How old is to old

Thunderfan

How old is to old

Post by Thunderfan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:14 am

In searching for my first gun dog I have ran across some that are 5 years and older. From what i read gsp life span is 12-14 years which I know is not always the case. How many hunting years would a 5 or 6 year old dog have left? I am thinking it may be a good way to go just because they should be experienced and will probably help with my lack of experience. What should I look for most when looking at an experienced dog?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: How old is to old

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Depends on the dog of course. My 12 year old is still a great hunter. Can't move as fast as she used to, fatter, slight heart murmur, and suffers from joint pain afterwards ( has meds), but she still wants to go and not be left behind. If she dies in the field someday, that will be fine with her and me.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:00 pm

The 12 year old I have is going blind and deaf, he gets lost in tall grass now so he stays home.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Yes, mine can get turned around. I have a locator collar on her for safety.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Thunderfan wrote:In searching for my first gun dog I have ran across some that are 5 years and older. From what i read gsp life span is 12-14 years which I know is not always the case. How many hunting years would a 5 or 6 year old dog have left? I am thinking it may be a good way to go just because they should be experienced and will probably help with my lack of experience. What should I look for most when looking at an experienced dog?

This sounds like an excellent way for you to go. I have bought a 5 year old dog and a 6 year old, and have been 100% delighted with both. Indeed, more than delighted. Go SEE the dog (I drove 1200 miles to see one) after extensive phone conversations and emails. If you like the way the dog works and its general way of conducting itself in the house (if that's how you're going to keep it), buy it. Get a health guarantee and take it to the vet when you get it home. Xray if the dog isn't already OFA.

Thunderfan

Post by Thunderfan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm

One of the ones I was thinking of is 5-6 years old has been housebroken in the past but has lived in a kennel last year or so. Said he would probably have to be retrained for house life. Our dogs are a part of our family so would definitely be in the house as well as go to work with me from time to time.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I actually think that starting out with an older dog is a good idea. I think a lot of people try and start with a puppy and find that they are clueless when it comes to training and it will be 2 plus years before they have a real hunting dog. There are a lot of 5 or 6 year old dogs that are being retired from field trialing but still have a good five more years of hunting left in them. In many cases they have traveled all over the country and pointed more wild birds than the average hunter can imagine. These dogs are often reasonably priced and may be free in some cases. If you can find one of these, all you need to do is turn them loose, follow them until they point, and then shoot their birds.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:55 pm

You can find many good retired dogs for next to nothing and it is a great way to start. you can teach and old dog new tricks, such as making a house dog out of a kennel dog..........................Cj

Thunderfan

Post by Thunderfan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:54 pm

I think that is the way I will try to go. Now to find one. There was one on here I missed out on. Where else would be a good place to look?

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:28 pm

My 11 year old just blew me away this year. She had some days where she was "carrying the mail" like she did years ago...just not as long. I was happy to get a good hour out of her in the morning and then again end of day. Did give her some Rimadyl but then I was on Advil :lol:

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 am

Thunderfan wrote:I think that is the way I will try to go. Now to find one. There was one on here I missed out on. Where else would be a good place to look?

here. plus:

http://www.gundogsonline.com/hunting-dogs-for-sale/
http://www.gundogcentral.com/

If you do go with an ex-trial dog, make sure it can retrieve and will hunt at the range you like.

Go SEE the dog work. And take it to a vet when you get it home. Check hips. Probably fine, but it's cheap insurance.

See next post for another link.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:56 am

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Well, each dog is different I guess. I've seen a couple dogs that seemed ancient at 6 years of age. But then there are some like one of my bitches. Here's a video of her hunting roosters in the Dakotas this November. She turns 14 in a couple of weeks.

http://www.craigkoshykphoto.ca/p864745993/e18801dcf

You can read more about the grand old lady (and see more videos) here: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2013 ... on_27.html

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:13 pm

My avatar dog, Katie, hunted in guided hunts untill age 13. We took her out a few times for short hunts at 14. But this year she turns 15 and she is for sure retired. But still getting up every morning happy to see her family and food.

If you are new to pointing dogs you definatly need to she the owner work the dog and learn the handling commands they use. The dog needs to transfer to you so be sure to give it time. So many people just wisk the dog into the field to see what it will do when they are still strangers to the dog.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:19 pm

mountaindogs wrote:My avatar dog, Katie, hunted in guided hunts untill age 13. We took her out a few times for short hunts at 14. But this year she turns 15 and she is for sure retired. But still getting up every morning happy to see her family and food.

If you are new to pointing dogs you definatly need to she the owner work the dog and learn the handling commands they use. The dog needs to transfer to you so be sure to give it time. So many people just wisk the dog into the field to see what it will do when they are still strangers to the dog.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence. My current GSP was only 2 1/2 when I bought her, but I did not want to make the mistake of taking her out on a "real" hunt until we'd had time to become acquainted with each other. I spent almost a full year running her as often as I could just so we could learn about each other and so I could help her make that "transfer" you refer to. It was well worth it ... in fact, I believe those months were essential in her development and in my understanding of how to handle her.