Does your dog ride up front

czeger

Does your dog ride up front

Post by czeger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:02 pm

First of all this is my first post I got a gsp puppy this fall and love coming on here to read anything I can her training is going good just started her on pigeons my question is how many of you transport your dog in the front seat or even back seat I let her ride up front was thinking of getting one if those seat covers from mud river anyone use one?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Does your dog ride up front

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:06 pm

No, of course not...but some do.
Your choice, but I would consider the dog and the worst case rather than the nicety of having pup curled up beside you.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:07 pm

I use one and their tough as nails. Be aware that a dog riding in the front is dangerous to you and your dog. But, ya got me. Mine rides there to. She didn't as a pup though.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:09 pm

No - crated in the back. I don't like hair floating around the front seat. :) Sometimes I do dress up... much safer too for both of us.

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Only my girl rides shotgun. In NJ, it's law that the dog must be in a crate or fastened.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Crated in the back.

carla

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Crate ratched down with some big cargo straps in the back. Being inside the vehicle loose , in an accident not only can the dog get hurt but them being tossed around inside could injury other passangers as well.

Del Lolo

Post by Del Lolo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 pm

"Does your dog ride up front?"

Never never never.
Crated in the back seat area.
The crate is the dog's equivalent of seat belts and air bags.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Many years ago My wife was bring my dogs to a friends house so I could leave work Friday night, and we could head to a field trial the next morning in MO. She had to slam on brakes and swerve and ended rolling truck on its side. Dogs were in crates in camper shell and all were ok. Wife had seat belt on and was ok. No loose dogs slamming into her head at 50 mph.
I can honestly say if they were loose in cab or in camper shell, they would not of been able to run the next morning at a field trial 4oo miles away.
They are another part of your family and should be treated with seat belts or secure crates.
IMHO

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 pm

If he's clean he can ride front if not in the box.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 am

No

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 am

nikegundog wrote:If he's clean he can ride front if not in the box.
Max goes to work with me and rides in the front of the pick-up. Once I just finnished a job & the bed of our pick-up loaded with equiptment.(not an inch of room to put max in the bed) Max decided to go roll in cow S#!!. It was a long ride home... My arm was stiff from holding him across the bench seat with his head out the other window. :D You have to love um !

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 am

Yes, Of course I do...........but some may not. I usually had 3 in front with me, don't try this if they won't listen to you. I am down to one now,it is a joy to have her sleep with her head over my arm while my hand is resting on the shifter knob. 30 some hours to Arizona, and the same thing back. The one year in Az I met a couple from Conn with a rental car. They were hunting for the week and they had their dogs crated but liked the idea of having them up front so from the time that I talked to them until they went home that is where the dogs rode.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 am

Mine usually ride wherever they want. But I had to put Squirt into a dog crate in back because he slobber's a tray built into the dash full of slobber. Bodie rides in the crate because he really would rather sit behind the wheel. Stormy goes to sleep before we go a half mile, he rides in the front passenger seat. Shortly after high school, I had a dog named Niki. She went with me everywhere, even on dates. Didn't date the same girl to many times because Niki wouldn't let them sit next to me. First time it happened I thought it was pretty funny. Niki was in the back seat. Girl got in on the passenger side and as soon as she started to slide over, Niki came over the seat and took the spot next to me. Niki was a super dog!

Susie

Post by Susie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:46 am

A good friend lost both her husband and Chessie in a head on collision...drunk driver, not there fault. The dog was riding shotgun and on impact slammed into his owner. Paramedics agreed had the dog not slammed into her husband (causing severe head trauma) he probably would have made it. Not being a good listener I was on the interstate and was involved in a ten car pile up...car behind me hit my van and slammed us into the rear end of a semi...one of my CBRs was riding shotgun. Her head hit the windshield and broke it but we both survived. Moral of story...crate your dog or secure them in a seatbelt/harness...your stupid if you don't!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Susie wrote:A good friend lost both her husband and Chessie in a head on collision...drunk driver, not there fault. The dog was riding shotgun and on impact slammed into his owner. Paramedics agreed had the dog not slammed into her husband (causing severe head trauma) he probably would have made it. Not being a good listener I was on the interstate and was involved in a ten car pile up...car behind me hit my van and slammed us into the rear end of a semi...one of my CBRs was riding shotgun. Her head hit the windshield and broke it but we both survived. Moral of story...crate your dog or secure them in a seatbelt/harness...your stupid if you don't!
I ride cycle, dirt bikes, four wheelers, water ski, snow ski, ice fish, work in industrial setting as well as being a part-time fireman for the last 15 years, probably 100 other things more dangerous than driving my truck, having the dog next to me in the cab doesn't get much better. Some people find comfort living in a bubble, I do not, I don't think calling people stupid is necessary in this thread.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Susie wrote:A good friend lost both her husband and Chessie in a head on collision...drunk driver, not there fault. The dog was riding shotgun and on impact slammed into his owner. Paramedics agreed had the dog not slammed into her husband (causing severe head trauma) he probably would have made it. Not being a good listener I was on the interstate and was involved in a ten car pile up...car behind me hit my van and slammed us into the rear end of a semi...one of my CBRs was riding shotgun. Her head hit the windshield and broke it but we both survived. Moral of story...crate your dog or secure them in a seatbelt/harness...your stupid if you don't!

I would not say "stupid" as much as I would say selfish.

It's not about trying to live a life without risks to life and limb....it is about living by wisely managing risks and thinking of others, human and dog, ahead of oneself.
However, not everyone can put aside personal desires or consider past the moment.
There will always be the imagined tough guys or the "I want to" folks.....one can only wish their dogs and families good luck.
Odds are, all will be well.
Seems an odd matter on which to play the odds but...one will have bad decisions made for what appear to be good decisions at the moment.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Mountaineer wrote:

I would not say "stupid" as much as I would say selfish.

It's not about trying to live a life without risks to life and limb....it is about living by wisely managing risks and thinking of others, human and dog, ahead of oneself.
However, not everyone can put aside personal desires or consider past the moment.
There will always be the imagined tough guys or the "I want to" folks.....one can only wish their dogs and families good luck.
Odds are, all will be well.
Seems an odd matter on which to play the odds but...one will have bad decisions made for what appear to be good decisions at the moment.
And the name calling continues......... :roll:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:39 pm

I suspect that the OP has been open to receiving the responses given on several sides of the issue to begin to make what is the best decision for him and his pup, personally, in this matter.
I hope so, anyway.
As most of us are a bit more worried about hurt dogs or people than hurt feelings...it does take all kinds though.
Oh, well.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Mountaineer wrote:I suspect that the OP has been open to receiving the responses given on several sides of the issue to begin to make what is the best decision for him and his pup, personally, in this matter.
I hope so, anyway.
As most of us are a bit more worried about hurt dogs or people than hurt feelings...it does take all kinds though.
Oh, well.
Yes and Susie's response showed her sediments just fine before the name calling, but then it takes all kinds...
Oh, well.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm

My dog rides up front whenever no one else is in the truck. He is more comfortable, and loves riding up there. Dogs live a short time compared to humans, might as well let them have as much fun as possible.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Not gonna tell. wouldnt be prudent at this juncture...

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 pm

She sometimes rides up front, she sometimes rides in the back, she sometimes gets crated in the bed of my pick up. She's happiest riding shotgun, but seems to understand that if someone else is along she has to be in the jumper seat. I've got a Nissan Frontier. For us, it depends on how far we're going, where we're going and how many of us there are. She has NEVER ridden in the bed outside the crate.

cjj

Post by cjj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:42 pm

My dogs used too ride any were they wanted in the suv , until one night a 17 year old girl ,only had been driving 2 weeks pulled out in front of me I T boned here doing 50 mph ,never had a chance to even put on the brakes , no one was hurt, Thank God I left the dogs at home that night . Now they Ride in there crates strapped down, they will never run free in my cars again .

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:09 pm

nikegundog wrote:
I ride cycle, dirt bikes, four wheelers, water ski, snow ski, ice fish, work in industrial setting as well as being a part-time fireman for the last 15 years, probably 100 other things more dangerous than driving my truck, having the dog next to me in the cab doesn't get much better. Some people find comfort living in a bubble, I do not, I don't think calling people stupid is necessary in this thread.
Don't buckle the kids either?

They would much rather not haft to put seat belt on. But I do LOVE them and SAFTY is more important than comfort.
And That Is A Fact!!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm

But....but....she'd be so sad if she couldn't eat her double cheeseburger from McDonald's on the front seat coming back from grouse hunting. Really adds a lot for me having her beside me all the time. Spends all day at work with me too.

Privileges come with old age and senility. :(

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:54 pm

Beautiful!! I do love those Wirehairs, but where does she keep her purse? You did say she buys? My Wirehairs have always lived in the house with us also, sleep in the bed.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Mine rides in front seat but he lays on the floorboards on passenger side. He's not allowed on the seats and never tests it - he prefers the floor

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:33 pm

There should be some restraint used. If you are in a collision and the dog gets loose, you may never see the dog again. Scared dog, running near traffic. Harnesses are cheap and easy to use. There are a lot of covers made to protect the seat covers, and (being from MN) the covers can also keep you warm if you hit the ditch, and will protect your clothing if roadside repairs are needed. I put too much time into my ESS to break her teeth of on my dash board.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:04 pm

The comments about the name calling were my thoughts exactly! Absolutely uncalled for!

Charlie

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

birddogger wrote:The comments about the name calling were my thoughts exactly! Absolutely uncalled for!

Charlie
I don't mind being called stupid, but when someone refers to me as a gentleman or intelligent, that really tics me off!! :lol:

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Image

But....but....she'd be so sad if she couldn't eat her double cheeseburger from McDonald's on the front seat coming back from grouse hunting. Really adds a lot for me having her beside me all the time. Spends all day at work with me too.

What a push over! My guy's don't get any special seat cover's! :-)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:47 am

DonF wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Image

What a push over! My guy's don't get any special seat cover's! :-)
Bass-O-Flague no less!!!!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Only on the motorcycle....

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:11 pm

markj wrote:
Only on the motorcycle....
Does she do the shifting as well as handle the steering?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 am

Does she do the shifting as well as handle the steering?
The clutch gets her every time.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:34 am

I really believe that a dog box is where a dog belongs for their safety, yours, and others.

Had an aquaintance that was killed by a guy who had his dog riding up front with him. The dog apparanty decided to go over to the drivers seat on I-70 and when the driver attempted to push the dog back over to the passenger seat he simultaneously steered the car to the left hitting the motorcycle and sending it over the concrete median and into oncoming traffic.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
birddogger wrote:The comments about the name calling were my thoughts exactly! Absolutely uncalled for!

Charlie
I don't mind being called stupid, but when someone refers to me as a gentleman or intelligent, that really tics me off!! :lol:
I'll remember that. :wink:

Charlie

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 am

Max2 wrote:
nikegundog wrote:If he's clean he can ride front if not in the box.
Max goes to work with me and rides in the front of the pick-up. Once I just finnished a job & the bed of our pick-up loaded with equiptment.(not an inch of room to put max in the bed) Max decided to go roll in cow S#!!. It was a long ride home... My arm was stiff from holding him across the bench seat with his head out the other window. :D You have to love um !
You need one of these.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:42 am

Just depends. Usually when they are a puppy or young, they wont ride up front much. Im like others and think it can be dangerous if a dog is not well behaved. Punches to the head when they try to get too close to me (not to hard) teach them real quick they stay on their side and there is no coming over by me while Im driving or sitting in the vehicle for that matter.

Once their trained it just depends on if they're dirty or not. Sometimes I'll put her in the box in the back, let her clean herself off and then mid trip when I take a pee break she can ride up front if coming from the field etc. She just curls up and goes to sleep.
Last edited by KsHusker on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:49 pm

My GSP rides in the back seat of my 4-door pickup...few minutes into the trip he lays down and usually stays there until time to get out. My Airedale does the same thing, although she will get in the front seat if I let her. I live in a small rural community...guess I take a more casual approach to it than some. Kids are all grown and gone so my dogs are more like kids than animals...sure do make life more enjoyable!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:45 pm

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising- ... man-155019

If you haven't seen these, they're hilarious and reinforce why dogs should ride in the front. Courtesy of RodW. Only thing that would make them better is if they were Wirehairs; everyone knows they're superior drivers!! 8)

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm

To go along with the safety reasons, I have a lab along with a gsp and those hairs are hard to get out of the truck. When deer season rolls around I do not like that scent in my truck when it comes time to have the need to be scent free.

thefirstndsecond

Post by thefirstndsecond » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:13 am

remmy wrote:Only my girl rides shotgun. In NJ, it's law that the dog must be in a crate or fastened.
It is not the law in NJ yet. They have not adopted it.