exercise level of gsp as compared to labs

nbourbaki

Post by nbourbaki » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi all,

I know all dogs and are different, etc, but can anyone comment in broad strokes on the exercise needs/hyperness of GSPs vs. Labs.

I have a fair amount of lab experience, and am quite comfortable with their needs for our family schedule,etc. Mind you, these have all been family only dogs, not hunting, agility, etc.

We currently do not have a dog, and are thinking of adding a short haired pointing dog of some type (most likely GSP, maybe vizsla?) to our family. It would still be a family first dog, but some limited hunting activities as well (see my other post re bowhunting birds with a dog).

many thanks!

Fun dog

Re: exercise level of gsp as compared to labs

Post by Fun dog » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Extreme! :mrgreen: GSP's are high strung and need lots of attention and exercise. They do have their good points however. They love their family, are great with children and you will never out hike or hunt them. They generally don't smell doggy and shedding is at a minimum though I have found some that shed. I love my shorthairs, but there are times I have to kick them outside to chill for a bit. For the most part they love to please and train well.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:37 pm

I won't comment about the short haired pointing breed but do a lot of research on whatever you choose. Comparing a GSP energy level to a lab is not fair to the lab... Vizslas can be more calm but then looking for a calm V you might reduce liklieness of them hunting , then you may have hunt training issues. Do a lot of research on the breeding. Most vizsla litters you will have to wait... I'll sell you a GSP hunt ready from the back of my truck on a street corner.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:31 am

Labs come in a wide range of exercise needs. If you buy a dog from strong working lines they will require nearly the same exercise as a GSP from strong working lines - however they are content to do it within 100 ft of you. If you have a backyard, a couple beers and a tennis ball you can exercise your Lab. The GSP will not be content with that - their innate instinct is not to fetch up stuff, but to search out stuff. The Lab is happy fetching up stuff, the GSP needs room to roam.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 am

I have had both - currently own a GSP and a V. Both are great dogs. The GSP has a bit more energy to burn than the V. He's more likely to settle in on the couch with me. That said, no matter which way you go....get out there and meet several representatives of the breed. Find the energy level you can live with - but you've got to visit multiple breeders and see the dogs in action.

Pheasant Fest in Milwaukee in February has a birddog section with many, many breeds in attendance. Any NAVHDA club will likely have GSP's and maybe some V's to look at. Do your research by seeing the dogs in person, in action, long before you buy a pup. If you are going to train it to hunt, join your local club BEFORE you purchase or put money down on a pup. Those locals might have some really good leads for you - OR, you might see a trait you just really don't like in a breed (my V whines a lot and absolutely has to be with you in the house - as in, you will never pee alone again after you get one of these dogs - they call them Velcro for a reason), GSP's can be loud (barky) sometimes.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:45 am

I have pointers and GSP's. I get em out once or twice a week to hunt for a day. They seem to do just fine with that, I let em run around the backyard during the day. They mostly just sleep though.

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:18 pm

I have both ends of the lab spectrum, one that requires no excersise besides walking to his food dish, and one that will go crazy if you don't run him every other day. My buddy has shorthairs though, and they are a whole different level of energy. We hunted my three year old lab who is in great shape, with his 6 month old shorthair; at the end of the day when my lab was drinking a gallon of water and trying to find a spot to lay down his dog was running circles around the truck.

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:42 pm

Mine is a 3 year old female, she hunts about three days a week ( grouse season is open). She runs hard for four or five hours and I still have to coax her to get in the vehicle. Crazy dog, when she is not hunting I try to take her to the park and turn her loose, working hand signals and whistle. At home seems like she sleeps most of the time. Lol