E-Collar use for digging

jbwardfamily

E-Collar use for digging

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:51 am

Has anyone ever used their e-collar to stop their dog from digging? I was thinking that using it on the lowest level would make her think twice when she starts. I'd start with a tone first. She is a 6 month old Brittany and is already used to having a collar on with the underground fence.

marysburg

Re: E-Collar use for digging

Post by marysburg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 pm

The problem with this plan is that you cannot make a correction unless you are directly observing the dog. Does she do the digging when she is unsupervised in the yard? If so, how will you make a correction while you are at work or busy in the house?
Lots of pups dig at that age, but if you can keep her busy with mental exercise (training) and physical exercise, it will help to keep the digging behaviour from becoming a habit. A tired puppy is a good puppy. Try not to give her unsupervised access to the areas where she likes to dig, and make a plan to keep her busy with chew toys, training, outings, and lots of exercise. Sign up for an obedience or agility class to help pass the winter, it will give her a lot of mental stimulation.
Hope these ideas help, enjoy the puppy stuff, it really goes by so quickly.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:24 pm

jbwardfamily wrote:Has anyone ever used their e-collar to stop their dog from digging? I was thinking that using it on the lowest level would make her think twice when she starts. I'd start with a tone first. She is a 6 month old Brittany and is already used to having a collar on with the underground fence.
Jesus Christ !! give us strength.......... :roll:
Y'all beyond help. Get outta here before it makes yer brain fry!
You were Not thinking!!..You were ?

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Put her in an area that is hers and let her dig away.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm

The problem with this plan is that you cannot make a correction unless you are directly observing the dog. Does she do the digging when she is unsupervised in the yard? If so, how will you make a correction while you are at work or busy in the house?
That is the thing. Bad idea.

Charlie

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm sure you guys mean well and many of the people you are used to advising are worth the underestimation but I would never use an e-collar to correct a dog doing something I have not witnessed. The dog is not unsupervised in the yard during the day or when I am home. I believe she actually enjoys it and has started attempting to bury her toys. My question is how to introduce the collar for behavior correction. I completely disagree with the notion that she should be allowed to dig because she is a puppy. How is that any different that allowing her to chase birds unchecked? She is used to the feel of a shock as meaning that she is doing something wrong since she has been introduced to the underground fence and 100% respects the border.

Maybe I am on the wrong site. While 95% of you are really helpful, the other 5% are just rude and have a real "holier than thou" attitude.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:02 pm

Rude comments are unacceptable but takes all kinds to make a forum I guess.

You could do what I did - give up on the backyard. :) I have setters and JRTs - no one digs like a JRT.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:22 pm

jbwardfamily wrote:I'm sure you guys mean well and many of the people you are used to advising are worth the underestimation but I would never use an e-collar to correct a dog doing something I have not witnessed. The dog is not unsupervised in the yard during the day or when I am home. I believe she actually enjoys it and has started attempting to bury her toys. My question is how to introduce the collar for behavior correction. I completely disagree with the notion that she should be allowed to dig because she is a puppy. How is that any different that allowing her to chase birds unchecked? She is used to the feel of a shock as meaning that she is doing something wrong since she has been introduced to the underground fence and 100% respects the border.

Maybe I am on the wrong site. While 95% of you are really helpful, the other 5% are just rude and have a real "holier than thou" attitude.
I must be missing something. I see one comment that could be considered rude but the rest are simply giving honest advise/opinions. I understood that you meant using the e-collar while the dog is under supervision. My thoughts were that there would be times when she would be in the yard without supervision and thus no correction, in which the e-collar idea simply would not correct the problem. So let me try this again......If you are watching her and time the correction to when she starts digging and everytime consistently, it certainly will work. But breaking a digger without being there for a timed correction is next to impossible IME. BTW, if you are finding a 95/5 percent ratio, you are definitely not on the wrong site. :wink:

Charlie

jbwardfamily

Post by jbwardfamily » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:31 pm

birddogger wrote:
jbwardfamily wrote:I'm sure you guys mean well and many of the people you are used to advising are worth the underestimation but I would never use an e-collar to correct a dog doing something I have not witnessed. The dog is not unsupervised in the yard during the day or when I am home. I believe she actually enjoys it and has started attempting to bury her toys. My question is how to introduce the collar for behavior correction. I completely disagree with the notion that she should be allowed to dig because she is a puppy. How is that any different that allowing her to chase birds unchecked? She is used to the feel of a shock as meaning that she is doing something wrong since she has been introduced to the underground fence and 100% respects the border.

I must be missing something. I see one comment that could be considered rude but the rest are simply giving honest advise/opinions. I understood that you meant using the e-collar while the dog is under supervision. My thoughts were that there would be times when she would be in the yard without supervision and thus no correction, in which the e-collar idea simply would not correct the problem. So let me try this again......If you are watching her and time the correction to when she starts digging and everytime consistently, it certainly will work. But breaking a digger without being there for a timed correction is next to impossible IME. BTW, if you are finding a 95/5 percent ratio, you are definitely not on the wrong site. :wink:

Charlie
Thanks for that. I've posted things in the past and have been burned by the 5%. I'm in a crappy mood tonight anyway.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Understand.

Charlie

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 am

I had success just keeping the nails trimmed short; Not into the quick just short. That said all puppies like to dig.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 am

If the dog is always under your supervision, there is no need for an ecollar to correct behavior, just ask him to stop.

An ecollar is not a magic wand nor a joy stick to a video game. You train the dog fully and then reinforce the training when the dog is at a distance.

The only rude responses I see are yours.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Any one who knows me , knows that I say it how it is!
I'm the same with dog training 'Sit means Sit'.
The more information given ,the more detailed the reply...Simple's :wink:
It may or may not surprise a few on the other side of the pond,that in the UK we already have a ban on all e-collar use in Wales and members of parliament around the rest of the country at present who wouldn't know what dog "bleep" smells like are moving with the masses of other 'Ill Informed' and uneducated individuals who see the e-collar as a correction for behaviour and a quick fix to behavioural issues ,rather than 'Training' the dog!...
It may make y'all think ''Well that's them Limey's'' problem ? let them sort it out?..but unfortunately in this 'New World' of Internet and so called 'Keyboard/Armchair experts' , Forums such as this that are widely available to anyone and threads on this subject with the topic as it is ,actually helps these 'Idiots' in their cause of Ignorance in the use of the tool in training dogs! ......Just a thought ?> and my reasoning for being my usual Blunt ,but honest self , nothing is ever personal with me :wink:
Y'all have a nice day :)

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Any one who knows me , knows that I say it how it is!
I'm the same with dog training 'Sit means Sit'.
The more information given ,the more detailed the reply...Simple's
It may or may not surprise a few on the other side of the pond,that in the UK we already have a ban on all e-collar use in Wales and members of parliament around the rest of the country at present who wouldn't know what dog "bleep" smells like are moving with the masses of other 'Ill Informed' and uneducated individuals who see the e-collar as a correction for behaviour and a quick fix to behavioural issues ,rather than 'Training' the dog!...
It may make y'all think ''Well that's them Limey's'' problem ? let them sort it out?..but unfortunately in this 'New World' of Internet and so called 'Keyboard/Armchair experts' , Forums such as this that are widely available to anyone and threads on this subject with the topic as it is ,actually helps these 'Idiots' in their cause of Ignorance in the use of the tool in training dogs! ......Just a thought ?> and my reasoning for being my usual Blunt ,but honest self , nothing is ever personal with me
Y'all have a nice day
So after all this you dont even offer training tips? lol rude is as rude does I imagine there. too bad the antis have taken over yer manhood in jolly ol england......go shock a dog anyway just to piss em off.

So ol cheerio how would you go about training a dog to not dig?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

markj wrote:
So after all this you dont even offer training tips? lol rude is as rude does I imagine there. too bad the antis have taken over yer manhood in jolly ol england......go shock a dog anyway just to piss em off.

So ol cheerio how would you go about training a dog to not dig?
Love to here yours too buddy ?....
But one suggestion from me is ....Concrete ! :wink:
Keeps the nails short too ! :mrgreen:

Frankug

E-Collar use for digging

Post by Frankug » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 pm

I would probably start with a "no"! Then tone, then let er rip at lowest setting and work up if necessary. Shock yourself first before you ever shock your dog with a collar. What I would want to train with a collar is not to respect the collar but to respect you. The longer I have dogs the less I like them. They certainly make some things easier at first but can create other problems down the road. I have used them a bunch and still put them on young dogs. More trash breaker hound application though. I have made tons of mistakes with them too, some dogs never should have a collar. Others could tolerate just a tone. Some can jump start my car. Since most of my original collars don't work any more, been trying to get dogs to do things without them though. Seems harder but has been more satisfying. FYI: have concrete kennels and it does help with nail length, also built a lot where they have free rein, dig all they want. Still have landscaping that is ruined on daily basis, ticks me off. They get a swift kick in the butt if caught in the act. Stern "NO"!. Everyone is also right, a tired dog is a less destructive one. They will dig if bored. Give them entertainment, stimulation. I don't put poo or pepper in holes! I deal with poo enough and not handling it a secondary time if I don't have to. People on this site say it works though. I would second that if you are at a 95/5 ratio on site you are doing alright. Gotta take good with bad. Most dog trainers think that no one else knows anything about training dogs. I think there is more than one way to "skin a cat" so to speak. There are millions of dogs out there, so I know somebody else probably knows something. The reason I am on the site anyway. I have made tons of mistakes. Maybe somebody can learn from those and I can pick up a few tidbits along the way.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm

But one suggestion from me is ....Concrete !
Concrete is great for the kennel runs, but we hunt on open ground. Mine run on 4 acres of wired e fence with stubborn dog collars set to high so they stay put on my land. For digging I catch one I hold their head in the hole and slap them about the head saying no dig. Usually 2 or 3 times of this the give it up. Barking I use my garden hose.

Just because you cant use the e collar doesnt mean it isnt a fantastic tool if used correctly.

concrete? is that all ya got? lol

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

polmaise wrote:
jbwardfamily wrote:Has anyone ever used their e-collar to stop their dog from digging? I was thinking that using it on the lowest level would make her think twice when she starts. I'd start with a tone first. She is a 6 month old Brittany and is already used to having a collar on with the underground fence.
Jesus Christ !! give us strength.......... :roll:
Y'all beyond help. Get outta here before it makes yer brain fry!
You were Not thinking!!..You were ?
Did He give you strength? The rolling eyes might have turned Him off.

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't like to use an e collar for everything problem that pops up. If I can get my hands on the dog - much preferable.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

markj wrote:
But one suggestion from me is ....Concrete !
Concrete is great for the kennel runs, but we hunt on open ground. Mine run on 4 acres of wired e fence with stubborn dog collars set to high so they stay put on my land. For digging I catch one I hold their head in the hole and slap them about the head saying no dig. Usually 2 or 3 times of this the give it up. Barking I use my garden hose.

Just because you cant use the e collar doesnt mean it isnt a fantastic tool if used correctly.

concrete? is that all ya got? lol
Love me , love my dog :wink:
Can't say how the OP'S 6 MONTH old pup will take to it?..I'm sure your advice is good :mrgreen:

Frankug

E-Collar use for digging

Post by Frankug » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I don't like to hit my dogs upside the head. FYI.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:20 pm

Frankug wrote: They get a swift kick in the butt if caught in the act.
Better than the head You would say then?
So far we have some who prefer to get their hands on the dog,and others that give them a kick,and some that say a slap on the head sorts it?..Others suggest 'Zap it'.
Hmmmm! ..I'll leave y'all to suggest what ever you want. I'll Train mine ,Thanks :wink:
This Original posters pup,is sure to have a good start in life for doing something that has been allowed to do?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:27 am

I'll Train mine ,Thanks
Please enlighten us as we are not worthy.....