Can a dog get he flu?

markj
GDF Junkie

Can a dog get he flu?

Post by markj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 am

or similiar symptoms? Had 2 older dogs so ar this winter have the same symptoms, heavy shivering, uncontrollable shivering, wont eat, wont drink. Kennel temp is like 40 degrees. I brought them in, after 2 days they ate again and are back to normal altho still inside the house. Never had a dog do this in all my years with dogs. I feed them extra calories when its colder out, use ground meat boiled and rice added, lots of fat in there too. First day inside neither would eat, they were 3 weeks apart so one got sick then 3 weeks later the other one.
After a day inside and some chicken broth they started to eat again.

The weather is going warm and extremly cold,I think this is messing up them animals outside. I hope the dog Dr reads this and maybe offers some advise. I cant bring all 6 inside,the wife would leave me for sure.....

madmurph

Re: Can a dog get he flu?

Post by madmurph » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 am

There is a strain of canine influenza that is referred to as H3N8. If I remember correctly, it was first diagnosed in horses and then later in dogs. And it can spread amongst dogs. I don't recall what the symptoms are or what the appropriate treatment is. A quick google of H3N8 should provide more info.

shiloh123

Post by shiloh123 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 pm

Can a dog get the flu. Yes. There is H3N8 which is a dog flu for which there is a vaccine. But they can also get seasonal flu (H1N1 and H3N2 for example) .
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24298574
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23254339

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 pm

The symptoms of this illness in dogs are cough, runny nose and fever, however, a small proportion of dogs can develop severe disease.
Mine didnt have these symptoms :( I will keep on looking, maybe take her to teh vet as she is older.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:02 am

I took my dog in for some shots and my vet recommended that she get her flu shot. I asked a lot of questions, because I didnt even know dogs get the flu, and she said that they do get the flu and it can get bad. I dont remember the percentages, but dogs do die every year from the flu. I want to say 10 - 20 % of dogs who get it die, but dont quote me on that. So I would talk to your vet and see what they say.