No Quail in Missouri - LOL

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

No Quail in Missouri - LOL

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 am

Really....

I have to say, the last two days of the season, I was able to hunt two half-days. The group I hunted with on day 1 found 7 coveys and on day 2 we found another 7 coveys as well. We harvested a few birds and had some great dog work. These areas we hunted were all in conservation programs - CRP and CSP and pivot corners in the bootheel. Fantastic dog work and some real good bird numbers made for some happy hunters and happy dogs. Had a good result on some public lands in NW MO for my start of the season as well - with a 4 covey morning and a rooster on Poosey CA.

I met the first setter I've ever enjoyed hunting over - Grace - she was quite a dog! My Vizsla and GSP aren't in these pictures, but they both acquitted themselves quite well with multiple covey finds and lots of the retrieves. Thanks to Aaron, Mike and Tim for a great two days of chasing (mostly) long-tailed dogs.

Private land bird surveys are showing a great difference between land managed for quail (mostly disking and burning of CRP or other field border programs) vs. land that isn't managed for wildlife. We're seeing good results where landowners are managing for quail and not just letting the land stay idle for 10 years.
IMG_8256.JPG
IMG_8219.JPG
IMG_8214.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deseeker

Re: No Quail in Missouri - LOL

Post by deseeker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:24 pm

Looks like a good hunt :D Looks like you had plenty of dog power :!: :!: :!:

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, Elsa. Bob, Lin and Jean are coming back from Texas today so maybe we can add some stories or pictures.

Carla

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Awesome! As said above lots of dog power! That last pic is priceless. He' saying "I really don't like this water but if this is what it takes"......

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:02 pm

That's good to hear, sounds like fun. Nice looking cover.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 pm

duckn66 wrote:Awesome! As said above lots of dog power! That last pic is priceless. He' saying "I really don't like this water but if this is what it takes"......
He's just turned 6 months old and has never been in the water (too cold). It was super funny how he swam across to get the quail but then couldn't figure out how to get back because, of course, he doesn't know how to swim! funny puppy.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Very positive post. I have always believed that if land is managed for birds (plenty of cover and food), the birds will be there. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:53 pm

It was a good time Elsa. Thanks for coming down. Come back next season. Hopefully we will get some of those spots burned and get some edge feathering done.

Mike

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:08 pm

birdogg42 wrote:It was a good time Elsa. Thanks for coming down. Come back next season. Hopefully we will get some of those spots burned and get some edge feathering done.

Mike
Only if we get to hunt with Hammer and Dixie again - those dogs were tearing it up. Kate did good too, for an aging pointer!

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Lol. She is gettin old. She still has a little left in the tank yet. Not as much as jenny. That little girl can go.