Male or Female

jbonesky

Male or Female

Post by jbonesky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm

On my search for a Brittany pup I've gotten people giving me advice on getting either a male or female. So I was wondering who has Males/Females and why you chose that sex for your gundog?

Bounty_Hunter

Re: Male or Female

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:48 pm

I own a 3 year old male Brittany and chose him for 2 reasons 1st- I didn't want the extra cost of fixing a female since I don't breed dogs. 2nd- I liked the color and ticking that he had on him. I do understand what they mean when they say male dogs can have stubborn streaks. He has really good hunting drive and is very intelligent though. Britts are great dogs.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:51 pm

I have both a male and a female Britt.The female is the first female i have ever owned.The male wants to please he is biddable he can have stubborn streaks but for the most part has been pretty easy to train.
My female on the other hand seems to learn only what she feels like learning.If i put any pressure on her she acts like i am taking a bullwhip to her.She will tuck tail if i so much as raise my voice.She is going to be a challenge for sure.I use no more than vibration on her collar and she responds.She hates squirrels with a passion.My male is always wanting attention,my female is aloof and wants attention only when she sees my male getting some.My female is still wound pretty tight for 17 months,my male has calmed down quite a bit more.Just some of my observations.Good Luck with your choice.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:15 pm

Sex really doesn't matter all that much,all dogs are individuals with temperaments of their own.It's more about each individual dog.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:18 pm

With my history of GSPs and GWP I have learned that I do better with females. To me they mature faster and figure out things quicker. I like the smaller size, lighter to handle, take up less space, use smaller crates, etc. You do have the down side of them coming into season once or twice a year.

Both males and females can be super dogs. Just think different people work better with different sexed dogs.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:07 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Sex really doesn't matter all that much,all dogs are individuals with temperaments of their own.It's more about each individual dog.
Hey sex matters a lot especially good sex. As far as the dog world goes, pick the one that you like best and go with it. Females are likely to be a little neater around the house while males will pee on the flowers but still go with your gut.

Frankug

Male or Female

Post by Frankug » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I tend to like female hunting dogs. I feel I have better rapport with a female as I am male. Sounds strange but universal. Males can drive me crazy. Slow to mature. Stubborn. They spend too much time peeing on stuff and marking their territory and not hunting to me. My females are better hunters. More valuable hunting partners to me. My dogs are more hounds than say a bird dog though. I don't know if bird dog people would say the same. Hound people have agreed with me. I am sure there are exceptions to this rule. My parents have English pointers and I tend to like the males more than the females. They can be super stubborn though. It just seems to me that between the good males and females the females have more bad days. No data to back up the female bird dogs having more bad days just an opinion. Depends on how you intend to hunt them. My parents hunt their pointers off horse back and want them stretching it out, covering ground not out of control. A big muscled up stud dog seems to out perform the female. If I was hunting on foot it would be the female. That stud dog would be three hills over before you got up the first hill. Although if I were to buy a bird dog to train myself it would be female, the whole rapport thing.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:33 am

I like males because in general they tend to be more affectionate and less stubborn once they get older. Females do things on their terms and can be moody (I'm talking about dogs here lol). Males are just more easy going.

Bounty_Hunter

Post by Bounty_Hunter » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:04 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:I'm talking about dogs here lol
It's quite common to other species too. :mrgreen: