What did you say?

Thunderfan

What did you say?

Post by Thunderfan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:11 am

Maybe this is already on here somewhere but, on a gun forum I am in someone created a list of abbreviations, definitions, and acronyms. This is useful to the new guys to refer to so they don't have to start threads asking what things are. They pin it at the top so it's easy to find. For instance I am new here and getting my first bird dog and when you start learning a new language it can be confusing. My dad had a bird dog when I was growing up but, all I new was she pointed and we shot the birds and she brought them back to us. Now I am trying to figure out what everything is actually called and what it actually means would be great to have a reference.

Just a thought.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: What did you say?

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 am

People in the outdoor world don't seem to call anything what it is. Cooler to dream up neat words that a lot of uncool people don't know. I guess it happen's everywhere. I remember the first time I was asked for my social. What the heck is that! With the outdoor world everytime I hear a new one I read the sentence over again to see if I can figure out what the heck they are talking about. I'm coming 68 yrs old, learned english a long time ago. Then at some point in my life it all changed. I believe it was the computer ear. Recall words for my brother years ago. L2, UB, AG, Red. All people. L2 is his girlfriend, Linna. Where does L2 come from. The other's pretty easy once I was told what they mean. UB was Uncle Bob, AG was Aunt Glenda and Red was mom!

Now around here I seldom refer to anything by it's cool or short name until I've used the name. Even took me a while to figure out what CC ment, to obvious I guess! And of course everybody know's or at least should know what a ditch parrot is. Took awhile to get used to that one too, pheasant! Jack O'Conner did an article on writing long ago, right after he retired. It concerned him that writer's used pet name's for stuff. Want to go shoot a mulie? That save's a lot of time and ink over, mule deer! Of course Jack was an English professor! One he told of really got me. People describing their morning drinking boiling hot coffee! Who in their right mind would drink boiling hot coffee. They wrote stuff like this for effect, couldn't hold a persons attention if they didn't! I would give you more example's if I could think of them right off buy soon as I seen one, I try to forget it! You have a muzzy?

The English might have been the originator of this stuff. When I was stationed in Germany, a guy came on base with an English wife. She worked at the bowling alley. First time I'd ever heard a woman tell a guy to keep his "pecker up" and ask someone else to :knock me up in the morning". And those people started the English language, guess that means they can also destroy it!

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 am

When I first started on this site I was looking through some of the older posts and I found this glossary posted by Scott Linden, and it helped me to get caught up with some of the unique dialect of the gun dog world. The link for the conversation is:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=38313&p=359884&hil ... ry#p359884

and the link for the direct glossary is:

http://scottlindenoutdoors.com/glossary ... nd-nation/

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 pm

And then you have those with double meanings. CC = collar conditioning or check chord. You're not alone in being confused by all the abbreviations.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm

I was taught you always used the proper name the first time it appears in your writing with the abbreviation in () so everyone would be able to reference the abbreviation the next time it is used. Makes a lot of sense to me.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:11 pm

I didn't see ditch parrot on Scott's list. Couple weeks ago I read a new name for chukar but can't remember it. Read through that forum and finally figured out they were talking about chukar.

Thunderfan

Post by Thunderfan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:17 am

GrayGhost wrote:When I first started on this site I was looking through some of the older posts and I found this glossary posted by Scott Linden, and it helped me to get caught up with some of the unique dialect of the gun dog world. The link for the conversation is:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=38313&p=359884&hil ... ry#p359884

and the link for the direct glossary is:

http://scottlindenoutdoors.com/glossary ... nd-nation/

Hope this helps and is what you are looking for.
This clears some of it up for sure. I got some personel tutoring from a guy yesterday so I think I have a handle on enough of it to muttle my way through until i get more experience.