Chewing up the dog bed

aulrich

Chewing up the dog bed

Post by aulrich » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Is there away to stop a dog from destroying a dog bed. it's been a while since we had one and this one did last a week. what is odd is that he does not chew the furniture, 2ish hours of off leash a day as a rule. so it's just odd

CDN_Cocker

Re: Chewing up the dog bed

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't give mine a dog bed for that reason. He just lays on the plastic tray in the bottom of the crate. I'm hoping once he matures that I can reintroduce a bed.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:39 pm

I don't use dog beds,rags,blankets.or anything they can chew up & swallow that can get twisted up in their stomach & cause intestinal blockage.It only takes one time to kill your dog or cost you a small fortune to save their life.
I have learned you never know when a dog that has never chewed up anything in their life might decide to,for who knows what reason but seen it happen. :roll:

Sodey

Post by Sodey » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:10 pm

My dog has destroyed any bed, towel, blanket, etc that I've ever offered him. As for now, he gets nothing. Sleeps on the plastic liner and really doesn't seem to mind. I've been looking at kuranda beds as of lately. The trainer I'm working with has one in each kennel run, and he swears by them. I'm not sure how well they would work inside a kennel though.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:04 pm

The JRT is no longer peeing on the other dogs' crates , but will still chew up their beds- not his own. :). I take all beds out in the morning and put them back in just before they go to bed at night.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Chewing up the dog bed

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:02 pm

I've got a nine year old female that will destroy a dog bed that's out in their run in the garage, but has never chewed on her crate pad, on the other hand my Dez will not chew the bed that's out in the run, but can't have anything in his crate, or he shreds/eats it. With the dogs I've had they either do or they don't. And once they do they can never be 100% trusted again.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:23 pm

OK so it's not weird, phew, he had been doing fine without, and if anything he had acted weird with it around, half the time fine and the other half anxious. So away it goes for now.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:24 am

Our lab never chewed bedding but many other things in the house got shredded over the years. She has pretty much stopped. The younger pointer would go after bedding right in front of us as well as drag any bedding out of the crates on the patio into the yard and go at it. This went on for more than a year off and on. In the past 6 months she has settled down and nothing seems to be on her list to chew. Im sure that will change now that I posted this.