This season(pic heavy)

Hunt1Fish2

This season(pic heavy)

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:08 am

Well, things are looking good for me. MY dog has had over 300 birds shot over him since he was a pup and he isn't even 2 yet. I got a name started for myself in training in the area up here and sold my first 2 started dogs this last Fall. I have 4 dogs already coming in the spring and another couple of people interested plus the 2 pups I bought to flip and for training practice. Had an outfitter ask if I wanted to guide ducks for him and we smacked some roosters one weekend around Bismarck. I'm pumped up for training this Spring/Summer/Fall etc and can't wait for duck season and hunt tests. Goals are- Put SH and Apprentice APLA title on Chief, atleast JH title on other dogs I train or have them atleast to that level or higher, potentially produce my first litter of pups, successfully flip 2-4 puppies, build flight pen addition to my coop. Hunting goals- as a group shoot 300+ ducks this year(usually 2-4 of us hunting, sometimes by myself), Triple our goose total from this last seson (so shoot 96+), MAKE IT PHEASANT HUNTING MORE OFTEN and bag another one worth mounting, put up 2 duck blinds. School/personal- 3.6 GPA this college semester, get the internship job at a highly recognized crop consultant of the area, build a bigger name for myself as a hunter(to become a good guide) and dog trainer, and as of now the plan is for me and my buddy to put up a Man Cave(metal building with living quarters inside). Lots to do but its gotta be done sooner or later. Can't wait to get after it this year as soon as this frigid weather leaves NoDAk haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hunt1Fish2 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hunt1Fish2

Re: This season

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:21 am

Few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:23 am

Sorry, pic heavy haha

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:26 am

The one photo is the one I entered in the Fiocchi photo contest and took 3rd place. Chiefs picture will be in their catalog when I comes out! Very proud of my boy!!!

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am

Last one. Chief worked hard all day and hunted through the nasty Russian olives when he had too. He does whatever it takes to get the bird!!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: This season(pic heavy)

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:20 am

Sounds like you have had an enjoyable year and big plans for the future. I like that. The one thing I found interesting was your measure of success. The number of birds I shot never made it into the equation of how much fun a hunting trip was. Some of my best hunts ended up with one or two and many good one ended up with zero. And as I got older I found numbers had little to do with success or enjoyment. Friends and dogs were so much more important. A couple of the real good ones didn't even involve carrying a gun but rather a camera. The nice thing about that is you have the pictures that will help enhance the memories as you get older.

Hope everything continues to work out for you and I will look forward to reading your report in 30 years or so and see what changes have taken place in your measurement of success and to see how closely things followed your dreams.

Ezzy

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks Ezzy! I enjoy eveytime im out hunting. But you
Have to be able to kill birds to be a guide haha

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Hunt1Fish2 wrote:Thanks Ezzy! I enjoy eveytime im out hunting. But you
Have to be able to kill birds to be a guide haha
I and several friends have worked as guides and I have never had anyone ask what I have killed and my friends haven't either. Our guiding is based largely on the quality of our dogs. People want to shoot something so they want to make sure your dogs can find something for them to kill. Only time I carry a gun is if we are in country with dangerous animals or are hunting them.

Ezzy

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:51 pm

Ezzy, he's making a name for himself. If someone wants the balls out best guide he's going to have a bunch of tailgate success hero shots. The public will eat it up.

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 am

Yea, I know. People aren't going to wanna hunt with a guide who has "bleep" dogs, but lets be honest. Chief isn't a "bleep" dog. He marked and found a rooster that fell on the other side of a hill and was 300-400 yards away from us(@10months old with no hand signals, I believe a GOOD dog can do it on his own with only his nose). I have hunted over Guide SPringers, other labs, GWP's, and Shorthairs and had more roosters hit the ground running and get away than what should have. Not saying they're bad breeds(I like shorthairs and spaniels but the dogs weren't the best. I ran chief @ 4.5 months old with a guide dog at Safari Iowa and chief found 2 birds before the GSP did(not bad for a pup). Chief this year swam in ice cold water for 20 mins trying to catch a wounded mallard, busted through cattails, ice, and swam for a very long time to come up with just one bird. Ive seen dogs that give up after a few mins in weather like that. Chief hunted -40 plus weather busting through cattails, Russian olives and thick covers to find me roosters. In chiefs 2 years he has NEVER (and im being completely honest!!) lost a wounded upland bird and only lost 3 ducks this year because they dove and never came up, you can believe me if you if you want to, either way idc. My other 2 pups(my uncle keeps them) that I will eventually use for breeding are the exact same way and come from champion bloodlines! So there is my speel about my dogs since you were questioning the(you may or may not have been but it seemed like you were) I don't like when people question the hunting ability of my dogs, nonetheless Chief(who is my buddy and everyone who has the pleasure of hunting over him is always in awe of what he can do).
Thanks Bonasa, you must look at it like I do. if that guide is killing all those ducks and geese he must be pretty decent and know what he is doing. If he his shooting all them roosters his dog must have a heck of a nose on him. I think we will go hunting with that guide/outfitter.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:38 am

Great job to you and Chief, looks like a great year. :D

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks! it was definitely a good year, id say Chief's first year of waterfowling was a success.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 pm

If your above comments were made to me I never said a thing about your dogs. I did say that in my experience the quality of your dogs will have a great deal more to being successful as a guide than what kind of a hunter you are. And if you wanted to read between the lines, though I didn't mean to at the time, I maybe suggested that many people do not judge a persons abilities as a guide to how many birds he killed. And that is not a judgment on you but rather what I know from years of experience.

Believe it or not I was trying to have a friendly helpful conversation and how you construed that to downgrading your dogs I have no idea since I have never seen them work. Sounds like you have a nice young Lab, that is doing a good job for you. Keep it up but maybe try to leave a few birds for us old guys that have tired legs and abrasive personalities when it comes to hunting and conservation.

Ezzy

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:13 pm

Sorry Ezzy, just took it personal I guess, I shouldn't have insinuated, I had a guy on another site call out my dog so I was a little irritated last night. You kept mentioning that you base your guiding solely of how your dogs are. Which is a good thing and bad thing IMO. In my idea of guiding and owning an outfitter for duck/goose hunting with pheasant hunting as a kicker for the afternoons you must be able to prove that you have the ability to get the birds in to shoot. Dogs who work great are a HUGE extra for duck hunting because they can impress people and help get them to come back again. Dogs for rooster hunting are what its ALL ABOUT because they have to be good to find birds and wounded pheasant and they get the people to come back for that(I enjoy watching my dog pheasant hunt more than I do shooting them birds get shot as a reward for the dog and for some enjoyment myself). Dogs for Fowl hunting are not the ones who set up dekes, make breakfast, call in birds, drive hunters to and from locations, etc. But how would you lure people in to pay hundreds of dollars(thousands at some places) to go fowl hunting if you can't prove to them that you can kill birds. People who pay big bucks to come up to NoDak to Fowl hunt don't care a whole lot about the dogs so long as they bring back the birds, they just wanna come up here enjoy their time off, drink some beers, and MOST of all shoot birds(correct me if im wrong).