what happens to gun shy pointers?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Re: what happens to gun shy pointers?

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:39 am

slistoe wrote:
ACooper wrote:Gun shy can absolutely be a training problem.
That is correct. If you have a dog that is predisposed to becoming gunshy and you handle it improperly you will have a problem. Which is why there are training protocols for introducing the gun - so you can avert the problem. If you get the wrong dog you can follow all the protocols and still have a gunshy dog.
Call me paranoid, but I treat every dog as though it were predisposed to becoming gun shy. In my experience the problem is man made 100% of the time. However, I agree that dogs vary in their sensitivity to training and surrounding environment.

Nate

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:26 am

What would be the difference between the dog that would take a load of #9 to the backside without any averse reaction to the gunshot and the dog that cowers back at the truck when the 22 goes off?
Shoot the dog to see if it is gunshy? lol now that makes no sense to me at all. I will continue to introduce mine in the fashion I have used for 40 years. Even turned 2 gun shy dogs into great hunters. Both were shyed by guys shot several times over their head. They dont like that.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:44 pm

markj wrote:
What would be the difference between the dog that would take a load of #9 to the backside without any averse reaction to the gunshot and the dog that cowers back at the truck when the 22 goes off?
Shoot the dog to see if it is gunshy? lol now that makes no sense to me at all. I will continue to introduce mine in the fashion I have used for 40 years. Even turned 2 gun shy dogs into great hunters. Both were shyed by guys shot several times over their head. They dont like that.
:roll: :roll: