DC 50

codym

DC 50

Post by codym » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:56 am

Is anyone using this collar yet? I have a DC 40 and it sucks, I think I need to send it back. It loses connection all the time and the compass is giving me the exact opposite heading for the dog. Ive done the updates and recallibrated the compass. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with it because before a couple months ago it worked pretty well. So back to my original question, I need a second collar and I've heard the 30 was better than the 40. I haven't heard anything on the 50 so any info would be appreciated. Oh and if it matters I'm using a 320 handheld.

ruffbritt4

Re: DC 50

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:15 pm

I have heard the 50 loses signal at close distances. I calibrate the compass before every hunt on my 40. Not sure how often you calibrate it but maybe give that a try. Also select start new hunt each time out. Ive only had mine for a few months so I dont know if that will help with the signal.

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:31 pm

I think you have two issues going on, the compass pointing in the wrong direction is your 320, if a recalibration does not fix it, make sure your software is up to date. If that does not take care of it, call Garmin, they will probably talk you through a hard re-boot, or have you send the unit in for repair.

The DC-40 losing signal is usually caused by a lose antennae connection, or a broken antennae. The wire can break inside the plastic sheath, on mine it typically happens where the zip tie holds it to the collar. Make sure the screw is tight that holds the antennae to the collar. If that does not fix it, it may need to go back to Garmin as well.

Also make sure both the collar and 320 are on the same software level, maybe do an update on both even if they are on the latest update. You should be getting good performance out of the combination you have.

I tried a DC 50, a few months ago and was not happy with it. I sent it back for new one and it had the same issue, so I got a refund.
The collar's I had would lose signal randomly at close to medium range, (20 - 100) yards quite often, sometimes 4-6 times in a one hour run.
I did like the battery life, and it did seem to give me more range. I will probably try another one after they have been out for a year.

Good luck,

LD

Razor

Post by Razor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Try this on the 40.

http://www.dusupply.com/stainless-tuffskin-antenna.html

I have not been impressed with the 50.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Razor wrote:Try this on the 40.

http://www.dusupply.com/stainless-tuffskin-antenna.html

I have not been impressed with the 50.
I did some research on those and it sounds like they are great. People said they noticed an increase of range, and better durability. I will have to try one out.

Uplandish

Post by Uplandish » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 pm

I hate my DC50. It loses signal at close range, it loses signal at long range, and it seems noticeably slower to detect a point than my Dc40.
which reminds me now that the season is over I should send it back.

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Good info. Thanks I will try some of the fixes on my DC 40, but I'm pretty sure it's going to need to go back. Maybe I will hold off on buying a new collar till they get all the bugs worked out of the 50

Mikezx18

Post by Mikezx18 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:52 pm

I run a DC 50 and a DC 40 and I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned in these posts. Actually I favor the DC 50 over the 40. It updates faster and the battery lasts longer plus I can download my hunts into basecamp. I use the 50 on my Vizsla and the 40 on my Weim. The V ranges farther and moves faster and the 50 seems to update data faster. But overall I have no bad experiences with either one.