Constant Tapping

MOshorthair

Constant Tapping

Post by MOshorthair » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:35 pm

I have a 5 year old male GSP that when he is not in his kennel he is wanting to be in the house. It's not practical for me to let him inside all the time, so he sits at the back door and taps on the door constantly. I've never let him in to reward this behavior, but I equate it to barking. My wife is ready to cut his paws off, but I'm afraid that would limit how he covers ground. :D Any other suggestions on how to correct this behavior short of keeping him in his kennel 24 / 7?

jack the dog

Re: Constant Tapping

Post by jack the dog » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:32 am

I had a dog that scratched at the door like that. I put the training collar on him and when he would scratch the door I would push the tone button on the remote. Never had to shock him, the tone would get him stop, so after a few times he stopped completely scratching the door.

Might work for yours too.
If not put the collar on the wife and when she goes to cut the dogs paws off, push the shock button :D

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Fix it or you'll be out there with the dog ... tapping.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:09 pm

The hardest part of E-Collar training the wife is to get them to put it on :!: :lol:

tieflyer

Post by tieflyer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:The hardest part of E-Collar training the wife is to get them to put it on :!: :lol:
And then they don't leave it on.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:09 pm

MOshorthair wrote:I have a 5 year old male GSP that when he is not in his kennel he is wanting to be in the house. It's not practical for me to let him inside all the time, so he sits at the back door and taps on the door constantly. I've never let him in to reward this behavior, but I equate it to barking. My wife is ready to cut his paws off, but I'm afraid that would limit how he covers ground. :D Any other suggestions on how to correct this behavior short of keeping him in his kennel 24 / 7?
I can't think of a dog that wouldn't indicate it wanted to get if in if it had access to the back door. Either it's in the kennel or in the house - problem solved . :) That'll be $500.00 for my professional advice. :D
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KsHusker

Post by KsHusker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Put his collar on when he goes out. After a week of having the e collar on when hes outside, put him out again with it. Sit inside, have the remote, listen - when the tapping starts hit the button, if he does it again turn up the stimulation. If the dog isnt dumb a few times of this would probably cure it.

MOshorthair

Post by MOshorthair » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:04 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:The hardest part of E-Collar training the wife is to get them to put it on :!: :lol:
Tried that she won't even hold the collar if I have the transmitter. I don't know why she doesn't trust me. :roll:

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Maybe if we could put a diamond in place of the light & tell them it's the new rage necklace in HOLLYWOOD!! :D

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 pm

I had a dog that took the scratching at the door to a new level when ignored. He would SLAM his body into the door. Apparently this has worked once with the screen door at his owners (broke it) but at my house I have glass doors. I had to put a fast and serious STOP to that and the E-collar was the ticket.

I have a client that occasionally boards their dog and he scratches at the door. Can't fix it because they allow it at home. but my lab started to copy him. I open the door, stomp on the deck in front of him, screaming NO! then immediately go in and shut the door. After about 3 sessions of this he stopped. He needs a reminder every so often but I can be less dramatic and he only needs the one.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Maybe if we could put a diamond in place of the light & tell them it's the new rage necklace in HOLLYWOOD!! :D
Only if husbands will wear them so we can correct them every time the pee on the floor in the bathroom.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 pm

OUCH!! :lol: