how much ground to run a trial?

jimbo&rooster

how much ground to run a trial?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:37 pm

for an average 2 day AKC walking trial how many acres of grounds would be necessary for 1/2hr gundog stakes? I'm thinking single course. I have run on grounds previously that were anywhere from 100 to probably 600 acres. I am just curious what you guys think would be the minimum you can get away with.

Jim

SubMariner

Re: how much ground to run a trial?

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:46 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:for an average 2 day AKC walking trial how many acres of grounds would be necessary for 1/2hr gundog stakes? I'm thinking single course. I have run on grounds previously that were anywhere from 100 to probably 600 acres. I am just curious what you guys think would be the minimum you can get away with.

Jim
Acreage is not the issue; it's the distance. The average handler will walk at approx 3.5 mph pace. So, the course should be 1.5 - 1.75 miles in total length. This would allow time for bird work. With most dogs running 100-200 yds left or right of the course, you need 1.5-1.75mi x 300 yd wide. (You can convert this to acreage.)

We recently ran a two day walking trial down here in FL on a course that was approx 1.75 miles in length through wooded and open areas.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I think 100 would be tight unless it was a narrow linear course. Biggest thing is to make sure you have a good buffer at the end of your course, aint nothing worse than getting to the end of the course and not have a place to show a strong finishing dog. I despise having to water a dog at the end of a trial. Doing a U in a field is also stupid, let a dog use the wind to decide what edge to run.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Depends on the terrain you have, but anything less than 1/2 section (320 acres) will be tight IMO.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:43 am

Like it has been said it depends on the terrain. As an easy way to figure I used my trial to compare. I have 2,400 acres and run 3 one hour stakes, so 2400 divided by 3 = 800. That is for an hour stake so divide in half to get 400 for a half hour. You cant ever have enough ground and you surely dont want to run out it. That would be a great way to have people never come back.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:51 am

Are you thinking about hosting a trial?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:09 am

rinker wrote:Are you thinking about hosting a trial?
im thinking real hard about it. the state of Indiana has not had trials (AKC/AF) for some time due to some funding they recieve from the federal, not allowing them to use state owned land. However, Im am trying to get my ducks in a row, and poosibly figure out how to start a club, and host events in the future.

I know that they ran an AF trial this past fall on some privately owned land, and Im just trying to get a feel for what is needed.

Jim

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:33 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:
im thinking real hard about it. the state of Indiana has not had trials (AKC/AF) for some time due to some funding they recieve from the federal, not allowing them to use state owned land. However, Im am trying to get my ducks in a row, and poosibly figure out how to start a club, and host events in the future.

I know that they ran an AF trial this past fall on some privately owned land, and Im just trying to get a feel for what is needed.

Jim

I am afraid that what is needed for trials to resume on public land in that state is for a federal revamp of the Pittman Robertson funding criteria and for the state of Indiana to stand to lose part of their PR funding. Neither of those things is likely to happen.

Good luck in your efforts.

RayG

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Right, that's why he is talking about trying to host a trial on private land.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:25 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:

Jim

I am afraid that what is needed for trials to resume on public land in that state is for a federal revamp of the Pittman Robertson funding criteria and for the state of Indiana to stand to lose part of their PR funding. Neither of those things is likely to happen.

Good luck in your efforts.

RayG

Right, Thats why I am trying to get a feel fro what kind of realestate is needed to support a trial because I understand I will need to find private property to play on

Jim

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Jim,

Let me or Chris know what you need help with for starting the club, or anything of the other info for running a trial. After everything we did to get the club going here and trials started back up in SC we might be able to help.

I know where there is some old mine country that you wont need very many acres at all to get 30 mins out of. Let me know if you need me to send you some directions!!

When we held our walking trial on new grounds that had never had a FT at I went and put dogs down on multiple occasions and walked the course to see how the time worked out and how the course worked. After holding the trial now we have an even better idea on how to make a few improvements and still have little impact to the landowner.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:Jim,

Let me or Chris know what you need help with for starting the club, or anything of the other info for running a trial. After everything we did to get the club going here and trials started back up in SC we might be able to help.

I know where there is some old mine country that you wont need very many acres at all to get 30 mins out of. Let me know if you need me to send you some directions!!

When we held our walking trial on new grounds that had never had a FT at I went and put dogs down on multiple occasions and walked the course to see how the time worked out and how the course worked. After holding the trial now we have an even better idea on how to make a few improvements and still have little impact to the landowner.
Man If we ran a trial in that jungle the handlers would have to wear garmins! Im not sure I didn't leave a part of my self there! I figure once I have a feel for thing Ill be talking to you and chris about the details.

Jim

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Jimbo -

Nearby me there is a dog training area where they run trials. The trial grounds are about a half mile deep and more or less square. I guess it is about 250-300 acres. There are two fields that are cropped, but the rest is fallow. You can squeeze in an 1/2 hr. horseback stake but in reality it is about 25 minutes. However, there is plenty of room for a half hour walking stake, even 45 minutes.

The English Setter Club of America in Medford, NJ comprises about 300 acres of mostly fallow ground groomed for trials and training and routinely hosts half hour horseback stakes. It is no problem to get a full hour walking stake done on those grounds. The grounds are fenced in, so it is no problem to run right up against the property boundaries, which helps.

My best guess is that 200 acres of mostly fallow ground would be sufficient for a half hour walking stake, especially if the tract was a relatively narrow rectangle. If the ground was heavily farmed and all you had was edges, you probably need more.

Again, good luck.

RayG

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 am

As an adjunct to this discussion, here are pictures from our walking trial on Jan 25 & 26/14 in Ocala, FL: http://cfgspc.weebly.com/photo-gallery.html