Transitioning from truck cab to truck bed...

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Up to this point I have been transporting my springer pup in a crate in the back seat of my truck. Unfortunately he is getting so big (very long and leggy) that he has pretty much outgrown all of my smaller crates. I have a nice plastic crate that I can ratchet strap into the bed of my truck. My pup doesn't hate riding in the car but I also wouldn't say he loves it either. Usually he looks around somewhat anxiously for the first few minutes and then he just lies down and goes to sleep. I'd like to transition him to the bed into his bigger crate but I want to do it delicately because I would prefer him to if not enjoy at least tolerate car rides.

Anybody have any good tips on how to go about this? I think I'll wait until the weather warms up a little bit first (-18F this morning). I was planning on very short rides at first and making the destination very fun so he associates it with fun. Maybe I'm taking too many precautions and its nothing to worry about but I don't want it to be an issue. Any other tips?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Transitioning from truck cab to truck bed...

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 pm

If it was summer I would say you are completely over thinking this, throw the crate and the dog in the box and go. In the winter I use an insulated crate cover "mud river".

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm

What size crate is your smaller one, and how big is your dog?

I had some concern about my setters' comfort in their truck crates. They go about 48-55 pounds and were in large size 400 crates. But I couldn't cram 5 of those into my truck. Then I realized that the dogs just curl up into little balls most of the time they're crated anyway, and we do fairly frequent pit stops for them on longer trips. So now we have two intermediate 300 crates in the back seat, and three of them plus a small one for our terrier in the capped bed.

So maybe you don't need to transition after all? If you decide to put your crate in the bed, snug it up against the cab to reduce bounce and jiggle, and make sure your pup is protected from wind and weather. I always tell my dogs that they don't have to like my way, but they have to go along with it :D

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 pm

shags wrote:What size crate is your smaller one, and how big is your dog?

I had some concern about my setters' comfort in their truck crates. They go about 48-55 pounds and were in large size 400 crates. But I couldn't cram 5 of those into my truck. Then I realized that the dogs just curl up into little balls most of the time they're crated anyway, and we do fairly frequent pit stops for them on longer trips. So now we have two intermediate 300 crates in the back seat, and three of them plus a small one for our terrier in the capped bed.

So maybe you don't need to transition after all? If you decide to put your crate in the bed, snug it up against the cab to reduce bounce and jiggle, and make sure your pup is protected from wind and weather. I always tell my dogs that they don't have to like my way, but they have to go along with it :D
He uses a bigger crate in the house but in the truck I've been using our medium sized wire crate. It is 30"L x 19"W x 23"H. My pup is only about 30 lbs right now but he is really long and tall. I think he's around 20" to 21" at the shoulder (I'd have to measure to be sure but he is at home and I'm not right now) and I'm not really sure how long he is. As long as he is curled up in a ball he fits alright but he isn't done growing and pretty soon he simply won't fit and I don't think I can get a bigger crate in the back seat of my truck so eventually he'll have to go in the bed. I'd like to get a dog box at some point.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm

My dogs usually don't like to ride much until they have been on their first hunting trip. After hunting for hours per day for several days in a row they start to look forward to hopping in that box. The rest of their lives they ride better.

Frankug

Post by Frankug » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm

This is one thing I honestly never gave much thought. I just threw there butts in the back and rolled. I guess it worked out though. If I put my dog box in the back of the truck and pull up to the kennels. My dogs run straight to my truck and can't wait to get in. They are fired up because they know we are going hunting. I now have to put a few in the cab too. I have one that gets car sick so I just put her in the back for obvious reasons. I don't have -18f temps here though in Georgia. Most dogs are fired up they get to just go along for the ride wherever they may be going. The one that gets car sick thinks twice about it but would die if I left her behind. She loves the hunting.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 pm

rinker wrote:My dogs usually don't like to ride much until they have been on their first hunting trip. After hunting for hours per day for several days in a row they start to look forward to hopping in that box. The rest of their lives they ride better.
This has always been my experience too.

Charlie

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 am

I generally only take one dog at a time. I cover the carpet in the back of my truck and fold up the seats. I have a driving partner going out to the field, and then he is asleep on the way home. I would rather have him in the bed, but my tonneau is a PITA to remove.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm

FirearmFan wrote:Up to this point I have been transporting my springer pup in a crate in the back seat of my truck. Unfortunately he is getting so big (very long and leggy) that he has pretty much outgrown all of my smaller crates. I have a nice plastic crate that I can ratchet strap into the bed of my truck. My pup doesn't hate riding in the car but I also wouldn't say he loves it either. Usually he looks around somewhat anxiously for the first few minutes and then he just lies down and goes to sleep. I'd like to transition him to the bed into his bigger crate but I want to do it delicately because I would prefer him to if not enjoy at least tolerate car rides.

Anybody have any good tips on how to go about this? I think I'll wait until the weather warms up a little bit first (-18F this morning). I was planning on very short rides at first and making the destination very fun so he associates it with fun. Maybe I'm taking too many precautions and its nothing to worry about but I don't want it to be an issue. Any other tips?

This may sound corny, but if you have the new crate - just bring it in the house or in the garage or whatever, have him get in it for a couple minutes or a minute every day - maybe treat him or praise him to death. When hes used to that, shut the door, praise, same thing etc., then shut the door, and walk off inside for a few minutes, come back, let him out etc....When hes used to that then move it to the back of the truck, start over at square one, have him get in it, praise him, them shut the door, then shut the door, walk off, leave him in it for a few minutes by himself, come back, praise him, then go for a ride. You might be able to skip some steps if you read your dog and see theres no anxiety.

Your dog will love that crate if you go nice and slow. Only takes a couple minutes every day or every other day. Will be second nature. Better to go slow and gradual.