Alabama Bird Hunters?

ben33127

Alabama Bird Hunters?

Post by ben33127 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 pm

Anyone on this forum from Alabama? I am just really getting into bird hunting seriously and have found myself in the wrong part of the country I guess :D . I guess an addiction is an addiction no matter your location.

Also, does anyone have any contacts for leasing land that could possibly be used to place liberated birds in Alabama? Thanks for any help!

Kstring

Re: Alabama Bird Hunters?

Post by Kstring » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:43 pm

I am just across the state line in West Point, MS and have recently become interested in bird dogs since obtaining my GSP about a year ago. We have pockets of decent habitat around here but I have yet to find an area holding many, if any, wild birds. There are several outfitters around here trying to improve quail habitat but even they have to release birds.

I have learned one thing since working my dog on birds: the birds may not be plentiful but interest in the sport is high. Once word got out that I have a bird dog that can do the job I have become mighty popular!!! Having to learn to say NO in as nice a way as possible, but does make me proud of my dog.

Frankug

Alabama Bird Hunters?

Post by Frankug » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:30 pm

What part of bama? I hunt there a good bit. Union Springs is the bird dog capital of the world. I hunt near there a good bit.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:31 pm

I am in Birmingham. I have heard of Union Springs, I think they have a statue of Elhew Snake Foot in the town center, if the stories are true.

Frankug

Alabama Bird Hunters?

Post by Frankug » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Google Alabama Quail Hunting Trail. Ought to give you a start. Where all the dots are is down near Union Springs. It does appear there is some up near Birmingham. Unlike out west there is not as much public land in the south, some though. Most are hunting preserve, private land types. Better than nothing. I would pay to take my dogs to some birds. Not as many wild birds as there used to be, but there are still birds. A preserve can hunt through March, where the season ends at the end of February for wild birds. Good many trials around Union Springs and Hurtsboro, AL. If you go eat at the City Grill in Hurtsboro on the weekend in Quail Season you could find somebody to help get you on Birds. Look for an older lady named Pat Oneal. Super nice and has been running bird dogs for the past 60+ years. She could help you out. There is a statue of a bird dog in downtown Union Springs. FYI.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Wow, very small world. We leased deer land by Ms Pats house on 22 in Hatchichube AL. I have eaten at the city grill a ton, I suppose you know Donnie as well?

cistone00

Post by cistone00 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:46 am

There is a group of die-hard quail hunters that meets monthly in Birmingham, AL. Visit there website @ http://www.alabamaquailhunters.org.

LAboykin

Post by LAboykin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:48 am

I'm in Alabama, but south Alabama (LA = Lower Alabama)... Agree with what the guys are saying ITT... Union Springs is a great area... That's actually where I got my pup from.... The breeder (Dansby's Sporting Kennels) runs field trials and quail hunts from his land there..

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:50 am

In Fairhope AL, We hunt as much as possible. Next season I am going to try to hunt a few different spots on the Quail trail!

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:41 pm

You should come to the Doublehead Resort near Town Creek, Alabama and check out the UFTA National Finals. We will be holding the event Feb. 15th through Feb. 22nd. We have pointing and flushing divisions. We have 188 Amateur Pointing and 278 Open Pointing entries. We also have Pointing Doubles, Fushing Open and Flushing Doubles, Women's, Youth and Seniors Pointing Divisions. We will have well over a thousand runs throughout the week. There will be several folks from Alabama that you could meet and make some connections. You can look on the UFTA website for a schedule of events.
http://ufta-online.com/
If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Frankug

Post by Frankug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 pm

A lot of the Pro guys are running dogs throughout the south in the winter. The Tracy's have a winter kennel near Hurtsboro. I have seen many of these guys run dogs at several trials. They are awesome to watch. I am sitting here trying to figure out how to go to that one. Thanks for the link. The south is a wonderful place to run dogs in the winter. Four solid months. November to February for most. I didn't think LABoykin was in Los Angeles. Funny. Most of the country is getting snowed out or already is and i am just trying to get all my work done so i can get back out there. Yeee-haww!

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am

Are there that many wild birds in the south? I thought that they had all but disappeared?

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am

[quote="smoothbean"]You should come to the Doublehead Resort near Town Creek, Alabama and check out the UFTA National Finals. We will be holding the event Feb. 15th through Feb. 22nd. We have pointing and flushing divisions. We have 188 Amateur Pointing and 278 Open Pointing entries. We also have Pointing Doubles, Fushing Open and Flushing Doubles, Women's, Youth and Seniors Pointing Divisions. We will have well over a thousand runs throughout the week. There will be several folks from Alabama that you could meet and make some connections.

Do the trialers MAKE their dogs rides in the front? 8-10 large dogs riding in the front of a pickemup truck could be dangerous!! NAW