder that I could put him in contact with? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

hustonmc

Re: NSTRA English Setters

Post by hustonmc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:54 pm

I thought you were going to raise a litter? I'll keep my ears open. I haven't heard about a good Setter breeding in awhile.

mask

Post by mask » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:05 pm

I would try Jerry Krebs in Idaho or Erik Mauk in Oregon.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Matt, Ya Gertie's breeder wants to breed her to either Jettsun or Rapidan but my friend is not interested in a breeding with that much run in them. Mask, Thanks. I'll tell him about Jerry.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Gertie wrote:Matt, Ya Gertie's breeder wants to breed her to either Jettsun or Rapidan but my friend is not interested in a breeding with that much run in them. Mask, Thanks. I'll tell him about Jerry.
My bad. You said your friend wanted to "compete" in NSTRA, so I figured he wanted to be competitive. To be competitive, he'll need as much horsepower as he can get, in any venue, you know that.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:04 pm

He might check with Gene Mahoney in Spokane. Gene has raised a lot of good NSTRA dogs over the years. Very suitable to NSTRA. Don't know where your friend is but have him try to contact Jerry Yomans in Derry, Ida. He's been in NSTRA a long long time and may know what's around.

Uplandish

Post by Uplandish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Is Bud Folk is another guy to look up.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Troy of Prairie Drifter Setters in Cunnngham, Kansas has a litter that may be worth looking into. They are 6.5 weeks old and he has one already going to Idaho. They are of some close working dogs with great ground speed and noses. I believe the have some great NSTRA stuff up close.

http://www.prairiedriftersetters.comxa.com/

Nitrex

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Matt, Ya I know. He's scared :mrgreen: I think he does a lot of grouse hunting too so wants a more close working dog. In sure he can find something out there that'll work for both. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll pass it along.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 pm

There is a big fellow in northeast wa I think who breeds some pretty nice nstra setters...Matt, I can't remember his name but he was about 6 foot 4 and had a beard. Also that fellow from Nine mile falls Mike Stotts may be able to point Gerti in the right direction. Joe shafer seems to find nice setters from nstra lines pretty often too.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 pm

hustonmc wrote:I haven't heard about a good Setter breeding in awhile.
Everything I type comes across as being a total D!c% So, see above comment.
Wildweeds is who I'd contact. He produced some nice pups from the best Setter breeding around here that I've heard about a few years ago. Could run NSTRA, hunt grouse, SD or probably AA if they where developed right. He won't have pups but he knows as much as what going on in the NW Setter scene as anybody.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 pm

hustonmc wrote:
hustonmc wrote:I haven't heard about a good Setter breeding in awhile.
Everything I type comes across as being a total D!c% So, see above comment.
You do have a way with words lol

LightingFlashSetters

Post by LightingFlashSetters » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 am

I just stumbled across this post-and I don't mean to come across as a salesman here (obviously I am though haha)- My Father has a 1.5 year old close working setter that would be perfectly suited for someone looking for a grouse, and pheasant hunting dog.

He is trained daily on Pheasant and Quail-and has come on nicely this winter in the big woods of the Adirondacks for Grouse. My Father is located in New York but sells dogs nation wide.

Lightning Flash Hank-his pedigree is deeply rooted in Grouse Ridge Setter bloodlines-he loves to please, and is an awesome dog. I could send video of him from this winter in the woods if you were interested in checking him out.

He is at the top of this page http://www.lightningflashsetters.com/litters.html